What does bolus mean???

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Gabby123

Gabby123

• Members
  • 214 posts
I know this is a stupid question to some and I see it mentioned alot. Can anyone tell me what ii means?????

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
Generally speaking there are NO stupid questions about Diabetes.

Bolus is when you inject/pump extra amount of fast-acting insulin to cover a low or, more often it the insulin you inject to cover any food you have eaten.

or more accurately, the # of carbs you have ingested
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts

Bolus is when you inject/pump extra amount of fast-acting insulin to cover a low

Ummmm I would hate to be around you when I'm low. :goodnight
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

DesertDiabetic

DesertDiabetic

• Members
  • 167 posts
bolus can be used both ways. Diabetics refer to an injection of insulin to counter high blood glucose while the medical profession uses bolus correctly to mean an injection to correct a condition quickly - high or low. They use it to correct lows by injecting a sugar fluid(simplified) when the patient cannot take anything orally.
500mg Metformin 3X and Avandia 2mg 2X
Dx'd 12/2004

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts
Whewww I got scared a minute there. I was thinking bolus was for only a correction of high or for intake of food. I will now have to add that to my diabetic terms.
~Sandi~
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5

camjen1

rzrbks
Bolus is when you inject/pump extra amount of fast-acting insulin to cover a low

Ummmm I would hate to be around you when I'm low.

You mean like I was when I wrote this? lol

Actually, I was thinking of the tubes of glucose I get and use sometimes when I'm low----was taught by CDE that wife ( or kindly stranger) was to inject (squeeze) the contents into mouth.

My VERY Bad,

it should have read

Bolus is when you inject/pump extra amount of fast-acting insulin to cover a low or high, more often, it's the insulin you inject to cover any food you have eaten.

Thanks for pointing out my mistakecamjen1

bolus

SYLLABICATION: bo·lus
PRONUNCIATION: bls
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. bo·lus·es
1. A round mass: “A dense bolus of trapped dolphins fills the frame” (Kenneth Browser). 2a. A single, relatively large quantity of a substance, such as a dose of a drug, intended for therapeutic use and taken orally. b. A concentrated mass of a substance administered intravenously for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. 3. A soft mass of chewed food within the mouth or alimentary canal.

http://www.bartleby....7/B0377700.html
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

DesertDiabetic

DesertDiabetic

• Members
  • 167 posts
Let me correct myself. I did not to mean that the diabetic community uses bolus wrong - it is just being used to mean something specific when it has more meanings that do apply to diabetics as well.
500mg Metformin 3X and Avandia 2mg 2X
Dx'd 12/2004

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts
I assumed bolus only ment for a correction or intake of food. Now that you mention what a bolus ment for correcting a low means makes total sense now. :)
~Sandi~
Symlin

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts

You mean like I was when I wrote this? lol

Actually, I was thinking of the tubes of glucose I get and use sometimes when I'm low----was taught by CDE that wife ( or kindly stranger) was to inject (squeeze) the contents into mouth.

My VERY Bad,

it should have read

Thanks for pointing out my mistakecamjen1

http://www.bartleby....7/B0377700.html

Fast acting insulin only for highs.

Carbohydrate bolus for lows. But for purposes of this board, it means fast acting insulin for highs or food.

citycentre

citycentre

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
BOLUS is latin for 'lump' and in diabetes usage is a poor choice term meaning ... to add insulin in a 'lump' amount as opposed to BASAL (another poor choice latin usage) which
means 'low or base' hence BASE rate (Basal rate). Unfortunately many medical terms have their root origins in Latin which stems back to medieval times when Latin institutions
had a monopoly on written data (similar to Botanics).

In reality UK we know BASAL to be our 'daily insulin ('Base') rate' and BOLUS to be our 'instant insulin inject rate ('lump' of insulin at once!)'

You could refer to BASAL as your 'base' rate amount and BOLUS as your instant 'lump' inject amount.

Ah Latin, it can make a mockery of learning and over-complicate things... I mean, why call a spade a spade when you can refer to it as
'AN INORGANO ORGANO INTERFACE MODULE'

Why cut out the fog by using plain english when you can bring down a thick mist of latin and confuse everybody.

Our ancient ancestors named the chickadee because of the simple sound it made... 'chickadee, chickadee, chickadee'
Yet in our local zoo a professor refers to this chickadee as 'a great crested tit' (you should see the latin name!!!) :)

MsTCB

MsTCB

Banned

• Banned
  • 363 posts

BOLUS is latin for 'lump' and in diabetes usage is a poor choice term meaning ... to add insulin in a 'lump' amount as opposed to BASAL (another poor choice latin usage) which
means 'low or base' hence BASE rate (Basal rate). Unfortunately many medical terms have their root origins in Latin which stems back to medieval times when Latin institutions
had a monopoly on written data (similar to Botanics).

In reality UK we know BASAL to be our 'daily insulin ('Base') rate' and BOLUS to be our 'instant insulin inject rate ('lump' of insulin at once!)'

You could refer to BASAL as your 'base' rate amount and BOLUS as your instant 'lump' inject amount.

Ah Latin, it can make a mockery of learning and over-complicate things... I mean, why call a spade a spade when you can refer to it as
'AN INORGANO ORGANO INTERFACE MODULE'

Why cut out the fog by using plain english when you can bring down a thick mist of latin and confuse everybody.

Our ancient ancestors named the chickadee because of the simple sound it made... 'chickadee, chickadee, chickadee'
Yet in our local zoo a professor refers to this chickadee as 'a great crested tit' (you should see the latin name!!!) :)

I know you are new to the forum, so I just wanted to let you know that you can look at the time and date stamp on the dark blue horizontal line to see when this thread was active. You just answered someone who posted a question 6 YEARS ago.

How about going to the Intro thread and introducing yourself. Do you have Diabetes?
MsTCB

Diagnosed 1996 (at age 35)

Started tx w/ meds & insulin on 9/28/11:
Metformin ER - 2000 mg/ day
Lantus - 24 units every 12 hours
Humalog - approx 60 units/day
LC/HF diet (<60 gr carbs/day)
Ha1c 07.6 (12/28/11) :)
Ha1c 12.7 (09/28/11) :eek:

Grateful Thyroid Cancer Survivor :)
Armour Thyroid 300 mg (5 grains)/day

0 user(s) are reading this topic