• Please log in to reply
1949 replies to this topic

Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure

Banned

• Banned
  • 866 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

I see neogenesis as a good explanation for type 1s with some insulin producing cells found in their post-mortem pancreas biopsides. Kind of obvious, because if all our cells die after 7 years, either they must get replicated from existing cells, to maintain beta cells through normal healthy people's lifetimes, or be re-created from stem cells naturally and continuously.

Anything that stimulates neogenesis can be combined with replication therapies, because the latter synergizes with and builts on the benefits of the former.

Edited by Hoping4Cure, 02 December 2014 - 12:57 PM.

• feibelman likes this

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Wow. I'm going to study all of this in detail tonight. Is pantoprazole a Gastrin drug? Does it have to be Prevacid? What dosage of the proton pump inhibitor is required?

Also, where can you get some EPF? ;->

Edited by feibelman, 02 December 2014 - 03:14 PM.

Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure

Banned

• Banned
  • 866 posts

Yeah, we need to figure out if there are any replacements for Prevacid 24hr because according to the label on the back, you should only take the 14 day treatment (1 pill per day) once every four months, not continuously. I hope I don't actually give myself a new medical problem taking this, so if we can find a safer alternative to stimulate gastrin production that can be taken over a longer period and maybe at higher doses than Prevacid, then we could make some progress stimulating our beta cells to grow while simultaneously preventing their premature death.

I think verapamil is the missing key that suddenly makes it possible to suppress the effects of the immune response, malfunctioning pain neurons, or whatever else is continuously causing our beta cells to die.

Re-starting our pancreas seems like starting a boat's failing outboard, rusty engine: you gotta give it enough gas (gastrin!! haha), but also let the choke out and make sure the spark plugs ignite. And make sure no water is leaking in, preventing ignition. (verapamil protecting beta cell death from whatever cause)

Edited by Hoping4Cure, 02 December 2014 - 04:13 PM.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I think Prevacid is safe to take indefinitely. My proton inhibitor (pantoprazole) says the same thing and I've talked to several people including a doctor who has taken it daily for years.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I think Prevacid is safe to take indefinitely. My proton inhibitor (pantoprazole) says the same thing and I've talked to several people including a doctor who has taken it daily for years.

Is Gastrin and Prevacid the same thing?

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Is Gastrin and Prevacid the same thing?

from what I read Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor and thus blocks the production of stomach acid. Where does Gastrin come into play?

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I typed all my BG numbers into a spreadsheet from my meter tonight. I wanted to make sure I got several weeks prior to starting verapamil. I test an average to 8 times per day. The following are weekly averages (n = approx 56 tests per week):

5 weeks earlier 188 4 weeks earlier 201 3 weeks earlier 170 2 weeks earlier 178 1 week earlier 185 This week (verapamil) 154

could be placebo effect. ;-> time will tell

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

FYI - on the safety of taking a proton pump inhibitor longer than 14 days ... I have personally been on 

PANTOPRAZOLE SOD DR 40 MG TAB

40 MG

for 9 months now without any side effects other than my GERD is no longer a problem.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I'm still confused. It seems to me that Gastrin does the opposite of what proton pump inhibitors do (like Prevacid). The mouse study where Gastrin reduced BG levels shows they injected the mouse with Gastrin, but Gastrin according to wikipedia does the following:

The presence of gastrin stimulates parietal cells of the stomach tosecrete hydrochloric acid (HCl)/gastric acid. 

Can you clarify why you are using Prevacid? I appreciate your postings by the way!

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Ahhh ... I think I found the link between Prevacid and Gastrin

http://diatribe.org/.../35/trial-watch

Januvia and Prevacid raise the body’s level of two hormones (GLP-1 and gastrin, respectively) that are thought to work together to preserve old beta cells and help produce new ones. 

My question now is if pantoprazole has the same effect that Prevacid has? If not, then I need to switch GERD meds.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Ahhh ... I think I found the link between Prevacid and Gastrin

http://diatribe.org/.../35/trial-watch

Januvia and Prevacid raise the body’s level of two hormones (GLP-1 and gastrin, respectively) that are thought to work together to preserve old beta cells and help produce new ones. 

My question now is if pantoprazole has the same effect that Prevacid has? If not, then I need to switch GERD meds.

Well maybe this answers my question ... http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21304238

so it seems that PPI's at high dosages do increase Gastrin levels significantly.

Also, long-term PPI use may cause a slightly higher risk of bone fracture. See these study summaries: http://www.fda.gov/d...npumpinhibitors

Edited by feibelman, 02 December 2014 - 08:55 PM.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

And here's the Januvia study with Prevacid ... no results published yet, but they do show the study design ... two 30mg Prevacid tablets a day and Januvia (but I would go for Bydureon instead).

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT01155284

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I see neogenesis as a good explanation for type 1s with some insulin producing cells found in their post-mortem pancreas biopsides. Kind of obvious, because if all our cells die after 7 years, either they must get replicated from existing cells, to maintain beta cells through normal healthy people's lifetimes, or be re-created from stem cells naturally and continuously.

Anything that stimulates neogenesis can be combined with replication therapies, because the latter synergizes with and builts on the benefits of the former.

Durn straight ... it's all making more sense to me now.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I'm also going to order some more Gaba pills on top of Liraglutide (unfortunately Bydureon isn't available in Canada yet, so I need to stick to Victoza. doh).

I tried GABA before but stopped taking it when I didn't see any significant results during my BCG injection adventure in 2011. Then my pills expired so my girlfriend threw them out. You have wonderful dreams on Gaba, and they made my shoulder muscles grow too, so those are at least some fun side effects for a change. Bodybuilders often take it and it's available at many health food / weightlifting stores.

GABA exerts protective and regenerative effects on islet beta cells and reverses diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21709230

Let me know if you can score some Bydureon and what side effects you have. I'm gonna go on 0.6 -> 1.2 Victoza + Gaba + Ibuprofen + Verapamil (+ maybe IGF-1 eventually). I'm gonna try taking all this for an entire year.

Good luck getting all your prescriptions, just go to a clinic and skip telling your main doctor about them. I don't believe in being a passive patient, waiting like a putz for FDA to approve a drug again that's already been approved 30+ years ago (verapamil). 

OK - I'm going to add GABA too ... what can it hurt:

http://www.medicalne...cles/286121.php

I will still wait at least until I reach the verapamil 3 month mark before adding Bydureon.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Hoping4Cure - Is there a way for us to private message? I really believe we can continue to make actual progress towards a cure together, but it probably doesn't need to be on a public board.

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

Very interesting article from a doctor whose child got Type 1 diabetes and they cut out all wheat based products and he is cured. One more thing to try along with Verapamil? I agree with you that Verapamil may be the missing protective link in the quest for a cure. However, it has to be combined with some other therapy.

http://www.wheatbell...diabetes-cured/

Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure

Banned

• Banned
  • 866 posts

I already don't eat any wheat or wheat byproducts. That guy's a snake oil salesman and there is zero credible scientific evidence that this person actually was cured, or even really had type 1. Anectotal evidence on a guy's website who's trying to shill his book is total BS. If it worked, and so many type 1s are low-carb or no-carb, why aren't they screaming from the rooftops about being cured? They aren't shouting or making any noise, because they aren't cured. I'm so sick of these miracle cure diet gurus who are shucking and jiving people into false hope of an easy fix because "teh big bad food industry" is the cause of all ailments that befall human beings. Notwithstanding that people have been getting type 1 for thousands of years.

---------

Sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, raises endogenous glucagon-like peptide-1 levels (GLP-1), and the PPI, lansoprazole, raises endogenous gastrin. The combination of GLP-1 and gastrin produced by these 2 drugs protected existing beta cells in the mice, regenerated new beta cells from the pancreatic exocrine duct cells, and at the same time stopped the autoimmune reaction against the new beta cells.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/734370

Prevacid is the wrong search term to look for raising gastrin levels, you need to search for its medical name : lansoprazole

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140703142158.htm

However, merely raising GLP-1 and gastrin through those two drugs alone was not sufficient to show any difference. That's why taking verapamil at the same time as GLP-1 and Gastrin, over a longer period, I believe stands a better chance.

One of the studies there shows they are giving 30mg 2x per day of gastrin, which is 4x my current 1/day dose (15mg per pill). It costs like fifty bucks for a pack of 3 x 14 pills, so it could get expensive over time unless I score an RX for it. What's the medical reason I should give for needing to take it consistently? Instead of, say, for mere heartburn. It's Rx-only here in Canada, which is maybe a good thing because then my insurance should cover it.

Edited by Hoping4Cure, 03 December 2014 - 11:27 AM.

• Tribbles likes this

Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure

Banned

• Banned
  • 866 posts

Might be a good thing to try and get some Januvia / Sitagliptin to protect GLP-1 levels too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitagliptin

That was mentioned in the link above.

Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure

Banned

• Banned
  • 866 posts

Hoping4Cure - Is there a way for us to private message? I really believe we can continue to make actual progress towards a cure together, but it probably doesn't need to be on a public board.

I'd rather let people read it, because you never know when someone will chime in (even a real doctor) with some pertinent info, even anonymously.

Edited by Hoping4Cure, 03 December 2014 - 11:53 AM.

• feibelman likes this

feibelman

feibelman

• Seniors
  • 720 posts

I'd rather let people read it, because you never know when someone will chime in (even a real doctor) with some pertinent info, even anonymously.

Alright - works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users