- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Pumped

Pumped

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
So I've been using the MM 715 for the past few months now. In the first two months I used my abdomen and now am using my thighs. I have scars all over from the infusion sites. These are dark spots and refuse to go away!! I'm afraid that if this keeps up, I will have terribly pockmarked thighs and tummy. Is there something I'm doing wrong that the scars stay or is there something I should be actively doing to make them go away?

amccrazgrl

amccrazgrl

• Seniors
  • 885 posts
They go away slowly trust me. I've been using the pump for 6months and it takes some time. If you blood sugars are in control they go away a bit faster. I just rotate from side to side. (right/left)
April Type 1 DX'd 4-16-96 at age 12
13 days before 13th bday 15 yrs ago

AM=10mg Lisnipril & Vitamin D
PM=10mg Zetia

Animas Blue Ping since 12-28-09
Cozmo Blue Pump 07-08-05 to 12-28-09

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
They will be there for quite a while. I think some of my scars date back 2 months at a time. I wonder if a light coating of neosporing would help them go away faster. Personally, it doesn't both me, but then again I'm a guy and some of us don't care about small little marks. (not all though)

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

JoeV

JoeV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been on a minimed for 9 years. I have gone as long as 5 days without changing my site. I am now staying always at 3 days. I find that the 4 and 5 day sites seem to be damaged more and heal slower as well as the insulin just seem less effective. At 3 days I have no noticable marks.

Cinnabon

Cinnabon

• Seniors
  • 3,291 posts
I have those too. I always do it at the 3 day mark, but they never turn dark. I also switch from side to side. Im female and yea, it bothers me a little, but nothing like the feeling of freedom and control you have on a pump.
T1- 27 yrs
MM-522

A1C steady @ 6.9 for 1.5 yrs. Endo decided to keep me there after a severe hypo causing car accident.
10-2010- 7.1:eek: Due to Ayestin, a medication for an Ovarian Cyst. Its gone but Very BAD side effects, such as constant HBS.

Posted Image
I see thru God's eyes!!!!

http://www.facebook....Leon/1068478571

dws

dws

• Members
  • 141 posts
What color are your dark spots? black, red, etc? could be some dried blood under the skin if black . If red then it could be irratation. I'd put some neosporin on the site when you remove the set.
don
DWS , type 1, dx 01/1940, age 5

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts
Mine take forever to disappear and when the discoloration is finally gone you can still see where the needle was inserted.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Pumped. What type of infusion sets are you using? I had those marks also when I tried the sils....when I went over to using the 6mm quicksets the marks disappeared. I never have more than one day worth of marks anymore. You might try a different set or a shorter one.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Linn

Linn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I have been a pumper for over 2 years. My CDS told me that the best way to avoid having problems is to do sites in a clock fashion. I switch from upper abdomen left to upper abdomen right to mid way, then other side mid way then lower abdomen, etc. My instructor was a pumper too and that greatly helped me.
I do not use the quik sets anymore and have noticed less problems with healing, etc.. I now use the soft sets. I have only used my abdomen and never used the leg. I was wondering some time back though how I would do on the leg.. how many of you here routinely use leg sites?
BTW I go 3 days with a site.
40 year old female
Type 1 - Dx Summer of 2003 at the age of 36
Managing Info:
pumping Humalog with a Minimed Paradigm 512 pump and Ultrasmart Glucose Meter.
Update Aug 2007- Put my order in for a new deltec pump.
Most recent Hb1ac's:
July 2007 - 7.8
Jan 2007 - 6.9
;)

Zokes

Zokes

• Members
  • 109 posts
I rotate thru abdomen and legs also. I prefer the abdomen (more convenient). I get the marks also but haven't timed the healing process. Besides, I'm such a hairy beast, the marks get lost in the fray anyway.

(Yes, I am a male)
T1 since 1976.
MM 715 Pumper since 3/28/05

Pumped

Pumped

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

What color are your dark spots? black, red, etc? could be some dried blood under the skin if black . If red then it could be irratation. I'd put some neosporin on the site when you remove the set.
don

They're little black marks and there is no perceptible bump or anything there which scares me. The skin texture is very uniform with the rest of my skin, but that section is just black. I'll try the neosporin, for sure.

Pumped. What type of infusion sets are you using? I had those marks also when I tried the sils....when I went over to using the 6mm quicksets the marks disappeared. I never have more than one day worth of marks anymore. You might try a different set or a shorter one.

I use the Quick-sets - 9mm. I asked my endo if I should use the 6mm instead, but she said that it might get kinked. I've been trying to find the difference between the two and who should be using which but haven't found any online.

I too rotate between my thighs and abdomen every 3 days. I make it a point not to re-insert close to any of the black scars - but it's becoming more difficult with so many of them all over!!:confused:

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts

They're little black marks and there is no perceptible bump or anything there which scares me. The skin texture is very uniform with the rest of my skin, but that section is just black. I'll try the neosporin, for sure.

I use the Quick-sets - 9mm. I asked my endo if I should use the 6mm instead, but she said that it might get kinked. I've been trying to find the difference between the two and who should be using which but haven't found any online.

I too rotate between my thighs and abdomen every 3 days. I make it a point not to re-insert close to any of the black scars - but it's becoming more difficult with so many of them all over!!:confused:

I've used both 6 and 9 mm sets. Never had a 6mm kink.

Pumped

Pumped

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
That's good to know, Spike. I might just try them.

Also, can anybody point me in the direction of good information on the difference between the 6mm & 9mm canulas, and who should be using which?

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
There really isn't any way to say which you should be using. It is up to which feels better for you and which gets the job done. Most types of infusion sets have at least two canula lengths available. The reason being is you need to get under the skin layer, but not hit the muscle layer (as it can hurt.) And for different people that can be different amounts. Most people just try different ones and find the ones that don't hurt and also allow the insulin to be absorbed effectively (basically meaning it doesn't take all day for one bolus to be out of the system and you run high for hours on end.)

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 111 posts
Yup, me, too, I'm scared with red dots that are slow to heal.
I'm on the IR1250 and I go at most 2 1/2 days before swapping out and rotating from abs to thighs, left to right.
I've been using the soft-set for the past 10 months but I've only recently
noticed these marks.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Pumped ...I started on the 9mm quicksets and it was decided because of my height and weight. I was having issues with the longer canulas bending under my skin. I do not carry much weight on my belly. I called Medtronic and they sent me a sample of the 6mm canula's to try. When I decided I liked them better they swapped out any unopened boxes of 9mm for 6mm. I haven't had a kink since.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

someone

someone

• Seniors
  • 1,227 posts
i try the 6mm ones

bonedog

bonedog

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been on a pump for about 8 years now. I get scars, but I treat them with this tea tree oil cream that makes them heal quite a bit faster. My stomach doesn't look exactly perfect, but it's better than it used to be. I'm not plugging any particular brand, but here's the one I use:

[url]http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172831&prrfnbr=182480&search=tea%20tree[/url]

Hope it helps :)

+Bonedog

Pumped

Pumped

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Good tip, bonedog, thanks!

As an update: I've started using the 6mm canulas (Quick-sets still) and have noticed a significant decrease in scars! Also, these hurt much less and my BS are under the same control. Very happy I tried this!

SugaryOne

SugaryOne

• Members
  • 118 posts
Seems like the 6mm quickset is getting good reviews. I must be using the 9 right now then, I'll definitely try the 6 asap. :)
Type 1: 11yrs.
Diagnosed: age 4.
Currently pumping with: a purple Cozmo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users