- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

NoSugar

NoSugar

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to this forum, so I am shocked to read how many Type 1 people are using the pump. It seems great - image never to get high sugar levels again. Wow!!! Understandly, as someone who experiences a lot of low readings too, having a low reaction must be a concern.
My problem is my endro doctor doesn't want to prescribe me the pump. It would be great. Unfortunately, we keep fighting about it. Does anyone have this problem?

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts

I am new to this forum, so I am shocked to read how many Type 1 people are using the pump. It seems great - image never to get high sugar levels again. Wow!!! Understandly, as someone who experiences a lot of low readings too, having a low reaction must be a concern.
My problem is my endro doctor doesn't want to prescribe me the pump. It would be great. Unfortunately, we keep fighting about it. Does anyone have this problem?

First off, you need to understand, highs happen on the pump. It's just another way to get insulin.

What reason did your doctor give you for not getting a pump?

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Welcome to the forum, if I haven't told you that elsewhere.

First we need a little more info. Why are you and your doctor fighting about it? Is he anti-pump in general? I know a few endo's that just don't want to take the time to learn about pumps, and therefore they won't prescribe items they have no knowledge of since they would be useless in helping you master the product.

Or is there a specific reason he doesn't think a pump will work for you? Lifestyle? Your current treatment method? What was your last A1C?

Tell us a little more about your situation and I think you'll get alot more help.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
Depending on how old your endo is, this is common. In my experience, and from what I have read here on this forum, the older the endo the less likely they are to prescribe a pump, for various reasons.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
I had to try a few endos before I found one I liked, no reason to stick with one endo if he/she is not meeting your needs.

HollyB

HollyB

• Seniors
  • 641 posts
I think it really depends on your doc's personal experience, and also the milieu they work in. Within an hour of my son's diagnosis, still in emerg, we were getting a pep talk about the benefits of the pump, and this at a fairly small-town hospital. Turns out one of the emergency room nurses wears one, so I guess she's a walking advertisement with the local docs.

parrotletzoo

parrotletzoo

• Seniors
  • 740 posts
Nosugar,

find a new Dr if you really want a pump. You can go to minimed's website and look up Drs on their site that are pump advocates. Find one in your area. If you don't want a minimed pump and prefer a different brand that doesnt matter but thier site has a good database of pump friendly Drs.

http://www.mymedpage...arm=mmedc<br />
IDDM since jan 1980
Mom's day 2006 recieved islet transplant, off insulin as of July 14, 2006.
for more infomation visit http://www.thechicag...e Magazine2.pdf

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts

don't expect pumping to eliminate all high bg's. It doesn't. In fact, some complain about the possibility of going into DKA because of infusion issues.

If you and your endo don't see eye to eye on the subject, I strongly urge you to do what took me years to figure out--namely, CHANGE ENDOS! Call around for a pump friendly endo and make an appointment, even if he/she is a bit far away, if that's the only one you can find.

Just don't expect miracles--you'll get both hypo and hyper while pumping--but the swings should be less severe than on MDI if you are like me. On MDI, I did glucagon a few times, 911 calls, and very high bg's nearly every day (I didn't have a meter back then). On a pump, no 911 calls or Glucagon needed in 10 years. and my highs aren't as high.

Bottom line: if your expectations are too lofty, you'll just end up being unhappy with pumping and will wonder why we are so "pro-pump" here...

Your A1c should drop after you go on a pump and get it leveled out.
T1 DM since '78
MM Pumper since '96
Current Pump: Blue MM 522

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• Seniors
  • 6,259 posts
The other side of it is that your endo might not feel you're actually ready for a pump. Your doctor's job isn't to give you what you've decided is best for your diabetes treatment - their job is use all that training and experience and knowledge that you don't have to ascertain what's the best treatment plan for you.

It might be that your doctor isn't convinced that you're capable of safely using a pump yet and would rather keep you on your current treatment plan until they feel you are capable. Instead of asking "why won't my doctor give me a pump?", you should be asking "what can I do to convince my doctor that a pump is the right treatment choice for me?"
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

EdnaDeel

EdnaDeel

• Members
  • 241 posts

My advice to you is change Dr's.
I went to 3 different endo's before I found the right one, and tommorrow I am getting hooked up on the pump!!!!!!!

So all my pumping family out there .....Get ready for questions in a few days........lol
dx in 2000
pumping since 5/26/2006
royal blue- animas 1250
cozmo blue 2008

kidvid

kidvid

• Members
  • 251 posts

Ditto what everyone else said about being ready for and educated enough to use a pump. But I would call BS regarding a med pro dictating how MY disease is managed. I guess I'm lucky in one respect - I work with a CDE to manage my care - I do not use an endo or a GP. She has 9 years in the field, is a practicing PA and really knows her stuff. We work together to make decisions. I work like a dog to stay current, track data, eat right...generally make diabetes my second job. Maybe my first - I'm gonna' live as long and as healthy as I can. My CDE writes all my scrips, worked with me to employ Symlin in my MDI routine - no endo necessary! I got on a pump within 3 months of diagnosis - no endo necessary!

When I see all the hoops we go through to employ the services of an endo I wonder how often it's necessary. I am admittedly new to this game, have few complications and have never seen an endo. But how much of our collective disease management is just keeping the health care industry afloat? What does an endo have in his arsenal that a good CDE (with the authority and accoutability mine does) does not? They aren't going to give us a transplant, they aren't going cure us, they are going to fiddle with meds.

If I don't have anything beyond diabetes (no thyroid problems, minimal neuropathy) I can't see the necessity of an endo. Besides - where I live, the nearest endo is 6 hours and 2 mountain passes away.

Like I said - I'm new at this - tell me where I'm wrong.

Regards,

Joe
"Quod me nutruit me destruit"

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• Seniors
  • 6,259 posts
Exactly - work with your endo or whoever else is part of your care team. Just remember that they do generally know what they're talking about, and that you aren't automatically entitled to a pump just because you have diabetes.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

psilocybin

psilocybin

• Seniors
  • 1,894 posts

im sorry to here this...fight for your right... give him a bit of a argument about it
LETS GO BUFFALO

"Pancreas? We don't need no stinkin' pancreas

Posted Image

Certified Computer technician
Recent A1C - 5.3:cheers:
Type 1-Diagnosed Jan 27/2006 at age 21:stickyman
retired SLATE GREY Deltec Cozmo pump
Currently on BLUE animas 2020
:help:
Using BLUE inset 2 sets
GREEN OneTouch UltraMini
:thrasher:

slowbra

slowbra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had the same problem, I was 28 at the time and my sugars were all over the place. I really hate Endos like this, my 1st one said he would not put me on the pump until my A1C was at 4 and my blood sugars were between 70-120 for a year. people like this need to seek a different job because I got a pump from a different doc 3 months later and my sugars are 100% better now.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts

I had the same problem, I was 28 at the time and my sugars were all over the place. I really hate Endos like this, my 1st one said he would not put me on the pump until my A1C was at 4 and my blood sugars were between 70-120 for a year. people like this need to seek a different job because I got a pump from a different doc 3 months later and my sugars are 100% better now.

My endo would be mad at me if my a1c was 4, and 70-120 all the time is literally impossible. My doctor doesn't even want me there all the time- he prefers 140s after eating.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts

My insurance company won't even pay for one if my A1C is under 6.0%. The only way they will pay for one if it's been 4 years and it's a replacement pump. But if I went 10 years down the road, switched to MDI for 4 years, and had a 5.5% A1C on MDI, I'd never be able to go back on a pump.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users