• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Rbubbaray

Rbubbaray

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

Howdy Folks,

Here is simple and handy chart I found for D2 ..  Again this may not apply to everyone depending on the condition of your D2 and doctors orders ..

Discuss blood glucose (sugar) targets with your healthcare team when creating your diabetes management plan.

People who have diabetes should be testing their blood glucose regularly at home. Regular blood glucose testing helps you determine how well your diabetes management program of meal planning, exercising and medication (if necessary) is doing to keep your blood glucose as close to normal as possible.

The results of the nationwide Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) show that the closer you keep your blood glucose to normal, the more likely you are to prevent diabetes complications such as eye disease, nerve damage, and other problems. For some people, other medical conditions, age, or other issues may cause your physician to establish somewhat higher blood glucose targets for you.

The following chart outlines the usual blood glucose ranges for a person who does and does not have diabetes. Use this as a guide to work with your physician and your healthcare team to determine what your target goals should be, and to develop a program of regular blood glucose monitoring to manage your condition.

Time of Check

Goal plasma blood glucose ranges
for people without diabetes

Goal plasma blood glucose ranges
for people with diabetes

Before breakfast (fasting)

< 100 { non Diabetics }

70 - 130 {for Diabetics }

Before lunch, supper and snack

< 110 { Non Diabetics }  70 - 130 { Diabetics}

Two hours after meals

< 140 { non Diabetics }

< 180 { Diabetics }

Bedtime

< 120 { non Diabetics}

90- 150  { diabetics}

A1C (also called glycosylated hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c or glycohemoglobin A1c)

< 6% { non Diabetics }

< 7% { diabetics }

< = less than
> = greater than
> = greater than or equal to
< = less than or equal to

Edited by Rbubbaray, 20 March 2017 - 12:51 PM.

D2 since 2014 - A1C = 9.1 { non detox} ate anything and did not take metformin, only 20mgs Glipizide .

Joined forum march 2016 .after doctor getting on me about my numbers of over 200 even fasting .

Now with this forum education and  doctor advice ,

Started low carb diet , plus 500 MG of metformin .

average numbers now being 100-140 huge leap in progress :)

Hoping to see lower A1C at next check up .

Thanks to everyone here for awesome knowledge and support .

* You wouldn't eat 22 packets of sugar , so why drink it *

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,100 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

Wheee, the usual ADA goals which lead the diabetics in my family to complications.

• GrammaBear, Seagal, Cora and 5 others like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

Weezy

Weezy

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Those are the same guidelines that led to my father's multiple amputations, multiple strokes, and eventual early death.  He followed the diet and BG guidelines to the letter, and of course he needed more and more and more insulin and his BG kept going up as he had to have feet and then legs amputated....

Personally, I want to keep my BG at or below what is listed as "normal"....I'd run screaming if I hit 180 two hours after a meal!

• Seagal, TX_Clint, OldTech and 3 others like this

TX_Clint

TX_Clint

Make my day!

• Moderators
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationDallas

The ranges for those without diabetes is acceptable for those with diabetes. The ranges for those with diabetes is acceptable for unmedicated and uncontrolled diabetes. I choose option 1.

• Seagal, Cora, OldTech and 2 others like this

DX - 08/1997 - A1c 10.4
Metformin 500x4
Jardiance 25
Levothroxine 137
Welchol 3.75
2012 A1c 10.4/6.2/5.7
2013 A1c 5.9/5.5/5.3/5.4
2014 A1c 5.5/5.4/5.8/6.1
2015 A1c 6.1,6.2,5.9
2016 A1c 5.9,5.8,5.6

2017 A1c 5.9

samuraiguy

samuraiguy

• Seniors
  • 2,599 posts

Sad fact is the CDC lists the average recorded A1C of all diabetics at 7.8 so over half of diabetics probably find the ADA guidelines too restrictive. :P

• GrammaBear, meyery2k and Rbubbaray like this

Dx T2 12/21/10 A1C 7.3 Random 278
Lost 175 pounds walking 10k steps per day and eating according to the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution.
Diet, exercise plus Metformin 500 mg twice daily

5/13/15 A1C 5.3 Lab

8/11/15 A1C 5.5 Relion Home Kit (Meter 30 day average shows 5.4 so it's all good)

2-16-16 A1C 5.6 Lab

6-7-16 A1C 5.7 Lab

12-15-16 A1C 5.6 Lab

Goal: "Keep my A1C under 5.7".

Rbubbaray

Rbubbaray

• Members
  • 186 posts

Sorry Folks ,

I did feel that number of 180 was high also . I never like seeing mine at any time above 130 .. but I thought i was being to harsh on myself , Now i guess not ...do me a favor remind me never to post info again from websites that obviously does not have a clue . I do not need people getting sick on my account .wish they really had a delete option on these forums .

• Orlando likes this

D2 since 2014 - A1C = 9.1 { non detox} ate anything and did not take metformin, only 20mgs Glipizide .

Joined forum march 2016 .after doctor getting on me about my numbers of over 200 even fasting .

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
You could ask one of the moderators (like Texas Clint) to delete the thread.
  • Seagal and Rbubbaray like this
NoraWI
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010. Levothyroxine for thyroid. Nothing else.

Rbubbaray

Rbubbaray

• Members
  • 186 posts

Thanks for the Info Nora .

I am working on getting it deleted .. please disregard this post folks , we feel this info is far from accurate .

I am very sorry for the mislead Information .

Ray

Dave_KC

Dave_KC

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationKansas City

I don't know that it's all bad Ray, primarily it keeps in mind what the suggested guidelines are out there.  Most of us here are aiming for far lower numbers and it might even be a bit of an incentive to make sure we undercut those numbers.  

Metformin 2x 750mg (5/2/17, 1x), Januvia 1x 100mg, Lisinopril 1x 10mg. 

A1c dx 11/22/2016 12.6, 

01/13/2017 7.4

05/01/2017 5.0

Rbubbaray

Rbubbaray

• Members
  • 186 posts

The reason being I feel terrible posting this now , is because I know 180 is never acceptable for a diabetic, the other numbers did not seem that bad to me , but I almost did not post it because of the 180.

What surprised me was Webmd had the same chart and that is what doctors told me they would recommend for medical Info. I realize most of the folks thats been here for a while know this stuff and what works for them , they don't need a chart  ..I thought it may help new people with diabetes that is walking around with a 200 plus everyday , may have a guideline to start off by then lower it from there .

I feel telling someone that has just became T1 or T2 , and is new to all this would not stick to a proper plan if I went to tell them they have to stop eating 70% of what they enjoy , and go to hardly no carbs , most would fall off .. But I am not a doctor and I realize its not up to me to post this type of Info unless its good for most . 180 is not good for me .130 below I am happy with for now , but even 130 may be to high for some . 

Thanks Dave

Ray

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,100 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection

Now I found in working my way down, that the ADA guidelines were a good first goal.  180 at 2 hours is better than 220 (where I saw myself sometimes in the early days).  When you're on a long haul change, little milestones you can celebrate are very helpful for morale.

• Seagal, meyery2k and Rbubbaray like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,108 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

My doctor, and some other doctors that I know, have expressed frustration openly because many patients don't even try.  I suppose half-measures are better than no measures though.

As the doctor once said...  People walk around with an A1C of 10.  I know that, even at 7, there is still the possibility of progression but it is better than being 10.  They are not likely to do what it will take to be at 5 or 6, what do I do?

At this point, I learned to have sympathy for the doctor and to understand a little better why they just say you have diabetes, commiserate with you a little, prescribe Metformin, and make the ADA recommendations.

Ray - I think you did a good thing.  A 1000 mile journey starts at mile 1 and, if people can at least get to the ADA level, they are better off than they were.  It is possible that some, making it that far, will try to see if they can go a little further.

Edited by meyery2k, 21 March 2017 - 02:54 PM.

Rbubbaray

Rbubbaray

• Members
  • 186 posts

Exactly Kit and Mike

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
The guidelines may not be so great but the discussion is all good. So maybe this thread should stay here.
  • gabrielo, meyery2k and Rbubbaray like this
NoraWI
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010. Levothyroxine for thyroid. Nothing else.

Kimbo0712

Kimbo0712

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA
The pharmaceutical companies want everyone to be on insulin and diabeties drugs .... the doctors support them so yes, the standard """acceptable" is scewed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users