Metformin - When to Take

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

seacomp

seacomp

• 500 plus
  • 1,349 posts
I joined this forum because I wanted to reply to a thread on Metformin (Glucophage). This a great drug to lower insulin resistance and liver derived glucose, if you can take it. I, personally can no longer take it, because of a drug interaction.
However, it must be taken correctly with meals. If it is taken on an empty stomach, only some of the drug is absorbed and you get only partial benefit.
This information is included in the circular that is distributed with Glucophage (the branded product), but (likely) not with the generic Metformin.
It is advised to take many drugs with food to reduce/eliminate potential upset stomach, etc. This is not the case with metformin: the efficency of the drugs demands it be taken with food.
Many pcp doctors do not know this so will not correctly advise you.
But it is the case. As one web site put it "the extent of metformin absorption (as measured by AUC) from the GLUCOPHAGE XR tablet increased by approximately 50% when given with food"

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Thanks for the information. I have always taken my Metformin right before I am ready to eat breakfast and dinner.

Karen

srgw

srgw

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I take 1 500mg. of Glucophage and 1mg of Amaryl after breakfast and 1 500mg. of Glucophage after dinner.
Last A1c was 5.8.:hello:
Why do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front?

nonnymouse

nonnymouse

• 500 plus
  • 241 posts
Thanks for the information. I did not know this, and apparently my dr.
didn't know of didn't think to tell me.

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
Found out about this through trial and error :eating:

For me, it is most effective when I take the tablets after I have had 2 bites of my meal. I take the tablets then... I continue with my meal. I have stopped taking the tablets before my meal as I would always end up eating much later. You know, kids, etc.

RobH

RobH

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the tip. I have been taking my Metformin anything from half an hour before a meal to about an hour afterwards! I shall now make sure it's always my 'first course' of a meal :biggrin:
T2, Dec 05, Metformin (2x500mg) - now just diet & exercise since July '06
A1c = 11.4% Jan '06
A1c = 5.7% Nov '06

Grant

Grant

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
I always take my Metformin with meals (either during, before or straight after eating). I am on three tablets a day; so I have one with breakfast, one with lunch, and one with dinner. My Metformin comes with a label the pharmacy puts on stating "Take with food".

Thanks for this info though, as many obviously did not know about it :(
Grant, 23, Type2, Diagnosed: Sep 05

Metformin 500mg X 3 daily

Saille

Saille

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
This is definately true. I thoroughly read the inserts with my metformin and the pharmacist and I looked at the inserts for glucophage and they refer, as in the quote above, to the XR which is the extended release. We couldn't find whether or not it applied to the regular as well.

So I started taking it in the mornings without food. After a few weeks I went back to taking it with food. It definately works better when taken with food. No bout adoubt it!
Saille/32/Type II/Amaryl 6mg & metformin 2x500mg/cinnamon & chromium picolinate/dx8-12-05/A1c8.7/ NEW A1c 01/17/06 of 5.1 WooHoo!!!!

RobH

RobH

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's a shame that the leaflet that comes with Metformin (certainly in the UK) doesn't mention anything about the relationship between taking the drug with food and absorption rates. If it did then patients would be better informed and would probably be more strict about exactly when they take it, I know I would have. All my doc ever said about it was that the reason for taking Metformin 'around mealtimes' was to help reduce any gastric distress, nothing about it affecting the effectiveness of the drug.

Oh well, at least I know now :biggrin:
T2, Dec 05, Metformin (2x500mg) - now just diet & exercise since July '06
A1c = 11.4% Jan '06
A1c = 5.7% Nov '06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users