Can I use expired test strips?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
Hi, How long can I use expired test strips or should I get new ones?

Thanks, Rob

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts

Hi, How long can I use expired test strips or should I get new ones?

Thanks, Rob

Funny you should ask that question tonight! From all my years of testing, using MANY different meters, I'd say that 2 months past expiration is PROBABLY ok, but I'd do a comparison on the strips with unexpired ones.

Tonight I grabbed an old meter (SureStep) with strips from 2002. The reading should have been 160, but was 120, a noticeable error. I'd NEVER intentionally use strips more than a few months old.

some strips technology seems to be more error prone shortly after going out of date, so there's no hard and fast rule. Technically, you aren't "supposed" to use outdated strips (my little disclaimer). I've got so many meters, that I can cross check results to my hearts content. My "gold standard" is an UltraSmart. I use the Flash, UltraSmart, Ultra, Accucheck Compact and once in a blue moon, a BD Logic, which I hate.

Make sure to promptly cap the vial after retrieving a strip using a DRY finger. don't store them in the car during even modestly warm weather. absolutely don't store in the car during hot summers.

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
My meter is a FreeStyle and test strips did expire in 03/2005 and I hate to get rid of them because I have 3 bottles.

Rob

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• Seniors
  • 757 posts

My meter is a FreeStyle and test strips did expire in 03/2005 and I hate to get rid of them because I have 3 bottles.

Rob

Surely you have calibration fluids that you can check them with!?
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
I recently went through all my strips and have been using them in order of about-to-expire so I don't have expired strips on hand any more. I have used strips that were about two months expired, and the results were within normal as far as I can tell. I compared a couple times with strips that were okay and the variance was negligible. However, if I ever get a HIGH or real low reading with the Freestyle-expired strips, I will re-test with good strips.

Like Peter said, use the calibrating solution if in doubt.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
I used an Accu-Chek strip that had expired over a year before and it was 2 mg/dL lower than the lab results. An unexpired Ultra strip was about 20 mg/dL higher than the lab results.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts

I'd NEVER intentionally use strips more than a few months old.

I hope everyone who read my previous post realized I MEANT I'd never intentionally use strips that are more than a few months out of expiration. If I was desperate, I might, but I'm never desperate for strips.

amccrazgrl

amccrazgrl

• Seniors
  • 885 posts
Could always call the company and ssee what they think.
Or sell them on ebay if you can't use them all or on here to some people.
April Type 1 DX'd 4-16-96 at age 12
13 days before 13th bday 15 yrs ago

AM=10mg Lisnipril & Vitamin D
PM=10mg Zetia

Animas Blue Ping since 12-28-09
Cozmo Blue Pump 07-08-05 to 12-28-09

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
Can I use expired test strips?

Only if you've given them a proper burial.

But then why would you want something that was entombed?

Geez, I've never had any strips that were close to being expired.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

lelggren

lelggren

• Seniors
  • 812 posts
I've never had test strips sit around long enough for the to expire, but I would say to not use them if they are more than a month. And, even then, test with the control solution to make sure. You might as well get rid of them if they are not going to give you an accurate reading anyway, you know? Also, try maybe calling customer service for your brand. I've heard of some who will send you replacement strips if you are within a certain amount of time after the expiration. It is worth looking into :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Laura Anne :star:

"Happy Day! All is well!

Pumping with Paradigm 712 since November 17th, 2004

Type 1 since April, 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users