Baker's Cyst behind my knee :(

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

TvBabe

TvBabe

• 500 plus
  • 535 posts
As some of you know I do a daily walking program. Last week while hiking on a local trail I felt a sudden sharp pain behind my knee and since then my knee has been killing me :(

I've been icing it, thinking I may have sprained something but it hasn't improved. So today I saw my GP and he seems to think I have a Baker's Cyst behind my kneecap. I am having an ultrasound tomorrow morning to "confirm" the diagnoses. My GP has suggested that a get a Neoprine knee compression sleave (sp) and it should make things more comfortable for me. Worse case scenerio would mean surgery.

Has anyone else had a baker's cyst (in this area or elsewhere) and how was it treated?
TvBabe (AKA Michelle)
Mommy to Maxmillian,the "send me a Fax" Cat

Using an Pretty Silver Animas 1200 Pump with Novarapid! It arrived November 2, 2005.
Latest A1C 5.3 on May 14/06

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
I had a bible cyst on my wrist. They call them bible cysts because in the old days they supposedly used to take a bible and whack the cyst to pop it. I actually popped mine myself one day after a few beers. It came back and I decided to leave it alone. It ended up going away by itself the second time. I did look into getting it removed at the time and found that the procedure involved an simple visit where the doctor drains it with a special syringe under local anesthesia. Not sure if a baker's cyst is the same or related...

KickStart101

KickStart101

• 500 plus
  • 3,185 posts

As some of you know I do a daily walking program. Last week while hiking on a local trail I felt a sudden sharp pain behind my knee and since then my knee has been killing me :(
I've been icing it, thinking I may have sprained something but it hasn't improved. So today I saw my GP and he seems to think I have a Baker's Cyst behind my kneecap. I am having an ultrasound tomorrow morning to "confirm" the diagnoses. My GP has suggested that a get a Neoprine knee compression sleave (sp) and it should make things more comfortable for me. Worse case scenerio would mean surgery.
Has anyone else had a baker's cyst (in this area or elsewhere) and how was it treated?

Hey Michelle, I'm sorry to hear that you are in more pain. Like you need that. :( As you know, Baker's Cysts are a common happening with people with arthritis, etc. I had them 3 times in my 20's and 30's. It always hit me when I was over stressed with work and a houseful of Kids to look after, so
I didn't have time to look after it 'til later in the evening.
I just put my legs up for about 10-15 minutes with a warm pack(couldn't stand cold packs)under my knee and took some extra anti-inflamatories.(sp)Then I would do some leg stretching exercises and wrap an elastic bandage around my knee for support. They do eventually drain by themselves, then they are fine. Orthopedic Surgeons usually prefer not to operate on them unless there in no other choice.

Avoid activities such as:kneeling, lifting heavy objects, running, climbing, squatting, etc.
Try to get some rest also.
Do elevate your legs for a while.
Applying OTC creams like Aspercream to the back and around your knee(s)
are often helpful.
Holdng a cold pack to the back of the knee(s) may be useful also.

I hope that you feel better soon. :flowers:
Type 1 for 46 yrs.
%%%%%%%%%%
Dxd. Dec./1961
%%%%%%%%%%
MDI ~:hello:
%%%%%%%%%%
***CARLIE***
~*~*~*~*~*~
*Good Luck 07-08 Sens*
~*~*~*~*~*~

~~:cheers:~~
%%%%%%%%%%

TvBabe

TvBabe

• 500 plus
  • 535 posts
Thought I'd give everyone an update....I never knew a walking/hiking program could get this expensive!

Well after ultrasounds and xrays of BOTH knees my doctor has come to the conclusion that to continue my program I will have to get a custom (read expensive) knee brace. He referred me to a sports medicine clinic and they quoted me a cost of $1200-$1500 for my knee brace. Now my hubby's extended health plan WILL cover the cost up to 90% but I do have to pay up front and then get reimbursed.

Then I got to thinking....I got braces for my feet last year at the Mary Pack Arthritis Center (part of Vancouver General Hospital). They did a fabulous job on them so I gave them a call and asked if they also did knee braces and they do. So I will need to go back to my doctor and get a referral for me to go back to the Arthritis Center. I have nothing against the sports medicine clinic but I suspect I might have my "needs" met better at the Arthritis Center since their focus is on arthritis :)
TvBabe (AKA Michelle)
Mommy to Maxmillian,the "send me a Fax" Cat

Using an Pretty Silver Animas 1200 Pump with Novarapid! It arrived November 2, 2005.
Latest A1C 5.3 on May 14/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users