RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA
  • I am a:Type 2

Hello, my name is Randy.  I am 33 and live in Indiana.  I was just recently diagnosed with type 2, but my history is a bit more complex than that.  I had an industrial accident 16 years ago and had trouble sleeping soon after due to PTSD.  I was prescribed Seroquel as a sleep aid which caused me to become hypoglycemic.  I used to have fainting spells in mid sentance which scared the heck out of my friends, but soon after was able to tell when my sugar got low.  I have thought for sometime that I had my sugar under control but about a month ago, over a period of 3 days, I lost the ability to focus on anything more than 10 feet away from me.  I had labs done, and sure enough, it turned out I was diabetic.  My endocrinologist assumes I have been for quite some time given my history.  I still need to go in for my first A1C test later this week, but my glucose levels have normally been 320-390.  Over the past couple days, I've been able to get it down to 188 with cutting out almost all sugar and all carbs.  To tell the truth though, I'm a bit scared.  My vision came back to me before I saw my doctor(when my sugar was 300+) but now that I have it below 200, my vision is becoming blurry again.  I'm really hoping its just my body getting used to the lower level of sugar.  Anyways, I'm glad there is a community to help us like this.  I've already read and learned quite a bit and look forward to learning more.

• janice21475 and sillygirl like this

adiantum

adiantum

• Seniors
  • 9,753 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Hi Randy, Welcome to the forum.

Your blood glucose has certainly been high &  you may experience false lows for a while. Try to ride them out with a drink of water & rest.

Eat a few nuts if its time to eat.

Try to get your regular glucose level  125 or below.

I feel confident your vision will return to normal if you control that blood glucose.

You've not mentioned any meds & that's OK as many here  don't take any but we keep active & eat low to medium carbs.

Try to reduce your carb intake to less then 100g at first & you can reduce that later

I'm pleased you joined us here as theres lots of support & guidance.

Foods to avoid are bread, rice, pasta, fruit & juices.  Don't be afraid to eat fats  as this will keep the hunger pangs away.

• NoraWI, Orlando, Jeapa and 2 others like this

RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Thank you for the welcome!  I am on 500mg Metformin and started a 81mg asprin regimen.  So far, I've been cutting myself down to under 20g carbs a day and under 5g sugar a day.  To tell the truth, I ate a couple soft pretzels and my glucose level went from under 300 to almost 400 when i tested a couple hours after eating.  That kinda scared me away from carbs.  I've also avoided any and all fruits.  I did enjoy a nice ribeye steak for dinner though ;)

• janice21475, Jeapa, sillygirl and 1 other like this

miketurco

miketurco

I hate shots

• Seniors
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationSouthern Califonia

With sugar levels that high you may be "type 1.5." In other words, your pancreas may not be producing much insulin at all and it's on its way out. There are a number of tests you can take to make that determination. C-Peptide and GAD Antibody are the two big ones. If your doctor won't order them for you under your insurance, consider getting them done yourself. You can order tests online at privatemdlabs.com and many other sites. (Price out the tests.)

Personal opinion. I'm not a doctor. High blood sugar levels can be very dangerous, both long and short term.

Sorry to hear that you're here, but... welcome aboard anyway.

• NoraWI, janice21475, sillygirl and 1 other like this
A1c: Nov 13, 12.7 (dx); Apr 14, 7.6; Feb 15, 6.1; May 15, 6.0; Sep 15, 6.2 and May 16, 5.8.
Drugs: Met ER, N, recently off R, Lisinopril, Atenolol + a few sups. Diet: low-cal/keto

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 4,991 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

I wouldn''t assume on a type at this point.  It was estimated I was hitting into the 300s when I was diagnosed based on my A1C.  It was a few weeks before I got a meter, so I wasn't able to confirm one way or the other.  That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the necessary tests done to confirm one way or another as the treatment methods are different.

Anyway, welcome to the group Randy.  There's a ton of good information here and a lot of friendly people who are happy to help in any way they can.

As for the tests I mentioned, specifically they are antibody tests to see if you are T1.  Basically the body starts an autoimmune attack on the insulin producing cells of the pancreas.

This is actually an important bit of information.

A T1 diabetic is one whose ability to produce insulin has been destroyed by an autoimmune attack.

A T2 diabetic is everyone else, which IMO is unfair as someone who is insulin resistant is different from someone who, lets say, has lost the ability to produce insulin due to an injury or similar.  but these are important distinctions as the treatment method has differences.

I would also request a C-peptide test.  This is testing how much insulin your body makes.  The average insulin resistant T2 will be on the high side, though it alone isn't enough to say one way or another.

Your vision should stabilize one your blood sugar also stabilizes.  It seems to be a common side effect as we gain control and get our numbers back down.

You already sound like you have a grip on diet changes, and those can help no matter what type you may be.  Good luck on your journey.  Feel free to stick around.  Everyone here is helpful and while the circumstances on why you are here aren't good, we're happy to have you as part of the family.  :)

• NoraWI, miketurco, Jeapa and 2 others like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Randy - Welcome.  You will get sound advice here.  My personal experience was that my vision went to he** as I was getting my glucose under control.  It is scary but, it will very likely resolve itself within a few weeks if you keep up the great work.

A pair of cheap readers will help if you are having difficulty reading or seeing things up close.

Apparently, the shape of the eyeball changes as the glucose comes out of the eyeball.  Things will adjust.

My vision is better than it has been in years.  I still need the readers for reading but that is because I am 50 y/o and not because of diabetes.

I don't want to pop a hole in your balloon but you would also want to keep an eye on protein intake since excess protein is also converted to glucose albeit at a slower rate.

Non root vegetable and fats such as butter, cream, lard, olive oil, and coconut oil have proven to be our best friends.  They help keep you full and provide the energy you need.  It will take a little time but your body will adapt to using fat as a primary energy source.

Once you get your glucose under control, make sure to schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist to check your eyes for any complications.  Many of these are very treatable if caught early.

I do hope you will join our community. ~ Mike

• NoraWI, Jeapa, sillygirl and 1 other like this

RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA
Thanks all for the advice and welcome! Right now, I have been limiting my diet to strictly salads and fish for meat. My vision is a little more blurry today but I feel better with the advise I've been given. I love olive oil and vinegar and as I've heard both are good for me, I may try using some on my salad to add some fat to my diet. I go in for my first A1C in two days, so I'll make sure I keep everybody posted. Thanks again for the advise and greetings everyone!
  • janice21475, miketurco, sillygirl and 2 others like this

Dave_KC

Dave_KC

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Hi Randy, and welcome aboard.  I was recently diagnosed, and am on meds, Metformin and Januvia, along with diet and I'm seeing my numbers down dramatically.  It's been weeks since I've seen a number above 130, and many, many times it's in the 100's and even in the 90's.  

For me, keeping active, watching the carbs like a hawk, stay on meds as needed and I've seen a lot of improvement.  At the end of this week, I'm supposed to do my labs again, and I'm very curious what my A1c is going to be, I'm hoping for down, and a lot!  Last glucose lab draw was 101.  It was 105 on the home meter this morning.  

So, lots of good folks here from my first couple of months, and very good information, and helpful advise.  

Metformin 2x 750mg, Januvia 1x 100mg, Lisinopril 1x 10mg. 

A1c dx 11/22/2016 12.6, 01/13/2017 7.4

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 4,991 posts

Thanks all for the advice and welcome! Right now, I have been limiting my diet to strictly salads and fish for meat. My vision is a little more blurry today but I feel better with the advise I've been given. I love olive oil and vinegar and as I've heard both are good for me, I may try using some on my salad to add some fat to my diet. I go in for my first A1C in two days, so I'll make sure I keep everybody posted. Thanks again for the advise and greetings everyone!

I adore making my own salad dressings, primarily vinaigrettes.  The exact oils, vinegars, and other items will vary based on what flavor profile I'm wanting.

I made a horseradish one that tasted amazing.  Apple cider vinegar, walnut oil, olive oil, dijon mustard, horseradish, a pinch of salt, and some cracked black pepper.  I never measure for this stuff so I can't say what amounts of each used.  It ended up really thick and creamy and I used it as a dip for raw veggies as well as a dressing for salad.  Actually I also used it as a steak sauce as well.

They are so easy and quick to make that I highly recommend people make them for themselves instead of buying the store bottled stuff that you have no control over.

Edited by Kit, 10 January 2017 - 06:32 PM.

• meyery2k likes this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,799 posts
500 mg of Metformin is the minimum dose. You might want talk to your doctor about increasing it. I take 2000 mg and 100 mg of Januvia We all have different diets. I find a vegetarian diet works best for me. I do eat healthy carbs.
  • meyery2k likes this
metformin ER 4x500
Moderate carb diet 75-100 carbs

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

Dave_KC

Dave_KC

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationKansas City

500 mg of Metformin is the minimum dose. You might want talk to your doctor about increasing it. I take 2000 mg and 100 mg of Januvia We all have different diets. I find a vegetarian diet works best for me. I do eat healthy carbs.

I'm at 1500 of Metformin and 100 mb of Januvia...  now to actually afford the later...  

RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Hey everyone.  Just had my first A1C labs done, along with 15 other tests.  Gotta wait a day or two to hear the results.  The good news is over the past couple days, I haven't had any blood glucose levels over 180, usually averaging around 120-140 and going down daily.  It has definitely been nice not seeing it spike up to 400 again.  My vision is still a blurry mess, but I picked up a pair of reading glasses and I can actually see again!  Been having some cravings, but still sticking to my diet.  I have even been adding some variety.  Got some olive oil and plan on doing a bit of stir fry, as well as making my own dressing for salad.  Everyone's advice has been super helpful, especially about the reading glasses.  Being able to see/read again feels so good.  Thank you all.  I'm so happy this community exists.  It has definitely lifted my spirit.

• miketurco and Jeapa like this

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 4,991 posts

Hi Randy,

So glad to hear the news of your progress.  Even doing everything right, it takes a little time to work your way down, so you are definitely doing good.  :)

• Jeapa likes this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Randy - Excellent news!  It would appear you are on the right path.  Much of this is mental and, if you can get you head around the mental aspects, the rest will follow.

As far as diet, you will soon be at a point where you don't miss the old stuff.  I find I eat much more interesting foods now.

I am eagerly waiting for the post when you report you tested below 100.  I have a feeling this is going to happen here. :)

• Jeapa likes this

mystiquarte

mystiquarte

Opening Pandora's Box

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Hi Randy welcome to the forums we have quiet a bit in common...
16 years ago I went through a traumatic event and had both PTSD and a major depressive episode aka breakdown, it took me 5.5yrs to work my way out of it.  It has being the most challenging, hardest thing I've ever had to do you really earn your stripes after going through something like that.  I hope that your in a better place and travelling well now, also.

Since June last year I've had high blood glucose readings higher than yours even, even just yesterday I had a reading of 15.1 (271.8) and average between 11.3 (203.4) - 8.5 (153) ... yesterday I had appt with my Endo and he changed my insulin to what you see now in my signature and even though it's been just over 24 hrs there has been improvement.  My eyes aren't as blurry, I don't have headaches, I am not going to the loo constantly and I'm not as sleepy although as my blood glucose is coming down I am sleepy but it is because of the adjustments going from such high readings to a lower level.

Randy the difference the NR is making is phenomenal I am feeling so much better now the blood glucose levels are coming down.  I really want to highlight the importance of a wonderful medical team to look after you, listen to your needs and find the right solution for you - as everyone is different even though we all have the same disease.   Diabetes is 90% self management and 10% medical/insulin and I truly believe that it takes a team effort to get things under control...learn as much as you can about the endocrine system it helps to know how it works and what happens when you eat, learn as much as you can about making the right choices in fruits, vegies and other things as nutrition is really important as your body is already coping with a broken pancreas you don't want to add fuel to the fire and make it fight harder than it should to get the right nutrients.

Be kind to yourself, this is a tough thing to go through, that we all go through and it's everyday...so be kind to you understand there will be bumps along the way it's what you do 95% of the time we will get there eventually.  When you do see results, you feel so elated it's a brilliant feeling.  Good luck :)

• meyery2k likes this

Lantus am & pm - split dose
NovoRapid 

Ferro Grad C - iron supplement
Lexapro 10mcg

anaphylactic, lactose intolerant, diabetic no longer a herbivore 
::don't sugar coat it, I'm diabetic::

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Mystiq - Wonderful news and a brilliant post! ~ Mike

• Jeapa and mystiquarte like this

RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Was reading 112 after lunch and 2 hours after dinner, I'm at 93 :D I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of myself.  Finally broke the 100 mark!  Now I just gotta keep it up ;)

• adiantum, miketurco, Kit and 3 others like this

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Randy - I think the fasting of under 100 is nearing!

Dave_KC

Dave_KC

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Was reading 112 after lunch and 2 hours after dinner, I'm at 93 :D I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of myself.  Finally broke the 100 mark!  Now I just gotta keep it up ;)

That's fantastic Randy!  

RandyM

RandyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

I'm happy to say, I've been averaging 92 for quite some time now :) My vision has came back, however, my peripheral vision is still a bit hazy, but I have faith I just need a little time to "relearn" to see.  Kinda feels a bit like tunnel vision, but better than nothing.  I've already been enjoying the LCHF diet and don't even crave things like soda anymore.  I still feel a little tired, but energy is starting to come back to me.  One thing I have noticed, as some other have too, I'm sure, is that if I drink coffee in the morning, I have to wait a little while before I eat unless I want to spike.  Not a big deal as I'm not giving up my morning caffeine, lol.  As long as I wait a little while, It doesn't effect me much, but if I eat right after caffeine, I jump up to around 160-180.  Still much better than almost 400, lol.

• miketurco, Kit and meyery2k like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users