- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Jeapa

Jeapa

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

I like hot tea plain, but for ice tea, which I drink in the warmer weather, I like to add a sweetener. We all have different tastes. So I, for one, am glad we haev the choice to use a sweetener if we like it.

See I am exactly opposite, I like a little splenda in hot tea, but prefer me iced tea unsweetned with a little lemon...lol.. I am also happy we all have choices.  :D

• Fraser likes this

Dx- Juy 2014

A1C

7/14 - 8.6

11/14 - 7.3

5/15- 6.4

10/15- 7

11/16 11.2

Metformin- 500 x 4

Victoza- 1.2mg

Armour- 1.5gr

Fish oil- 2 x2

mutivit- 1 daily

Seagal

Seagal

• Seniors
  • 7,404 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I've mentioned it before, I have about 50 bottles of DaVinci and Torani flavored s.f. syrups.  They add a lot of interest to many things I bake or cook.  The Irish Cream, hazlenut, chocolate or one of the other yummy flavors, is a delight in a hot cup of coffee with cream on a rainy day (like the last 5 days here in Nor Cal).  I've not noticed any ill effects from artificial sweetners in the last 13 years of type 2.

• Jeapa likes this

dx 2003

type 2

vlc

livin' life!

DeusXM

DeusXM

Here since 2003

• Editors
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationUK
  • I am a:Type 1

Sounds to me like you're drinking the wrong sort of tea.  ;)

(I'm an avid tea drinker but have never liked anything in it.)

In the UK, there is a popular assumption that putting sugar in your tea means you're a bit dim and in a lower socio-economic group, with the more sugar you have, the thicker/poorer you are.

Worst of all, the assumption is surprisingly accurate!

http://www.dailymail...-tea-round.html

Worth noting (for the Americans) that this refers to 'proper' tea involving boiling water, not that weird cold stuff you animals insist on drinking  ;)

• Caravaggio, TX_Clint and meyery2k like this

TX_Clint

TX_Clint

Make my day!

• Moderators
  • 3,237 posts
  • LocationDallas

Interesting article Deus. What's that AB, DE etc. crap all about? I also note that most brits don't drink instant coffee. I bet most Americans don't drink instant coffee much either. If all I had available was instant coffee I'd pass on it too. The consumption of sugary drinks including hot tea may be greater with lower income groups that are struggling to get by and not limited to the U.K.. The poor are usually only concerned about getting through today and this week. Not caring about a year or 10 years out. So they enjoy a little sweetness in their drink when they can.

DX - 08/1997 - A1c 10.4
Metformin 500x4
Jardiance 25
Levothroxine 137
Welchol 3.75
2012 A1c 10.4/6.2/5.7
2013 A1c 5.9/5.5/5.3/5.4
2014 A1c 5.5/5.4/5.8/6.1
2015 A1c 6.1,6.2,5.9
2016 A1c 5.9,5.8,5.8

DeusXM

DeusXM

Here since 2003

• Editors
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationUK
  • I am a:Type 1

The lettering is from a social grading system commonly used in the media in the UK for advertising and demographic classification purposes (based on job category)- the class system is unofficially alive and well in Britain. It's not quite 'Downton Abbey' but it's one of those behind-the-scenes things that generally no-one from outside the UK ever truly understands, yet everyone in Britain instinctively gets it.

A - upper middle (CEOs, solicitors, doctors etc.)

B - middle (senior managers)

C1 - lower middle (junior managers, office workers)

C2 - skilled working (plumbers, electricians)

D - non-skilled working (labourers, retail workers)

E - non-working (benefits claimants)

Broadly speaking, A-C1 are 'middle class' and C2-E are 'working class'.

Interestingly, outside of London I'd actually say the majority of Britons drink instant coffee, we don't really share the cafe culture found in Europe or the US. 

• TX_Clint likes this

janice21475

janice21475

Crowing

• Seniors
  • 6,220 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other

I don't know if there's a connection or not, but I lost my gall bladder right after switching to stevia. So I switched back to Splenda.

Sorry Joisey but I can't help myself. Concerning "lost my gall bladder right after switching to stevia. So I switched back to Splenda." My question is did that enable you to 'find' your gall bladder??

I mean no disrespect but after reading too many serious posts I felt the need to 'play' a little.

I prefer Splenda. I do not have diabetes but why tempt a pancreas to fail?

Janice

• Seagal and meyery2k like this

Husband was T2, 25 units Lantus daily

Kit

Kit

Yay! We're doomed!

• Seniors
  • 4,531 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

In the UK, there is a popular assumption that putting sugar in your tea means you're a bit dim and in a lower socio-economic group, with the more sugar you have, the thicker/poorer you are.

Worst of all, the assumption is surprisingly accurate!

http://www.dailymail...-tea-round.html

Worth noting (for the Americans) that this refers to 'proper' tea involving boiling water, not that weird cold stuff you animals insist on drinking  ;)

I remember reading something many many years ago that your taste preference (at least for coffee and tea additives) is heavily influenced by the age you started drinking them.  Both plain are usually not all that palatable in children, which is where the preference for cream and sugar usually originates.

I didn't really start drinking either until the military and collage, and always liked them plain with nothing added.  I don't know how accurate the article was, but I know it matched up with me and some of my friends who do like additives and started drinking as children.

Now that said, my father started drinking coffee as a child and always had it black.

I also have a theory that cream and sugar can be masking agents for bad coffee and tea.  :)

• janice21475 and Fraser like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,251 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

I remember wanting to drink coffee because my Dad and my Grandmother had it every morning.  At first, I needed milk and sugar to even handle it.

My grandmother would shame me lol.  In her book, there was only black coffee.  There was no point to it otherwise.  Eventually, I developed the taste for black coffee and I do realize that GOOD coffee does not need cream or sugar.  Coffee can be an incredibly complex beverage much like wine.

That being said, I still occasionally make the frou-frou coffee with cream, sweetener, and flavoring to indulge the 10 year old that is still within me.

• janice21475 likes this

OneEye

OneEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I didn't really start drinking either until the military and collage, and always liked them plain with nothing added.

If you're going to spell college that way...I'm wondering which SAT you took to get in.  :) 

• janice21475 likes this

Kit

Kit

Yay! We're doomed!

• Seniors
  • 4,531 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

:P

ACT (32).  Hardly anywhere requested SATs at the time.

• janice21475 and OneEye like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

Weezy

Weezy

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

I've been too busy to do any posting lately, but the coffee/artificial sweetener discussion has coincided with a little time this morning, soooooo.......

I grew up drinking BLACK (really strong) tea because my Scottish grandmother drank it way.  She learned it that way saying that they were too poor to have milk or sugar to put in it (she grew up in the slums of Glasgow).  I still prefer my tea without any milk, cream, or sweeteners....either hot or iced.

But coffee is different....I never drank coffee as a kid, even though my parents and extended family had the percolator going for every meal and drank it black.  I started drinking coffee in the 70s when an attorney I was working LONG hours with introduced me to this new little store called Starbucks.  He brought in a Melita drip pot, ground the beans, etc. and greeted me every morning with a big mug of it.  That was my first taste of non-Folgers type of coffee and I was hooked, but I did need cream and sugar to be able to handle it (it was a French roast).  So from the beginning I used cream and sugar in my coffee and soon became addicted, especially when that attorney gifted me with a beautiful Melita drip pot and a bag of beans.  I started walking to that little Starbucks store in Pike Place once a week because at that time, grocery store coffee was pretty much just stuff like Folgers and there weren't any other roasters around.

Later I switched to Sweetn'Low instead of sugar.  When I went HFLC several years ago, I eliminated even the artificial sweetener and learned to enjoy my coffee with just heavy cream--and that still feels like a real luxury to me.  Fortunately, there are now French roasts that I like better than Starbucks and I haven't been to that particular store in decades now...but I still absolutely love dark coffee roasts with heavy cream.

• adiantum, Fraser, Jeapa and 1 other like this

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,326 posts

I don't use non-sugar or non-honey sweeteners (I think artificial sweetener is an inaccurate term) often. But last year I started using them (stevia and erythritol) and have noticed that my appetite has increased everytime I eat something which uses those sweeteners. In addition, I found it more difficult to say no to regular (ie, using sugar) desserts or sweet things. Now I appreciate my late GP's strict instructions to rid myself of a sweet tooth instead of switching to non-sugar alternatives.

• adiantum, TX_Clint, Fraser and 2 others like this

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Pre-Diabetic

The biggest battle for me has been, and still is, portion control.  I have to strictly measure out things like meat and cheese.  If left to my own devices, I always overdo those things.

I agree.  Portion control is tough, especially when you really like the taste of something.  I just started yesterday on cooking smaller portions of food by measuring first, and I was amazed at the healthy size proportions that really filled me up.  I'm recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic so I'm concerned about losing about 50 #'s.

CB

Edited by cbokay, 18 January 2017 - 07:39 AM.

• meyery2k likes this

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."  George Eliot

17 Jan 2017. Dx Pre-diabetes.  A1C 5.9, weight 180#s, 5'3", 74 years of age

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,251 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

I agree.  Portion control is tough, especially when you really like the taste of something.  I just started yesterday on cooking smaller portions of food by measuring first, and I was amazed at the healthy size proportions that really filled me up.  I'm recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic so I'm concerned about losing about 50 #'s.

CB

CB - I saw your introductory post.  Welcome!  Good to see you are jumping in :)

It never ceases to amaze me how little a portion of food will actually satisfy me.  The "old" me would have scoffed at what I eat (and how much now).  Back in the day I could easily eat an "Ultimate" Cheeseburger, onion rings, (2) tacos, (7) jalapeno poppers, and a large coke.  Of course with ranch dressing and all the assorted other sauces.  I would even sometimes have a shake to wash all that down with!  2000+ calories and 200+g carbs easily (just in that one meal).

Honestly, I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes miss those days.  It's ok though.  I was able to enjoy some truly horrific gastronomical adventures.  I now have new challenges and adventure before me to look forward to.

• adiantum, Seagal and TX_Clint like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users