- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

samtheman4a

samtheman4a

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

How many toujeo pen units should someone take once per day, if they take 25 syringe units of lantus twice a day (25 at night and 25 in morning)?

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin

That's something you should ask of your health professional. I assume you have a doctor or an NP who writes the Rxs.

• macksvicky and JohnSchroeder like this
NoraWI
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010. Levothyroxine for thyroid. Nothing else.

JohnSchroeder

JohnSchroeder

• Seniors
  • 528 posts
  • LocationCoppell, TX

And before anyone else thinks to answer, just remember we don't know if the "Syringe units" are U100 or U200.  Could mess up real quick here.

• NoraWI and macksvicky like this

Bolus: Humalog Pen 8-12 units

Basal: Tresiba U200 24 units

March 2016: 6.2

June 2016: 5.9

October 2016: 6.6  Yuck! time to pay better attention

January 2017 6.0

OneEye

OneEye

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • I am a:Type 2

It's simple math. Toujeo is 3X stronger than Lantus.

Kenton

Kenton

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationSomeplace warm and humid
  • I am a:Type 1.5

I was not on it very long due to sticker shock at the price but found it took more pen clicks of it to equal Lantus. I used 15 in the morning and 10 at night of Lantus and found I had to increase to  20 morning and 15 at night of Toujeo to get the same effect. I'm on Levemir  now, split dosage and less insulin used.

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin

I still strongly suggest that dosage is something that should be addressed by the doctor or NP.

• macksvicky likes this
NoraWI
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010. Levothyroxine for thyroid. Nothing else.

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida

Toujeo pen is calibrated for U300.

It's not units as you have in a Lanthus pen.

So if you shot 50 units of Lanthus you shoot 50 units of Toujeo.

1 unit of Toujeo is one third of a Lanthus unit.

Weird huh?

It's in the instructions

Art

• TX_Clint likes this

OneEye

OneEye

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNorCal

I was not on it very long due to sticker shock at the price but found it took more pen clicks of it to equal Lantus. I used 15 in the morning and 10 at night of Lantus and found I had to increase to  20 morning and 15 at night of Toujeo to get the same effect. I'm on Levemir  now, split dosage and less insulin used.

From GoodRx:

• Is it normal for my dose of Toujeo to be more than my Lantus dose?

Yes. Although Toujeo has three times the concentration of insulin glargine, patients treated with Toujeo during clinical trials used more insulin than patients treated with Lantus in order to maintain the same level of blood sugar control. According to the manufacturer, Sanofi-Aventis, a higher dose can be expected with Toujeo and is completely normal.

Hammer

Hammer

• Seniors
  • 8,233 posts

While Toujeo is supposed to be 3 times as strong as Lantus, I think it's actually about 2.5 times as strong, which is why you need to take a little more Toujeo than you took of Lantus.  The thing that is confusing about Toujeo is that, while it's strong than Lantus, one unit of Toujeo almost equals one unit of Lantus, and the reason for that is that one unit of Toujeo is a physically smaller amount of liquid than one unit of Lantus is. 

Let's say that if one unit of Lantus is equal to 2.5 ounces of liquid. then one unit of Toujeo would be equal to one ounce of liquid.  The fact that they call both of them one unit, doesn't mean that they are the same amount of liquid...they are just one of the units that is released from the pen.

• oblivious likes this

Presently taking: Losartan HCTZ and amlodipine for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes

Citalopram
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

Potassium

Centrum Silver for Men 50+

Milk thistle
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.)

oblivious

oblivious

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • I am a:Type 1.5

And before anyone else thinks to answer, just remember we don't know if the "Syringe units" are U100 or U200.  Could mess up real quick here.

What do you mean by this? I have never heard of a difference in syrringe units having an impact on how many units of insulin you should use?

Please don`t give advice like this. It looks like this is something you don`t really know very much about.

You can`t use this logic, and simply divide the ammount of Lantus you take by 3 to get the ammount of Toujeo you need.

Look at Hammer`s post to see how Toujeo works.

Toujeo pen is calibrated for U300.

It's not units as you have in a Lanthus pen.

Actually 1U refers to how much insulin you need of that sertain type to reduce the blood glucose by X value.
In other words, 1U of Novorapid, should have the same effect on your blood glucose as 1U of Novolog.
In fact, 1U of basal should have the same effect on your blood glucose as 1U of bolus, with one major difference in how fast they work.

Note that I say "should" since the producers of the insulins can`t produce the different types of insulin to be 100% equal in efficiency, so you still need trial and error even if 1U is 1U in theory.

In other words, units are units, whether it`s Lantus or Toujeo.

https://en.wikipedia...n)#Dosage_units

Please don`t give advice like this. It looks like this is something you don`t really know very much about.
You can`t use this logic, and simply divide the ammount of lantus you take by 3 to get the ammount of toujeo you need.

Look at Hammer`s post to see how Toujeo works.

Detected T2 01.2011 
Mean HBA1C pre MODY diax : 7.8

Diax MODY 11.2015 ยง HBA1C 03.2016 6.7

Diet, exercise, toujeo and novorapid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users