• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Pre-Diabetic

If carbohydrates are so dang bad for our bodies, why does God allow photosynthesis to grow the global roots of death that may promote a complete-nuisance-of-a-disease called, DIABETES?!@*  Oh, I know why ... it's because Man (neuter gender) has been destroying the ecosystems around the world with greed and scientific exploration since discovery of the wheel.  It's a circular event: Agriculture leads to Doctor; Doctor leads to Pharmacy; Pharmacy leads to Agriculture; and, so on.  What a money racket at the cost of the health and wellness of people worldwide.

Late yesterday afternoon I had another bad day with a different doctor's office.  I'm seriously considering DROPPING all medical care period and getting back to studying my many books on "all things holistic".  I'm way! too over-challenged and have no place to run.  Ain't it grand to be alive?!  Maybe we should all try to live on air for a week. Or water.

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood, and Mr. Rodgers likes me just the way I am.  What a hype!

Waves to Everyone, from one emotionally mixed up, trying to "grin and bear it",  Celtic/Canuck. 

CB

Edited by cbokay, 17 February 2017 - 07:43 AM.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."  George Eliot
 "When there is nothing to lose by trying, by all means: try."  W. Clement Stone

10 Jan 2017. Dx Pre-Diabetes.  HB-A1c 6.3, mg/dl 147, mmol/l 8.2
18 Feb 2017. Began Keto diet
03 Apr 2017. HB-A1c 5.4, mg/dl 114.9, mmol/l 6.4

13 Apr 2017. Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg x 2 daily

13 Apr 2017. Vitamin D3 2000 iu x 1 daily

I've been walking to lose weight and ran across this quote that gave me a good chuckle.

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60.

She's 97 today and we don't know where the heck she is."  Ellen DeGeneres

http://www.rajeun.ne...1c_glucose.html

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Ummm... errrr... I am speechless! However, consider this: If you HAVE to have something, then diabetes T2 in its very earliest stage is the most benign.
  • GrammaBear, kooka, Seagal and 2 others like this
NoraWI
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010. Levothyroxine for thyroid. Nothing else.

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,817 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I think when you have diabetes you just accept it and adapt your diet to get the best numbers. I was the only one in all of my 6 siblings who has diabetes. I just have to accept it and move on. I am not crazy about all the doctors I have but I need them to stay alive.
  • NoraWI, GrammaBear, kooka and 4 others like this
metformin ER 4x500
Moderate carb diet 75-100 carbs

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

Orlando

Orlando

• Seniors
  • 1,875 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Compared to many others here you are very fortunate. You are pre diabetic and have a golden opportunity to slow down or even prevent further progress of the disease. Read as much as you can and make the effort needed to get a grip on things.Some women here are fighting cancer AND diabetes. That should give you some sense of proportion.

A great source of information is Blood sugar 101, google it and you will find loads of great information. I know that I did, although it took my some time to get used to a lot of new terminology. Plenty of great information here on this forum ,readily available from so many members who have a wealth of collective information. I wish you the very best with your efforts.

• NoraWI, kooka, Moonpie and 2 others like this

Aspirin 100 mg

5 mg Cardiloc [Beta blocker ]

2.5 Tritace

300 mg Pradaxa

Magnesium Citrate 800 mg

Multivitamin x 1

CoQ10 200mg.

vit D 2000 iu

Vitamin K2 M-7

40 mg Lipitor

Due to recent errors, I now make a special effort  to Czech the speling

control

control

• Seniors
  • 559 posts

Since plants existed hundreds of millions of years before humans, and we didn't really start having a major effect on the ecosystem until the industrial revolution, it's not reasonable to blame people for botanical nature. 

It's good that you are thinking about getting back to basics and studying up on what you can do.  I'd strongly suggest that instead of holistic medicine (which has largely been proven to be hokum), you get management advice from credible experts.  Largely, that group is going consist of people who have a proven track record of managing their diabetes with good results.   It's good to understand the underlying cause and effect of diabetes (which you'd get from medical journals and the like), but there's nothing like finding out what does and doesn't work from folks who've been in the trenches, so to speak.

Keep in mind, that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.  You kind of have to experiment to find what works for you.  Often, that takes time.

• NoraWI, adiantum, kooka and 2 others like this

dowling gram

dowling gram

• Seniors
  • 2,620 posts

Consider this--Diabetes has been around as long as the animals have roamed the earth. Before the discovery of insulin in 1921 you would have died from it in short order. You would still have died from it unless you were rich and could have afforded insulin or if you had T2 and didn't need insulin. The test for high blood sugar consisted of sticking a special stick in your urine and comparing the color to a sample chart. Not a very exact science and like my FIL  did in 1970 you would still have died from diabetes complications. It wasn't until 1971 when the first glucometer was invented that a diabetic had a way of testing their blood sugar but the first glucometers were cumbersome and required a lot of blood and it took years to come up with what we have today that is affordable to diabetics.

Controlling Blood glucose with diet has been around for a while but it came in many forms. It has only been with the diets of Atkins and Dr. Bernstein that we learned the importantance of cutting Carbohydrates.

I for 1 am grateful I got Diabetes in this day and age when I could  have the knowledge of how to control my BG and the tools to do so. The medical community move slowly to accept new ideas. The fact that Diabetes Associations do not is a draw back.  I find the new young doctors are more willing to work with you and accept new ideas.

My having diabetes has given me a new lease on life. It made me lose weight and eat healthier. Consequently I feel better and have more energy so I don't curse this condition. I embrace it.

• NoraWI, kooka, Moonpie and 3 others like this

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echos can be truly endless--Mother Thersa

JohnSchroeder

JohnSchroeder

• Seniors
  • 541 posts
  • LocationCoppell, TX
  • I am a:Type 1

To be fair, the reason store shelves are stocked with high carb foods has nothing to do with God or photosynthesis.  It has to do with the fact that there are billions of people to feed and corn, rice, potatoes and grain are very cheap, very energy rich and easy to grow and have a long shelf life.

Kind of related... some comedian has a line regarding vegetarians saying, "If God didn't want us to eat cows he shouldn't have made them delicious and easy to dominate"

Edited by JohnSchroeder, 17 February 2017 - 11:26 AM.

• NoraWI, kooka, Orlando and 1 other like this

Bolus: Humalog Pen 8-12 units

Basal: Tresiba U200 24 units

March 2016: 6.2

June 2016: 5.9

October 2016: 6.6  Yuck! time to pay better attention

January 2017 6.0

June 2017 6.0

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,817 posts
God also gave us the freedom to choose what we eat. He did not make us so we are able to eat everything in sight, We all need to practice self control. God did not create grocery stores with aisles of junk processed food, man did all that for a profit. I have developed a bad habit of checking out people's grocery carts. Many times more than half the cart is filled with processed junk food.
  • NoraWI, kooka, Moonpie and 3 others like this
metformin ER 4x500

Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Cb - You are getting some tough love here.  Diabetes and pre-diabetes are likely caused by genetics rather than lifestyle.  As you can see though, lifestyle can either aggravate this or help with controlling it for many individuals.  My doctor says, and after living with it and doing my own Google armchair research agree, that there are probably thousands of different causes when one considers how complicated the system is.

My Grandfather had to do the urine sticks.  While we comment that our tools today are imprecise, imperfect, painful, etc, they are light years beyond what was recently available to us.  I believe if your BG is over 250, your body starts dumping glucose into your urine.  Of course, that is not an exact figure for every person but it can be said that if you observe glucose in your urine, your BG is high enough for complications.

In my case, if it wasn't for diabetes, I don't think I literally had too much longer to live because of my combined obesity, untreated high blood pressure, poor diet, and sedentary lifestyle.  Diabetes made me sit down and look at life.  At 50, I finally had to concede that I am not getting younger and I better start making some choices before I no longer have the ability to choose.  For example, I can choose to start walking now and possibly avert a stroke which could rob me of that choice depending upon the severity of it.

I have no idea what the next hour will bring but I made the choice to be as healthy as I can and to do so in a way that I mostly enjoy.  To me, that is the irony of diabetes for me.  I would not have done this otherwise.

Diabetes is a horrible affliction, especially if it is ignored or undetected, so I do write these feelings with reluctance in recognition of those that have not had the same good fortune that I have had so far.

I do hope that you never progress to being diagnosed as diabetic.  It is a game changer when you look at getting health insurance, life insurance, and long term care insurance.  It is classified as a disability and, if you have diabetes, you are supposed to report that to the department that regulates drivers licenses and usually have a doctor's explanation as to your condition.

Like miketurco once said about diabetics, if life hands you lemons, freeze them and throw them at those who annoy you.

One way I look at this is that my body is so special, it needs special fuel lol...

I, for one, don't particularly care for many doctors but I have come to accept that I need their help sometimes.  Again, we are fortunate to live in a time where we have access to information (some accurate and some not) that allows us to discern what we are told and critically consider it.

Edited by meyery2k, 17 February 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• NoraWI, kooka, Moonpie and 5 others like this

kooka

kooka

My name is Barb :)

• Seniors
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationOhio
The stores are stocked with what people want to eat. If everybody stopped buying chicken in due time there would be none on the shelves.
I am a cancer survivor. Diabetes to me is a walk in the park. Two of my friends are terminal with less than a year. I have no doubt if they had a choice they'd rejoice if they could trade their lung and pancreatic cancer for diabetes no matter what the diet restrictions were.
  • adiantum, jwags, Moonpie and 4 others like this
A1C 8/02/15 6.8 (up .2 from May)
Dec. 1/2015 /6.0 Whoot!
April 27/2015 / 6.2 blah!
jan. 10/2017/ 7.3 Yikes!
DX 2004/ BG 140
Lacto Ovo Vegetarian/ 1/2017
Metformin 1000x2 daily/ now 2x500 yeah!
Synthroid .50 daily
diabetic neuropathy knees down since 2014
Gerd/ Previcid TR 30mgs
IBS/ Bentyl if needed
D3 2000, B12
12 year cancer survivor/Larynx/stage1 N0/M0/ direct beam radiation x37

“If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you've always got.”

stevenal

stevenal

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationOregon
cbokay, on 17 Feb 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

If carbohydrates are so dang bad for our bodies, why does God allow photosynthesis to grow the global roots of death that may promote a complete-nuisance-of-a-disease called, DIABETES?!@*  Oh, I know why ... it's because Man (neuter gender) has been destroying the ecosystems around the world with greed and scientific exploration since discovery of the wheel. 

Damn those eunuchs. It's a good thing they don't replicate themselves, or we'd really be in a fix. :)

Instead of God, I tend to think in terms of evolution. Wheat for example, has found carbohydrate production to greatly enhance survivability, since it entices humans to cultivate it. Seems humans will go to great lengths to ensure wheat's survival, possibly even to the extent of disregarding it's own.

I can think of only one food that has evolved to be perfectly suited to the humans that consume it.

• adiantum, Seagal, Orlando and 1 other like this

OneEye

OneEye

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Sounds as if someone needs a "holistic" hug! ;)

• cbokay likes this

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 451 posts

Sounds as if someone needs a "holistic" hug! ;)

Thanks, and you are right.  Hugs back to you.  Today I called the office of my Oncologist and asked for a referral to a Psychiatrist.  My request has been put into action.  I've been diagnosed with too many diseases too close together.  And along with that and a few problematic medical professionals, I've been on the verge of going nuts.  I need to speak with someone of higher intelligence, with a heart, that will not talk about trading one disease for another and making it seem like a swap-meet at the local flee market.

I contacted the moderators and requested they delete this whole topic.  I hope they do it.

• Moonpie and Fraser like this

I've been walking to lose weight and ran across this quote that gave me a good chuckle.

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60.

dowling gram

dowling gram

• Seniors
  • 2,620 posts

Why delete it? many of the answers may help others who are struggling with accepting a diabetes diagnoses. The way you are feeling has validity. It has often been said --ask any question or come here to vent. You did just that and no one is blaming or shaming you. I do hope you come to terms with things and that you are feeling better by getting rid of negative feelings

• kooka, Seagal, meyery2k and 1 other like this

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echos can be truly endless--Mother Thersa

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,283 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

Its good to have somewhere to vent where people understand.  As long as you pull yourself back up and keep going afterwards.  There is a difference between venting and excuses.  :)

This whole thing can be frustrating and overwhelming at first and there can be an adjustment period.  I will say, however, that it does get better.  It may not seem that way at first, but it does.

I'm glad you got the referral.  Sometimes we might need a little help along the way.  I was on Atavan for the first few months after diagnosis.  Partly because diabetes wasn't the only thing going on at the time, and between all of the medical stuff and stress at work, it was helpful.  Sometimes we just need a little help while we get a grip on things going on around us and to us.

• Seagal, meyery2k and cbokay like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Cb - I hope you understand that no one here was trying to make you feel like you were trading diseases at the swap meet. 

We understand your feelings and they are, as stated, valid.  I think the intent of many here was to share what they have discovered in their journey with diabetes.  Like diabetes itself, there are many different ways of dealing with it.

In one of my earliest posts when I was getting better I rashly, and foolishly looking back, stated that I was thankful to have diabetes because of the changes it brought on.  I wrote that knowing people who lost sight, limbs, and life to complications.  The members here were very forgiving and understood the spirit in which I had written my post.  I believe that is the case here.

We are honored to have you here as a peer.  You can serve to make this forum stronger and better than it is.  Sometimes it takes a little spirited debate to get that.

The best steel I forged with the hottest flame.

Please reconsider about deleting this post.  You never know when someone reads these that NEEDS to see it.  I have found that so many times in the year since I joined.  Sometimes the posts rankled my sense of propriety or challenged what I thought was good taste but they encouraged me to keep on keeping on... ~ Mike

• kooka, Moonpie, Seagal and 3 others like this

mystiquarte

mystiquarte

Opening Pandora's Box

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

hi cbokay I can really empathise with you and you deserve every right to be frustrated or angry at what your facing...I've being there also, overwhelmed, sick of fighting all my life, since I was a little girl I've had to fight for survival really going through things that no child should ever have to go through, it was crisis after crisis and as an adult some of them threatened my life...being at the mercy of someone elses hands; scary stuff...I vented recently to my doctor that I'm sick of fighting for everything and nothing is getting better...she said thats when you should take it minute by minute, hour by hour, mediate to get out of 'your own body' concentrate on taking deep breaths in and out, sit by the water and mediate, think or whatever is peaceful to you...get in touch with you...listen to your inner most voice and do what your thinking at that moment cos it will be spot on what you really need.  it works, it really does and just recently when I came out of my surgery it was meditation that saved my life; I had being really anxious prior to going into surgery and I was talking to the anaesthetist he asked me what I was doing and I said, meditating because I'm anxious so we ended up doing a meditation together...then when I came out of surgery I had Cardiac Arrhythmia and he took my hand looked into my eyes and told me to mediate...if we hadn't done that meditation together he would have never have known that I mediate and concentrate on breathing and it did save my life!  

• meyery2k and cbokay like this

Lantus am & pm - split dose
NovoRapid 

Ferro Grad C - iron supplement
Lexapro 10mcg

anaphylactic, lactose intolerant, diabetic no longer a herbivore 
::don't sugar coat it, I'm diabetic::

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 451 posts

I really don't have much to say, except ... you people are "real" and thanks for being that way.

Got my book yesterday and started Keto this morning at breakfast. I wrote down everything and was amazed at the % of Fats>Carbs>Protein.  It shouldn't take me too long to figure out what foods are best for my body chemistry.   Also received ReliOn meter and strips.  The Delica Lancets and device should arrive next week and then I'll be testing myself like crazy. 

I like those tiny yellow potatoes (not Yukon's) cooked in my airfryer.  They are not big and I want to see how I test on those because they satisfy me when baked with chicken thighs.  I'm trying to live without rice and pasta.  Last week I did cook four stuffed bell peppers in my airfryer.  I only added a little bit of rice.  So rice will be another food item I'll need to test on my body.  I've had Quinoa sitting in the refrigerator for a year.  As hard as I try to enjoy it, it does nothing for me.  Another food I need to test is Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Oat cereal.  I love it but it may be taboo for pre-diabetes.  I know I need to eliminate dried cranberries from my oatmeal.  Dang they are high in carbs.

I found a really cool site to help me manage fats, etc.  It's fun to use and helpful.

https://www.fatsecre...hard-boiled-egg

Well, That's All Folks!

:D 

• Moonpie, Orlando and meyery2k like this

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,817 posts
I was very healthy most of my life. I got diabetes right after menopause at the age of 56. Even though I was a vegetarian and exercised and was in normal weight range, I still got diabetes. Then when I was. 65 my health took a turn for the worse,mI went from having one doctor to having about 6 specialists now, Last June, I was dx'd with breast cancer. I went from a dx of a 2.1 cm tumor to a .7.1 cm tumor when they removed my breast. The mammogram and sonogram missed 3 tumors. I went from having one or two doctors appointment a year to 2-3 a week. My medical bills the past 8 months have been over $400,000. Now I know why the insurance industry is in a death spiral because of people like me, I just finished 6 months of chemo and will start radiation in 10 days. My cancer is an aggressive type that does not respond to hormone blockers. I, too was referred for counseling. I am always waiting for the next shoe to drop or in my case disease. I know my ONC will want me to have a Bone Density scan. My mom and all 4 of my sisters have been dx'd but refused the drugs. My list now of diseases is about a page long in my medical chart. I am now doing yoga to try to destress. I have learned I cannot control what happens to me in the future. So I live for today. DIabetes is the least of my worries right now,
  • Orlando, meyery2k and cbokay like this
metformin ER 4x500

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 451 posts
jwags. The menopause and cancer did strange things to my body, too. I went through the menopause with naturopathy because HRTs were out of the question because of the potentiality of heart disease and breast cancer. Also at that time, I had two sister who had breast cancer: one had a breast removed years earlier and the other was going through treatment. I took care of my body my way (holistically) and it took me about a year to feel like I was not a walking zombie. The crashing fatigue and bone joint aches were the worst for me. I never had a hot flash.

I strongly suggest you get that bone density test. Whatever happens, research the medications. Sometimes I think the meds are worst than the disease.

When it comes to cancer, I never know what to say, except, may God bless you for being so open and honest and strong. The radiation will kick that cancer out of your body once and for all. (In the name of Jesus Christ we ask this to be so.)
  • Moonpie and Orlando like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users