- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Goldrun

Goldrun

• Members
  • 116 posts
Hi everyone!
I use Novolog to bolus, and just noticed that my box of pens has an expiration of 3/2006. I still have 3 pens left! So, does anyone know how long the meds are actually good for, or should I scrap these and get a new prescription?

I'm relatively new to the bolus scene (since late January when I transitioned from 70/30 to Lantus/ Novolog), but my control has been pretty good over the past month with this Novolog...so, does it make sense that I use it until I can't keep regulated between meals?

thanks for any help!

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I would use them until you notice that your #s are getting higher than you expect them to be. That is as long as you've kept them stored in the fridge.

But then, I'm known for being cheap. I even used my Lantus 4 days to 2 weeks past it's "Proper Time." I just kept a Very Close eye on the #s.

The standard "Acceptable" plan is to pitch it once it's expired.

Also, when you went through Insulin school they should have warned you to always check the expiration date of your insulin so that it wouldn't expire on you.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

Goldrun

Goldrun

• Members
  • 116 posts
Insulin School???
That would have been nice!
I think I'll do what you suggest--it's always good to have a second opinion!
thanks...and by the way, I love your quote....I always notice your replies because of it!

sbuff28@charter

sbuff28@charter

• Members
  • 306 posts
I was told that if you refridgerate almost all insulin its good for a couple years at least, once its out of the frig to discard after a max of 2 months...usually 1 month

i would keep them in the fridge, never know if you might need them someday
Type 1
23 years old
Diagnosed Jan 5,06

:ridinghor :eviltongu :cheers: :beer:

:fight: My fingertips at WAR with themselves.

psilocybin

psilocybin

• Seniors
  • 1,894 posts
a expiration date is a estimated guess about how long it is good for....i odnt think i would use it after a couple months of expiration though
LETS GO BUFFALO

"Pancreas? We don't need no stinkin' pancreas

Posted Image

Certified Computer technician
Recent A1C - 5.3:cheers:
Type 1-Diagnosed Jan 27/2006 at age 21:stickyman
retired SLATE GREY Deltec Cozmo pump
Currently on BLUE animas 2020
:help:
Using BLUE inset 2 sets
GREEN OneTouch UltraMini
:thrasher:

Martha

Martha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Throw them out and get a new script. My Endo Dr told me if they Expire ALWAYS THROW THEM OUT DO NOT USE THEM OF THE EXPIRE DATE. Why would you want to use them after the expire date? then you will notice your numbers are high again then do something about it. Makes no sence to me get ride of them.

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
Several years ago, a nurse told me that the expiration date on the bottle is six months prior to the actual expiration date. Keeping that in mind, I've used several vials of insulin after they expired. I hate to say it but the vial of NPH I'm using now expired in January. It seems to be working fine. I can't tell you to use it but from my experience it should be safe, just keep an eye on your blood sugar and if it should go up then I'd change it.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

dws

dws

• Members
  • 141 posts
They, the pens, will not stop working on the date it expires! I have some that are 2 yrs out of date and still work fine! That don't mean that they won't go bad tomorrow or next month, but you will notice when they stop.:nurse: :ahhhhh:

don
DWS , type 1, dx 01/1940, age 5

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts

Also, when you went through Insulin school they should have warned you to always check the expiration date of your insulin so that it wouldn't expire on you.

hey Rzr, what Insulin School did you go to? I went to State, Class of 1990. I bet we beat your butts in football...

seacomp

seacomp

• Seniors
  • 1,349 posts

Throw them out and get a new script. My Endo Dr told me if they Expire ALWAYS THROW THEM OUT DO NOT USE THEM OF THE EXPIRE DATE. Why would you want to use them after the expire date? then you will notice your numbers are high again then do something about it. Makes no sence to me get ride of them.

For some of us, money is an object, and insulin, especially off insurance is expensive.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts

seacomp

For some of us, money is an object, and insulin, especially off insurance is expensive.

Exactly, I pay for All my insulin so I have to make every drop count.

Frodo to Samwise

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts

seacomp

Exactly, I pay for All my insulin so I have to make every drop count.

duck Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbks

hey Rzr, what Insulin School did you go to? I went to State, Class of 1990. I bet we beat your butts in football...

I played Left-Half-Tackle and Defensive Right Point Guard at the University of Modern Art...........We tried to schedule you guys but that was the year we had the scandal involving scorbic acid, magnesium hydroxide, and sodium chloride abuse amoung the players.

Frodo to Samwise

seacomp

seacomp

• Seniors
  • 1,349 posts

but that was the year we had the scandal involving scorbic acid, magnesium hydroxide, and sodium chloride abuse amoung the players.

But did you hear about when the whole team took oxygen dihydride?:evil:

sbuff28@charter

sbuff28@charter

• Members
  • 306 posts
Evil stuff

Seacomp- I at least get the joke! yay for chemestry!
Type 1
23 years old
Diagnosed Jan 5,06

seacomp

seacomp

• Seniors
  • 1,349 posts

Evil stuff

Seacomp- I at least get the joke! yay for chemestry!

Actually I stole it; someone had written a long, detailed, and completely true story of all the evils associated with that chemical and ran it on the front page of a local newspaper.:itsme: Within a week, there were strident calls to ban it!
Did you know that microbes are absolutely dependant on the stuff; won't grow without it.

sbuff28@charter

sbuff28@charter

• Members
  • 306 posts
yeah they'll like grow so much better in your body with it. Viruses and Bacteria thrive in that stuff, discusting if you ask me!
Type 1
23 years old
Diagnosed Jan 5,06

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
I only use it to down my old insulin with...

stella117

stella117

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I would call Novo Nordisk and get them to swap out the pens for you. They will probably have you send them back to them and either reimburse you, give you a coupon or replace them for free.
Diagnosed 11/4/05 - hbA1c = 15.7
Last hbA1c 4/21/06 = 5.9

Levemir and Novolog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users