- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

georgepds

georgepds

• Seniors
  • 1,253 posts

http://medicalxpress...rly-deaths.html

For the geezers among us struggling with high cholesterol.. 

"older people with high levels of a certain type of cholesterol, known as low-density lipoprotein (LDL-C), live as long, and often longer, than their peers with low levels of this same cholesterol."

The kids still have to watch it...

"For example, why is total cholesterol a factor for cardiovascular disease for young and middle-age people, but not for the elderly? Why do a substantial number of elderly people with high LDL-C live longer than elderly people with low LDL-C?"

• macksvicky and OldTech like this

dowling gram

dowling gram

• Seniors
  • 2,541 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

In my opinion Cholesterol has nothing to do with heart problems. If you look at how this came to be fact in the medical profession you will see that it was confused reasoning. Even the guy who's research they used--Ancel Keys --said they had it wrong but they ignored him.

Cholesterol is needed by every cell in your body including the brain. Actually there is no way to measure LDL. Only HDL and total cholesterol can be measured and there are other variables besides LDL. Your lab report only gives a guesstimate of your LDL.

I have had high cholesterol my whole life. I am now 76 and have never taken a Statin or anything to lower my cholesterol and have never had any kind of heart problems. Now that my diabetes is under control and I've lost weight I'm in better health and have more energy than I had 20 years ago. Frankly if I were to give anyone advice--which I'm not- I'd say concentrate on Diabetes and ignore Cholesterol

• NoraWI, macksvicky, OldTech and 2 others like this

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echos can be truly endless--Mother Thersa

OldTech

OldTech

• Seniors
  • 566 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle WA USA
  • I am a:Type 2

Forget LDL-C. CVD starts very early in life for those of us that eat a relatively high carb agriculture-based diet. We know that even children have the beginnings of the disease by the age of 10 and that the best predictor of death is just age - although oxidized and glycated LDL do have an association. 

To reduce your chances of an early death due to CVD you need normal glucose and insulin levels, and the best natural treatment is a low carb diet. That goes double for those of us who have type 2 diabetes. 

Edited by OldTech, 27 June 2016 - 03:51 PM.

• Weezy and meyery2k like this

--Chet

Type 2. Diagnosed 12/2013. Last A1c 4.5. Average postprandial 86. Very little variability. Very low carb and metformin (2x500mg). Two meals a day with no snacks. Last updated 2/18/2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users