Photo

Stiffness In Neck, Back Shoulders Due To Diabetes!!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

angelic

angelic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
Is anyone experiencing stiffness in back, neck, shoulders beings diabetic? I suffer from chronic pain usually on either side of neck and lower shoulder.
Any remedies?

On
Levemir , Novolog, Metformin Type 1.5
Diabetic since: 1995
Current Meds: 15units Levemir at bedtime
2x500mg XR Metformin before dinner
10 mg Xr Glipizide in the morning
Last A1c: 7.3

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
The one thing that helps me when I have a stiff neck is an exercise I learned. Sit on a firm chair with feet firmly on the floor, and back straight. Turn your head to your right shoulder as thought trying to touch your chin to it, hold it there to a slow count of 10. Slowly move your head back to the center and lower your chin to your chest to the count of 10. Then repeat to the other shoulder. Usually 3 of these work for me. This also eases a minor stiff back or shoulders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
Find yourself a good chiropractor...one that initially freaks you out because of how kooky they are. The chiro I see worried me at first, saying that your entire life flows through your spine. Anyway, long story short, I used to have a chronic back problem in my upper back from an injury I suffered early in my teens, and within three months of seeing this guy I felt 100% better, and within six months it was like I never had the injury. And there are other benefits as well, my neck is rarely stiff, I have a better range of motion (not that I was ever really hampered, but still), I've felt healthier.

I'm a true believer...I'd say find a good chiro and you'll most likely forget you ever had these problems.

Brenda A

Brenda A

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Hi
Is anyone experiencing stiffness in back, neck, shoulders beings diabetic? I suffer from chronic pain usually on either side of neck and lower shoulder.
Any remedies?

On

Did you have this before your Diabetic meds? Some cause this. I had severe arthritis pain with some of the meds. It took going off to see how much was caused by what. I have back and neck problems but they were really made worse by some of my meds. I am now on Humulin R and Symlin. The metformin and novolog were rough on my joints and stiffness. If you had them before with no problem, then that would not be the case. Just think about when it started. I use heat then cold. If stiffness keeps my neck from turning then periodic muscle relaxers, but I have a really bad spine injury with mutiple disc crushed and ruptured. Stiffness goes with diabetes.

TvBabe

TvBabe

• 500 plus
  • 535 posts

Hi
Any remedies?

On

Are you on a statin? They can cause muscle pain and if you are you should discuss it with your doctor!
TvBabe (AKA Michelle)
Mommy to Maxmillian,the "send me a Fax" Cat

Using an Pretty Silver Animas 1200 Pump with Novarapid! It arrived November 2, 2005.
Latest A1C 5.3 on May 14/06

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts

Did you have this before your Diabetic meds? Some cause this. I had severe arthritis pain with some of the meds. It took going off to see how much was caused by what. I have back and neck problems but they were really made worse by some of my meds. I am now on Humulin R and Symlin. The metformin and novolog were rough on my joints and stiffness. If you had them before with no problem, then that would not be the case. Just think about when it started. I use heat then cold. If stiffness keeps my neck from turning then periodic muscle relaxers, but I have a really bad spine injury with mutiple disc crushed and ruptured. Stiffness goes with diabetes.

I can't disagree with this more...I do agree that meds can cause joint inflammation and pain/stiffness, but there are treatments that do not require additional meds. Please don't think you have to suffer like this *just* because you have diabetes.

(of course, affording the treatment is another story, sometimes)

Brenda A

Brenda A

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I can't disagree with this more...I do agree that meds can cause joint inflammation and pain/stiffness, but there are treatments that do not require additional meds. Please don't think you have to suffer like this *just* because you have diabetes.

(of course, affording the treatment is another story, sometimes)

What type of treatments are you talking about? I have had numerous therapy treatments of all kinds. I have had MRIs, had muscle relaxers, anti imflamation meds, and offered pain killers which I will not go on. Chiros won't touch me after seeing my X Rays. I am VERY sensitive to diabetes meds among others. They cause me great added muscle pain and stiffness, plus all over pricklys (like being stuck all over by pins and needles), and and tremors sort of seisure like. I have and continue to spend a small fortune on the next hopeful relief, but only to watch my money go and my pain remain. If there is something for real out there :adore: I AM WANTING TO KNOW!!!! I am worried about staying mobile. I have went to many Doctors, I am talking many for about 12 years. I am losing the use of my arms and legs. I have at times partial sudden paralylisis. I fall down sometimes because my legs will suddenly refuse to put one leg in front of the other in the middle of my walking, and without notice!!!!. Very irritating when you are in a hurry. I just recently started telling my family that I can't do this or that because I just can not keep on struggling to do things like I have been. It is just too much. I have always pushed myself and now I am finding my will is not enough to keep me going. If you know of something that I have not tried please tell me. I really am running out of things to try and my money is no longer there.

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts

What type of treatments are you talking about? I have had numerous therapy treatments of all kinds. I have had MRIs, had muscle relaxers, anti imflamation meds, and offered pain killers which I will not go on. Chiros won't touch me after seeing my X Rays. I am VERY sensitive to diabetes meds among others. They cause me great added muscle pain and stiffness, plus all over pricklys (like being stuck all over by pins and needles), and and tremors sort of seisure like. I have and continue to spend a small fortune on the next hopeful relief, but only to watch my money go and my pain remain. If there is something for real out there :adore: I AM WANTING TO KNOW!!!! I am worried about staying mobile. I have went to many Doctors, I am talking many for about 12 years. I am losing the use of my arms and legs. I have at times partial sudden paralylisis. I fall down sometimes because my legs will suddenly refuse to put one leg in front of the other in the middle of my walking, and without notice!!!!. Very irritating when you are in a hurry. I just recently started telling my family that I can't do this or that because I just can not keep on struggling to do things like I have been. It is just too much. I have always pushed myself and now I am finding my will is not enough to keep me going. If you know of something that I have not tried please tell me. I really am running out of things to try and my money is no longer there.

Chiros won't see you? I am literally shaking my head, since I am so "in love" with my chiropractor(s)...A few years ago, I would have written them off as quacks, all of them. Then my wife got pregnant with our first kid, she had all those aches and pains and broke down and visited with one. Her results were so good, she encouraged me to go to treat my back injury. I am literally embarrassed that I used to be so dismissive of that practice.

Brenda, I don't know what to say, I was going to tell you to see a chiropractor...I say this a lot, that people need to see a "kooky" chiropractor, the ones that believe your entire health is flowing through your spine. My father in law sees a less kooky chiro, one that claims he'll adjust your back and you can go along on your merry way, but my FIL is never without some kind of back pain. My chiro sold me the whole kit and kaboodle about being good to my spine, etc. And I am a convert, lo and behold (and I bet I sound like a nut, too! LOL). Maybe get a second opinion?

I'm sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread...Angelic, my whole-hearted recommendation is to seek chiropractic help for your pains. Yes, meds can contribute, but until your back is in as good a shape as it can be, you'll be more likely to notice every adverse affect.

Brenda A

Brenda A

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Chiros won't see you? I am literally shaking my head, since I am so "in love" with my chiropractor(s)...A few years ago, I would have written them off as quacks, all of them. Then my wife got pregnant with our first kid, she had all those aches and pains and broke down and visited with one. Her results were so good, she encouraged me to go to treat my back injury. I am literally embarrassed that I used to be so dismissive of that practice.

Brenda, I don't know what to say, I was going to tell you to see a chiropractor...I say this a lot, that people need to see a "kooky" chiropractor, the ones that believe your entire health is flowing through your spine. My father in law sees a less kooky chiro, one that claims he'll adjust your back and you can go along on your merry way, but my FIL is never without some kind of back pain. My chiro sold me the whole kit and kaboodle about being good to my spine, etc. And I am a convert, lo and behold (and I bet I sound like a nut, too! LOL). Maybe get a second opinion?

I'm sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread...Angelic, my whole-hearted recommendation is to seek chiropractic help for your pains. Yes, meds can contribute, but until your back is in as good a shape as it can be, you'll be more likely to notice every adverse affect.

I do believe in them. My family has been many times. They work wonders with sinus, and some other things.
You see when I was 21 I suddenly started having horrible pain in my back. To make a long story short I went for a year every 2 weeks to try and get help. I was X Rayed and given pills but nothing helped. After a year I gave up and said heal yourself. I got around the best I could and was working as a nurse, the whole time. It took 2 more years to be able to get around without horrible pain. Now to the present. I went last year about corpal tunnel and the guy said I can fix your hands, but I want you to go to this neck and back guy. I had an MRI. Turns out, back then I had a broken back! numerous crushed and ruptured disc. Now arthritis moved in and spurs from the base of my skull to my tailbone. The doctors said they don't know how I stood the pain much less worked through it. What option did I have no one would do anything but hand me an RX, and say lets give it time and well see. I saw several doctors at the time. I still don't know what happened to me, I had 2 small accidents, but I don't know.
The Chiros, just did not like the way my body looked off by an inch on one side and refused to work on me. I went to 3 of them. When I take my diabetes meds (back to Angelic) they do make the pain and stiffness so much worse. I have been on this diabetic med for a year and it is the only one that I can live with. The synlin was added 6 months ago and I have started having some bad pain again. We will see. That is why I say check out the diabetes meds and be sure before suffering undo pain with them.
the right treatment really makes a diff. The diabetes stinks but everybody reacts diff to various meds. Find that perfect for you med and have as little pain and stiffness as possible.

Jazz

Jazz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi
Any remedies?

On

I started to experience pain around my right shoulder blade and started to wake up during the night with numb hands, about 3 months after being diagnosed as Type 1. (I am also on Levemir and Novorapid - I have wondered whether there it could be a side effect of Levemir perhaps? - I thought I was alone in having shoulder pain, but I have seen someone else complain of shoulder/hand problems in another thread and I think that they said that they were on Levemir - I think I will talk to my doctor about the possibility).

Anyway, I have sought the help of an oestopath, who has worked on my lower neck and shoulder area - I have had around 5 sessions of treatment now and the symptoms have eased considerably - I would definately recommend finding a good osteopath or chiropractor.
Diagnosed Type 1 November 2005 at 44 years old - Novorapid and Levemir

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I've had frozen shoulder for about 9 months. It's is a fairly common condition for diabetics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users