Photo

Zucchini for lasagna noodles - suggestions?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,122 posts
  • LocationInterval and Intersection
  • I am a:Type 2
So, we're going to go to the in-laws this weekend. My Milo's going to make Mr Fuzzy's favorite lasagna. We're going to try making more of a personal sized one for me using zucchini for the noodles.

Has anyone here done this before? Any tips or tricks to keep in mind? I'd like to be prepared and try to avoid disasters if possible.

My mil makes the most amazing sauce from scratch so not only does it taste great but I know exactly what's in it.
  • macksvicky likes this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

Metformin ER 500mg x2, Daily Multi Vitamin, EstroSoy Plus x2

Dx T2 1/27/2014 - A1C 10.4

A1C History:  3/2016 - 5.1, 3/2015 - 5.1,  8/2014 - 5.2,  4/2014 - 6.7

Seagal

Seagal

• Seniors
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

The only problem I ever had was overcooking it.  With the sauce & cheese though, it is really yummy.  I think next time I make it I will try searing the zuke or maybe even dipping in crushed pork rinds so it doesn't release moisture?

You are such a good cook Kit, I think whatever you make will be a winner.  Just how long you can stand on one foot?  That's the difficult part ;)

• macksvicky, meyery2k and cbokay like this

dx 2003

type 2

vlc

livin' life!

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,122 posts
Does salting help with the moisture? When I stir fry zoodles, I never salt but I use really small zucchini and they are never watery. But in all of the recipes I've looked at they always say to salt. They also all use large zucchini.

My mil is going to pickup the zucchini for me. I requested a couple small. Guess we'll see how it goes. :)

As for standing on one foot, not long. But I should be able to sit for most of the prep and mil is doing most of the work. :)

Edited by Kit, 17 May 2017 - 09:32 PM.

• macksvicky and meyery2k like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

mystiquarte

mystiquarte

Opening Pandora's Box

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

hi Kit i've made something along these lines and I used roasted eggplant (aubergine) and roasted zucchini and roasted artichoke hearts roasted with 'italian' herbs, extra virgin olive oil onions and whatever else you may want to throw in for flavor .... then layer them like a regular lasagna it's really yum 

as for not standing to long, why not sit at the kitchen table and prepare everything there as you won't be weight bearing on your foot for longer than you can...have everything on the table before you start so your not going back and forward....

Edited by mystiquarte, 18 May 2017 - 01:17 AM.

Lantus am & pm - split dose
NovoRapid 

Ferro Grad C - iron supplement
Lexapro 10mcg

anaphylactic, lactose intolerant, diabetic no longer a herbivore 
::don't sugar coat it, I'm diabetic::

javagurrl

javagurrl

spread l♥ve

• Seniors
  • 9,716 posts
  • Locationjavaland

i've made it a few times ~ it is very yummy but the water from it is insane ~ i normally salt the strips and cook in the oven a lil while on a sheet pan to try to dry them out some

still turns out watery

i wonder if squash is watery?  that or the eggplant may work better

have a great time!

.........................Life's too short for bad coffee

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

do you pin? https://www.pinteres...m/javajunkie94/

dowling gram

dowling gram

• Seniors
  • 2,602 posts

I would think egg plant would be better than zuchinni. I'd prepare it like you do for egg plant Parmesan. Unless you use a dehydrator zucchini is usually watery

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echos can be truly endless--Mother Thersa

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,122 posts
Had a fun night. Woke up around 4am with Air Supply (Sweet Dreams) going through my head. Haven't thought of that band or song since the 80s.

Anyway, I'm starting to wuss out on the lasagna and thinking I'll just do normal zoodles with the sauce. I know I've had good luck doing that. Plus I won't have the added protein of the cheese that way. My. Mil's sauce is very meaty.

Mysti, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it some time.

Sadly there's no weight at all in this foot for the time being. I go back to the surgeon on the 5th and I hope to get approval to start baring weight on it. I'll still be stuck in the boot for a while though. Maybe I'll be able to take it off when I sleep. It's driving me nuts. :)
  • macksvicky, meyery2k and mystiquarte like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • I am a:Pre-Diabetic

Does salting help with the moisture? When I stir fry zoodles, I never salt but I use really small zucchini and they are never watery. But in all of the recipes I've looked at they always say to salt. They also all use large zucchini.

My mil is going to pickup the zucchini for me. I requested a couple small. Guess we'll see how it goes. :)

As for standing on one foot, not long. But I should be able to sit for most of the prep and mil is doing most of the work. :)

First off:  I've tried various sizes of zucchini to make zoodles.  And long story short, I have the best results with a medium size that will fit whole in my Veggetti Pro.  I love this gadget.  It's like a toy and works effortlessly and is so easy to clean.

I always pink salt my zoodles and mix them around in my Lock n Lock container/s.  I let them sit for 30 minutes then rinse well in tap water.  Then I lay them out on a dry, clean kitchen towel and pat gently to remove as much water as possible without disturbing the shape.  If I'm going to cook a portion that day, I chill in refrigerator for about a half hour or so.  I have kept a plentiful supply of raw zoodles in the refrigerator for up to 3-days and they stay fresh and hold a solid consistency. 

If I plan to add chicken, onions, peppers or whatever to the zoodles, I pre-cook everything first, EXCEPT the zoodles.  I add the zoodles last and STIR HEAT them, not stir fry them.  I know that sounds nuts but you don't want to cook the zucchini.  You just want to heat it.  And if the other foods are hot when you add the raw zucchini, you've got a good start.  I add cheese once I've removed the pan from the range, and mix gently.  My zoodles have a little crunch or volume and that's what I like.  I've never had them come out mushy.

I've also never used zoodles for lasagna and I'm sure I never will.  But! I may try cutting zucchini into long 1/2 inch thick (or less) strips and making lasagna that way.  I live alone and I cook a lot of foods in my Philip's airfryer, including Keto bread & muffins.  So maybe I'll give zucchini lasagna a whiz and get back with the results.  It just may work if I cook at 360 for about 12 minutes.

The ingredients I usually use for lasagna are: ground beef and sausage cooked with oregano, onions, bell peppers, and garlic; chopped hard boiled egg/s; black olives; Ragu Pizza sauce, and four cheeses: parmesan, extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, & ricotta.  This will be interesting to see how I reduce all this down to a small pan that will fit in the airfryer.  If I don't cook it long, the zucchini should stay solid and not become mushy.  This recipe may work with daikon and celery root, too.  Has anybody tried making lasagna with those two vegetables?  Mike ... I'm sure you have.

I forgot to say, I also add pink salt and ground fresh pepper while cooking the meat mixture.  

Edited by cbokay, 18 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."  George Eliot
 "When there is nothing to lose by trying, by all means: try."  W. Clement Stone

10 Jan 2017. Dx Pre-Diabetes.  HB-A1c 6.3, mg/dl 147, mmol/l 8.2
18 Feb 2017. Began Keto diet
03 Apr 2017. HB-A1c 5.4, mg/dl 114.9, mmol/l 6.4

13 Apr 2017. Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg x 2 daily

13 Apr 2017. Vitamin D3 2000 iu x 1 daily

http://www.rajeun.ne...1c_glucose.html

Moonpie

Moonpie

Senior Member ( in years too)

• Seniors
  • 6,322 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I also recommend eggplant. I have made a lasagna with the eggplant before & it was very good. Enjoy the time with the inlaws.

:D

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,122 posts

First off: I've tried various sizes of zucchini to make zoodles. And long story short, I have the best results with a medium size that will fit whole in my Veggetti Pro. I love this gadget. It's like a toy and works effortlessly and is so easy to clean.

I always pink salt my zoodles and mix them around in my Lock n Lock container/s. I let them sit for 30 minutes then rinse well in tap water. Then I lay them out on a dry, clean kitchen towel and pat gently to remove as much water as possible without disturbing the shape. If I'm going to cook a portion that day, I chill in refrigerator for about a half hour or so. I have kept a plentiful supply of raw zoodles in the refrigerator for up to 3-days and they stay fresh and hold a solid consistency.

If I plan to add chicken, onions, peppers or whatever to the zoodles, I pre-cook everything first, EXCEPT the zoodles. I add the zoodles last and STIR HEAT them, not stir fry them. I know that sounds nuts but you don't want to cook the zucchini. You just want to heat it. And if the other foods are hot when you add the raw zucchini, you've got a good start. I add cheese once I've removed the pan from the range, and mix gently. My zoodles have a little crunch or volume and that's what I like. I've never had them come out mushy.

I've also never used zoodles for lasagna and I'm sure I never will. But! I may try cutting zucchini into long 1/2 inch thick (or less) strips and making lasagna that way. I live alone and I cook a lot of foods in my Philip's airfryer, including Keto bread & muffins. So maybe I'll give zucchini lasagna a whiz and get back with the results. It just may work if I cook at 360 for about 12 minutes.

[font=tahoma][size=4]The ingredients I usually use for lasagna are: ground beef and sausage cooked with oregano, onions, bell peppers, and garlic; chopped hard boiled egg/s; black olives; Ragu Pizza sauce, and four cheeses: parmesan, extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, & ricotta. This will be interesting to see how I reduce all this down to a small pan that will fit in the airfryer. If I don't cook it long, the zucchini should stay solid and not become mushy.

Ugh,nothing I hate more than warmed over raw vegetables. When I stir fry zoodles they aren't mushy. Hottest plan you can get and about 2 minutes of cooking. Comes out perfect every time I've done it so far.

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Hey CB - Have you tried daikon yet?  My daughter is a new member of my daikon cult lol...

• macksvicky and cbokay like this

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,810 posts
Try grilling the thin slices of zucchini first. It will hold up much better. I often make eggplant Parmesan. After I slice the eggplant , 8 salt it and let it sit on a rack on a cookie tin. This way all the water sweats out. Then I make bread crumbs with LC sprouted bread and bread it and fry it in coconut oil before assembling the casserole.

http://www.skinnytas...cchini-lasagna/
metformin ER 4x500
Moderate carb diet 75-100 carbs

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts

Kit wrote:  "Ugh,nothing I hate more than warmed over raw vegetables. When I stir fry zoodles they aren't mushy."

You put a smile on my face, Kit.  Stir frying zoodles is warming (heating) raw vegetables.  And I love! them.  :D

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts

Try grilling the thin slices of zucchini first. It will hold up much better. I often make eggplant Parmesan. After I slice the eggplant , 8 salt it and let it sit on a rack on a cookie tin. This way all the water sweats out. Then I make bread crumbs with LC sprouted bread and bread it and fry it in coconut oil before assembling the casserole.

http://www.skinnytas...cchini-lasagna/

Wow.  I was using logic when I tried to figure out how to make zucchini lasagna.  And here you come along with this fantastic recipe.  Thanks.  This will take all the guess-work away.  I guess the grilling first would give it more flavor.  But I'm concerned it might cook it too much. I need to study that option more.

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts

Hey CB - Have you tried daikon yet?  My daughter is a new member of my daikon cult lol...

No, I haven't bought daikon yet, Mike.  I keep forgetting to get it.  I've been really busy mentoring a sick cousin who was just diagnosed with rectal cancer.

Have you made a daikon lasagna?

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

Oh dear - I do hope your cousin will be OK.

I am not sure how well daikon would work as a lasgna.  It can be pretty watery.  My daughter put it in her stew and she has been making breakfast skillets.

One mad idea I have had is to cube it, boil it, and see if I can make a type of potato salad out of it.

Edited by meyery2k, 18 May 2017 - 02:21 PM.

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts

Oh dear - I do hope your cousin will be OK.

I am not sure how well daikon would work as a lasgna.  It can be pretty watery.  My daughter put it in her stew and she has been making breakfast skillets.

One mad idea I have had is to cube it, boil it, and see if I can make a type of potato salad out of it.

I just bought one daikon radish today.  I only peeled and cut off a few small pieces and fried them, just to see how it worked up.  I also viewed some YouTube videos (Japanese) ... I was learning by pictures.   Once I get familiar with this tubular wonder, I'll venture out and try new recipes.  But I do believe I will love this new-found food.  Thanks for bringing it to the attention of curious ears.  :)

When I use to make potato pancakes, I would par cook the potatoes and then grate them.  I think I will do the same with the daikon---maybe.  The gal in the video didn't par-boil hers, though.  Daikon is a fairly solid tubular.  You could probably use a larger one for a baseball bat.  It couldn't be more watery than zucchini---yah think---for lasagna?  Potato salad sounds good.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Mike, regarding my cousin.  Tomorrow we will know more about her treatment.

Edited by cbokay, 18 May 2017 - 07:58 PM.

cbokay

cbokay

• Members
  • 386 posts

Hey, Mike.  Daikon is going to be excellent for spaghetti.  This morning I spiraled a two inch chuck of daikon, which came out to about 1/2 cup spiraled.  I did salt it and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse and pat as usual.  I added the spiraled daikon to my yellow onions that were about 2/3rd sautéed through.  Now I DID stir fry the daikon for about 5 minutes with the onion.  (Zoodles I DON'T stir fry.  I just toss them around a bit and heat them up).

The spiraled daikon held together and was not mushy at all.  When you add spaghetti sauce to this with meat, and whatever else you prefer, you won't be able to tell the difference until you bite into it.  It holds it's consistency.  At least it held together with my sautéed yellow onions.

And because it does hold up as spaghetti, it will probably work for lasagna.  How terrific would that be with green bell peppers and mushrooms and all the other goodies in there ...  :wub:   I'm so excited about this new non-gluten food choice, next I will spiral Jicama and see how that works out.  I'm lovin' this ...

1/2 cup (spiraled) Daikon: 10.5 Cals.  0 Fat.  2.5 Carbs.  .5 Prot.

meyery2k

meyery2k

Don't worry, be happy...

• Seniors
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationHilo, HI

I am going to try that!  Thank you for sharing.

I see you are the newest member of the cult of daikon lol...

I am going to try my tater salad idea this weekend.

Kit

Kit

Weird is Awesome

• Seniors
  • 5,122 posts
Just got back home. I ate way too much.

Zoodles went excellent with my mil's spaghetti sauce. Not something I would do often because of the carbs in all that tomato, but it was quite enjoyable. Ate to much of it too.

Also ate too much cheese earlier today. Pecorino Romano was very tasty.

Made a chocolate caramel cheesecake mousse for dessert. Was very good. I probably gained 5 pounds. :D

I took pictures of the zoodles and cooking process, but I need to figure out how to resize them on my phone before I can post.
  • Moonpie, macksvicky and meyery2k like this

10/6/2016 - A1C 5.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users