It's Been A While but Still Going

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bardley

bardley

• Members
  • 176 posts

...it has been some 7 years since I last blogged on this website and it's time to check back in about how I'm dealing with the bear that lives in my cave--Type 2 Diabetes. So far so good and my routine blood sugar checks have me in the normal range. Just today, after running 6k in the heat and humidity of tropical Africa, I was at 86 about an hour after I finished. I also still run 10kms and half marathon races, along with training everyday and lifting weights. Nothing much has really changed for me other than I probably feel the best that I ever have--even before the diagnosis. As I mentioned one time before, many years ago, what worked for me was Diet, Exercise & Weight (DEW). I realize that this won't work for everyone but do give it a try--if your doc says it's okay. When I was diagnosed in January 2010 I made major changes to my life and within 3 months was off the one pill they had me on. 

And I have to thank the folks who put together this website and keep it going. All of you were my Rock of Gibraltar during a tough transition. Thanks everybody and I'll try not to wait 6.5 yrs before posting something again. 

All the best from Africa.  B)

• adiantum, GrammaBear, Kit and 3 others like this

kooka

kooka

My name is Barb :)

• Seniors
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • I am a:Type 2
Congratulations on such an excellent job!
A1C 8/02/15 6.8 (up .2 from May)
Dec. 1/2015 /6.0 Whoot!
April 27/2015 / 6.2 blah!
jan. 10/2017/ 7.3 Yikes!
DX 2004/ BG 140
Lacto Ovo Vegetarian/ 1/2017
Metformin 1000x2 daily/ now 2x500 yeah!
Synthroid .50 daily
diabetic neuropathy knees down since 2014
Gerd/ Previcid TR 30mgs
IBS/ Bentyl if needed
D3 2000, B12
12 year cancer survivor/Larynx/stage1 N0/M0/ direct beam radiation x37

“If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you've always got.”

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI
  • I am a:Type 2

Bardley - Thank you for the encouraging post.  I was diagnosed one year ago.  It was the catalyst to turn things around and pull myself together again.  It is a beacon of hope to see someone that has been down this path for so long is still successful.

I am at the point where I have reached my weight, exercise, A1C, and diet goals.  While that has been hard work, I believe the harder task is going to be to keep up with these habits and not allow too much complacency because of my improvement to date.

• bardley and m2hwb41 like this

GrammaBear

GrammaBear

• Seniors
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • I am a:Type 1

I remember you Bardley and it is nice to hear from you again.  I'm glad that you are doing well and hope you continue to check in here now and again.

• bardley likes this

Type 1 - 4-21-2003

Dexcom CGM - September 2007

Tandem Tslim - Novolog - 10-22-2015

A1C - 6.5%   3-6-2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users