• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

bsr2002

bsr2002

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
How does everyone take it and how much?

I'm taking cinnamon capsuls 1000mg in the morning and the Chromium 800mcg in the afternoon.

Does it matter if you eat before or after you take it?

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,171 posts
How much does that lower your bg's taking that much?

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• Seniors
  • 757 posts
I found that cinnamon had no effect on me whatsoever.

I take 200microgrammes of chromium picolinate before my evening meal.

I found, by taking the chromium for a month, then stopping for a month and then restarting, that there is indeed a real effect in me. That effect is to lower my sugar levels a little; but by far the biggest effect is to reduce the scatter of readings and help stabilise the actual level.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

Ritehsedad

Ritehsedad

• Members
  • 292 posts
The smartest way to take cinnamon & chromium piclinate is to add them one at a time. That way you'll know the effect of each and if one doesn't work for you (like cinnamon for Peter), you can cut it out.
Biking is fun; burn fat, not oil :bike:

lelggren

lelggren

• Seniors
  • 812 posts
I don't take either one. Does this make you feel good, in addition to lowering your bg's? I have not ever gotten into the whole taking extra vitamins and other supplements. But, I've heard cinnamon mentioned several times on this site. If anyone has any articles or things that I could read about these, please let me know in a private message. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Laura Anne :star:

"Happy Day! All is well!

Pumping with Paradigm 712 since November 17th, 2004

Type 1 since April, 1995

bsr2002

bsr2002

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

How much does that lower your bg's taking that much?

I have just started a couple of days ago, but will keep everyone informed on my progress :)

Valarie34

Valarie34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I read on another site that when you add the 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to foods, you're supposed to do it for 25 days, then stop for a week, then start again....or else it stops working. Has anyone heard this? I've read a lot about cinnamon over the past several months, and this is the first time I heard this.

Saille

Saille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I got my suppliment from Puritan's Pride online. It's 1000mg of cinnamon and 200mg of CP combined in one capsule. I take one in the morning and one in the evening along with my fish oil Omega-3 suppliment, metformin and generic of amaryl.

The chromium picolinate is more of an appetite suppressant from what I've experienced. And while initial studies were hesitant about it the more recent studies I've read (and shared with my doc) indicate that there is no harm in taking it. I don't know if, or how much, it helps with BG#'s.

The cinnamon definately helps me. I'd say it brings my #'s down about 10pts overall and had a noticeable effect on my morning #'s.

In another site someone posted that she called the manufacturer of the cinnamon capsules she had purchased and they recommended that after a month of use a week of not using it should be done in order to keep it at full effectiveness. I took a week off it at one point and my BG#'s went up aprox. 10pts overall for that week. I haven't gone off it since and I haven't noticed any lessening of effectiveness in it.

Some people have noted that they didn't experience any differences when using cinnamon. Cinnamon is an irritant so people with stomach problems should be monitorring themselves closely when starting it. My doc is well aware that I'm on it and said that she didn't see how it could hurt anything. But like anything your doctor should be consulted when you start taking anything new.
Saille/32/Type II/Amaryl 6mg & metformin 2x500mg/cinnamon & chromium picolinate/dx8-12-05/A1c8.7/ NEW A1c 01/17/06 of 5.1 WooHoo!!!!

bsr2002

bsr2002

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
The cinnamon I'm taking is Rexall brand from Wal-Mart at 500mg per capsule.

DONS

DONS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
A good site for supplement info is

http://www.alleghany...macist-Consumer

DonS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users