Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BriOnH

How do you pronounce 'Diabetes'?

How do you pronounce 'Diabetes'?   83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce 'Diabetes'?

• DiabetEs - Long E
    • Diabetus - Short e
    • Depends on situation

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 posts in this topic

Curious as to how other people say it.

I most definitely do NOT pronounce it like Wilford Brimley!! I cringe every time I see him say "die-ah-beet-US"!!

I most definitely do NOT pronounce it like Wilford Brimley!! I cringe every time I see him say "die-ah-beet-US"!!

hmm...I guess I don't "see" him say it. When I HEAR him say "diabetUS" I talk to the TV...

hmm...I guess I don't "see" him say it. When I HEAR him say "diabetUS" I talk to the TV...

LMAO - I feel the same.....Now, it may depend on the person's situation (i.e. if they have an accent, such as a New York accent, lol, they may pronounce it differently). That said, Wilford doesn't have an accent, so he has no excuse! :D

LMAO - I feel the same.....Now, it may depend on the person's situation (i.e. if they have an accent, such as a New York accent, lol, they may pronounce it differently). That said, Wilford doesn't have an accent, so he has no excuse! :D

Maybe the word is getting distorted by his mustache??

DiabeTEEEES

Whenever people say it the other way I cringe soooo much.

As a funny side note my doctor is from thailand and his accent makes it sound like he is sayin "diabebes" like its a bb gun hehe

Well I was going to say it was a California thing....short E here too. However Pam from Cape Cod just said short E too. LOL :shakehand

Maybe the word is getting distorted by his mustache??

But oh what a mustache it is!

To report from rural North Carolina: The long "e" is the generally accepted form.

long eeeeeeeeee

die ahh bee teees

the other way drives me nuts. i put diabetes in my english/spanish translator once and it does long E also.

di-uh-BEE-tees

I'm from the South (USA), and some people here call it some strange things in some weird ways. Don't know where Wilford Brimley is from, but many people in this region pronounce it the same way he does in those medical supply (Liberty?) commercials. A common name, especially with older Southerners, is sugar diabetes. (Why they specify the "sugar" I don't know -- I doubt they even know about diabetes insipidus [unrelated disease]). Many people here say it as 3 syllables: di-BEE-tees (or di-BEE-tus).

di-uh-BEE-tees

I'm from the South (USA), and some people here call it some strange things in some weird ways. Don't know where Wilford Brimley is from, but many people in this region pronounce it the same way he does in those medical supply (Liberty?) commercials. A common name, especially with older Southerners, is sugar diabetes. (Why they specify the "sugar" I don't know -- I doubt they even know about diabetes insipidus [unrelated disease]). Many people here say it as 3 syllables: di-BEE-tees (or di-BEE-tus).

Where and when I grew up, in the city where "Southern hospitality begins", it was just referred to as having "Sugar".

I pronounce it, Die-a-beat-us. Although it doesn't

sound scary or threatening when I say it. :ridinghor

di-uh-BEE-tees

A common name, especially with older Southerners, is sugar diabetes. (Why they specify the "sugar" I don't know -- I doubt they even know about diabetes insipidus [unrelated disease]).

They probably learned the "sugar" part from the Doctors from long

ago. Our Family Dctor way back then told my Mom that we had "sugar

diabetes". Not to be confused(who would, very uncommon)with (salt or

water)Diabetes Insipidus.

I remember when I went to Camp Banting, there was 1 Girl camper who

had Salt Diabetes(Insipidus). Geez, I remember her clear as a bell. Weird.

She had beautiful long black hair, cute, chubby, Canadian-Aboriginal. She

had this big lump on her tummy(the size of a softball)that was raw-looking.

I forget what she said it was. I was only aged 8 at the time. Now I'm wondering

why she was at Camp instead of a hospital. :rolleyes: I hope she's still okay. :)

I tried saying it both those ways and I just sound like a crazy ausie.

I don't think I pronounce it like either... kinda more like diabetiss lol

How I have had this converstion with a freind in the past!

My mom says "diabet-US."

My friend says "diabet-EEZE."

I say "diabet-ISZ."

:hello: OH MY GOD -- I cannot BELIEVE someone else made the Quaker Oats Wilford Brimley comment..

I said the SAME THING about 5 months ago on this forum - same question!!

Long E.

To tell the truth, I hate the sound of the word no matter how it is said. This was true long before I was ever diagnosed. Just a person idosyncracy.

I hear many people in my city just say "sugar." "I've got sugar." "My cousin has sugar." "How's your sugar?" "My doctor says I should be tested for sugar." This grates on me even more than any pronunciation of diabetes.