- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dacruzer

dacruzer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
I came down with Flu yesterday, is there a relation for my B/S to go high?:hmmmm: :questionm

greendavid

greendavid

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Yes. From the web site of the American Diabetes Association:

When you're sick, you're under stress. To deal with this stress, your body releases hormones that help it fight disease. But these hormones have side effects. They raise blood sugar levels and interfere with the blood sugar-lowering effects of insulin.

Most important thing is to drink enough water. Drink a glass an hour -- that's every HOUR -- to avoid dehydration. If you get dehydrated, you can start a nasty syndrome where your kidneys don't have enough fluid to flush glucose from your body. Your BG can get so high that you need to go to the hospital.

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!

--greendavid

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Get Well Soon!

Cinnabon

Cinnabon

• 500 plus
  • 3,291 posts
Yes.. any infection will cause our BS to rise. Drink, as everyone her stated, and whatever medication they gave you, take it. You want this out of your body ASAP!
T1- 27 yrs
MM-522

A1C steady @ 6.9 for 1.5 yrs. Endo decided to keep me there after a severe hypo causing car accident.
10-2010- 7.1:eek: Due to Ayestin, a medication for an Ovarian Cyst. Its gone but Very BAD side effects, such as constant HBS.

Posted Image
I see thru God's eyes!!!!

http://www.facebook....Leon/1068478571

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Agree with Cinnabon! Even though you are sick you should ALWAYS take your meds and that goes double for people on insulin!
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts
:dito: :dito: :dito: Drink water and other fluids like they are your favorite pair of shoes and they are going out of style in 5 seconds....lol (I'm in a strange mood today...Don't be afraid...lol :eek: ) And, never, I repeat, never skip the meds. Even if you are having trouble eating. There are suitable liquids to drink when you have the flu, which have decent amounts of carbs. I'm sorry about your bg's! I hate that they go up so much when we are sick. But, just do as everyone here has stated, and you will be feeling better, and with better bg's, in no time :) Feel better!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Laura Anne :star:

"Happy Day! All is well!

Pumping with Paradigm 712 since November 17th, 2004

Type 1 since April, 1995

MYDEAR

MYDEAR

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
and stay in bed and don't try to do to much. hope you get well soon.
500 mg metformin 2 X a day/ I'm eating smart every
meal & aiming for 64 oz of water a day
Posted ImageI'm taking my life back......

Tokyo Cate

Tokyo Cate

• 500 plus
  • 703 posts
I hope you are starting to feel better. Poor you. It is miserable being sick--especially when it throws your blood sugar on a roller-coaster.

As others have said, test often, drink lots of fluid and if things get questionable, get some help.

Odaiji ni (get well soon)!

dacruzer

dacruzer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
thanks a lot for all the replies. I am drinking lots of fluid and is taking all my medications. I feel better already.:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users