• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Irish_Fiona

Irish_Fiona

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi folks :)

I'm trying to lose weight, not very much but I would like to lose a stone (12 pounds I think) a few years ago I lost some weight due to a low carb diet (not atkins, but mainly fish, veg, and some fruits and nuts) but came off it because my doctor told me low carb diets are bad for diabetics. When I was on this diet I felt great. i suffer from really bad water retention (when eating carbs) and was totally free of this on the diet. My stomach was flat for the first time ever!! I found my bs to be really manageable, and felt really good on it! I really want to go on the diet again. I've been diabetic for so long now that I know how to adjust my insulin accordingly.
Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Fiona x
Type 1 for 18 years.
Lantus and novorapid
Low carb diet
Laser therapy for retinopathy

liz32

liz32

• 500 plus
  • 1,338 posts
Hey Fiona; I guess it would depend on what you mean by low carb. Low carb works great for alot of diabetics. That's why we count carbs...but you do need some. I try and aim for roughly 50grams per meal without snacks. If I snack then I just take a bit from my next meal carb wise. Some here have extreamly low carb diets and it seems to work for them. I guess I would just do a little experementing and see how your bs numbers respond. If they stay in control and you're able to lower your carbs then you'll more than likely loose weight, and that will make you control even better. Anyways, just my 2 cents .
Liz:captain:

Irish_Fiona

Irish_Fiona

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks, Liz. When I was on the diet I cut out bread, pasta and rice, and got my carbs from veg and some fruits. I ate at least 6 or 7 portions of fruit and veg a day. My blood sugar was easily managed too.
I love to hear from people on the forum that eat low carb diets.
Fiona
Type 1 for 18 years.
Lantus and novorapid
Low carb diet

Cinnabon

Cinnabon

• 500 plus
  • 3,291 posts
I low-carb all the time. I find that my BS is GREAT and I dont gain weight either. The carbs I do eat are the "good" ones, salads and such.
T1- 27 yrs
MM-522

A1C steady @ 6.9 for 1.5 yrs. Endo decided to keep me there after a severe hypo causing car accident.
10-2010- 7.1:eek: Due to Ayestin, a medication for an Ovarian Cyst. Its gone but Very BAD side effects, such as constant HBS.

Posted Image
I see thru God's eyes!!!!

http://www.facebook....Leon/1068478571

Irish_Fiona

Irish_Fiona

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Cinnabon - Do you eat lots of protein when you are low carbing? Do you eat low fat foods or eat a little fat? I heard that high protein diets are really bad for diabetics because it can damage your kidneys, is this true? Sorry to be a pain, but could you give me some examples of what you eat? I'm anxious to start on a low carb diet again because I've put weight on recently and am starting to feel quite bad about myself. :(

Can I just say I am THRILLED to find this forum!! You lot are going to get sick of me with the amount of questions I have for you! :love:
Type 1 for 18 years.
Lantus and novorapid
Low carb diet

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts
Fiona,

If you are serious about going on a low-carb diet that is suitable for diabetics, read up on what Dr Bernstein has to say about it. He has written a couple of really good books on the subject. But there is lots of freely available information on his website (do a Google search). People on his forum will also give you all the advice you need.

I personally find 30 grams of carbs a day too restrictive. I have adapted the Bernstein diet to suit my lifestyle. I eat about 60 grams of carbs a day, about 70 grams of protein a day and as much saturated fat as I can.

It has certainly improved my blood sugar control. And I haven't suffered any of the dire consequences my doctor and CDE warned me about. After two years of being on a low-carb, high-fat diet, my lipid profile and kidney function continue to be excellent. My biggest challenge is keeping my weight up - I lose it very easily on this way of eating.

Cheers,

Mark
Type 1 since 1977. Use Lantus/NPH/Novorapid/Actrapid. On reduced-carb diet. :sheep:

rea

rea

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
I liked a low carb diet, its the only way I manage my weight as well.
High protein I think is fine if you watch that its LEAN protein. but, everyone is right, you need some carbs. keep them less processed, and its easier on your body. (wild brown rice, non-instant oatmeal, etc.whole grain breads or pasta).

eating out on low carb was easy I found, I asked that restaurants replace half the portain of pasta/rice/potatoes with vegetables. its not like you are adding an extra steak, so it usually doesn't cost extra.

I think that eliminating carbs altogether does damage because its too hard to maintain, and when you slip up it hits you big. too much a shock for your body. but then, eveyrones body is different.

sydneya

sydneya

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts

Cinnabon - Do you eat lots of protein when you are low carbing? Do you eat low fat foods or eat a little fat? I heard that high protein diets are really bad for diabetics because it can damage your kidneys, is this true? Sorry to be a pain, but could you give me some examples of what you eat? I'm anxious to start on a low carb diet again because I've put weight on recently and am starting to feel quite bad about myself. :(

Can I just say I am THRILLED to find this forum!! You lot are going to get sick of me with the amount of questions I have for you! :love:

I, too, heard from my Doctor, dietician, and a course I took in college that high protein is hard on the kidneys so I have stayed away from eating high protein. I do eat reasonable protein, low carb and find that works for me. I try to keep carbs 45 gms a meal; 15 carbs my two snacks. I've seen enough people on kidney dialysis to do as much as I can to protect them.

They haven't acted sick of me yet, so it's just not going to happen (them being sick of you) . I appreciate your questions because I learn from them.
Keep posting.
" Those who wait for roast duck to fly in mouth must wait a very long time. If you need something, don't wait. Go get it."

"This one makes a net. This one sits and wishes. Can you make a bet, which one catches fishes?"

lesley

lesley

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello Fiona,

I am another who follows a low carb diet - I do find that occasionally I will crave some carbohydrate and then I usually head for a snack of nuts, etc. I do have protein with nearly every meal, then salads, veggies (not the high glycaemic or high carb ones like potato), it is the only way I can keep my blood glucose levels near anything like they should be.

Your doctor should be doing tests every so often for your kidneys so that if you were having problems you would be aware of them.

I have to restrict the fat intake, or else I get into trouble with cholesterol readings,I do use a butter/olive oil mix, occcasionally have strawberries and pure cream (yum!). Again your three monthly readings will tell you what your cholesterol is doing. Oh, I have lots of eggs too and don't get into much trouble with the cholesterol readings.

I only have bread as a treat, never have cereals, occasionally have rice or pasta as a treat.

I felt really hungry the other day and I was measuring 2 so thought that I could l make a couple of scones and treat myself. Used stoneground wholemeal flour, made four scones, just had my butter mix on them,and my measurements went to 15, just like a rocket! So sad!

I certainly have to keep low carb.

HTH, Lesley

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
I've always believed that losing weight by low carbing implies going into ketosis,which is not recommended for a type 1 as it can lead to DKA (been there, done that). Eating low carb (but staying out of ketosis) to control your bg is used by many in this group, including myself, and is very effective. The key to losing weight, whether low or high carbing, is the calorie count. Personally, I find a low carb diet too restrictive nutrition wise and too high in fat, and then there's the kidney thing (I heard dialysis isn't much fun). Love to hear more success stories from those with great a1c values that are high-carbing. Not to change the subject...

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts

I've always believed that losing weight by low carbing implies going into ketosis,which is not recommended for a type 1 as it can lead to DKA (been there, done that). Eating low carb (but staying out of ketosis) to control your bg is used by many in this group ...

If you aren't in ketosis, you can't be eating low-carb. Your body is still relying on carbs as the primary source of energy. The whole point of low-carbing is to be in ketosis. All it means is that your body is burning fat. DKA is completely different. It occurs when when there is high blood sugar and not enough insulin to metabolise it.

Ketosis is actually a very healthy state to be in. Our pre-agricultural age predecessors were in it all the time. They satisfied most of their energy requirements from dietary fat. And they thrived on it, rising to the top of the food chain. It was only when they started cultivating high carb foods that the rot set in ....

Cheers,

Mark
Type 1 since 1977. Use Lantus/NPH/Novorapid/Actrapid. On reduced-carb diet. :sheep:

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
When I go into ketosis that's when controlling the bg becomes more difficult because I don't know how much insulin to take to offset the glucogen (glucose) my body is producing. I find that eating approx 30-45 grams of carbs per meal is enough to stay out of ketosis but gain the benefit of being able to easily control the insulin dosage and keep good control of the bg levels.

seacomp

seacomp

• 500 plus
  • 1,349 posts
Whether it's high protein hurts the kidneys, or fat will kill you, the last 30 years has seen ever increasing propaganda about NOT eating meat. My problem, and most people's problem with a high protein diet is that I can't afford it. The price of meat and fish as a stead mainstay are way above my means.
I don't think that the above two facts are unconnected.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
It is more expensive, no doubt about that. Good steak goes for about 10$/lb, good orange are much less than that (at least here in sunny Florida). There are cheaper alternatives for protein though. Chicken is pretty affordable, seafood is cheaper than red meat and probably better for you. If you happen to like fishing (like me) and live near lots of fish (like me) then you can catch your own. I like to wait for the monthly sales at the supermarket to stock up on lunchmeats and cheeses. I also shop in bulk at the local supercenter and store it in the deep freeze. If you get creative you can find ways to "afford" your low-carb diet. Besides, a low-carb diet is not all protein. Lot's of salads and veggies too, which are not expensive...

My main point was that while in ketosis, it's a catch up game where I end up chasing the bg numbers with the insulin. Since the liver is dumping glucogen raising my bg levels, and I don't know by how much insulin ahead of time to dose, thus I am always chasing higher numbers to bring them back down. Eating low carb and staying just out of ketosis seems to avoid this problem while making control easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users