Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jan100

Peak Blood Sugar Levels

5 posts in this topic

I am borderline prediabetic ---- fasting blood sugar has been in the 97 range or so the last couple blood tests.

I've begun to monitor via a meter and had a question in regards to what my peak blood sugar level should be after eating. (ie....for a non-diabetic how high does the blood sugar rise after eating a meal). Generally my peak numbers seem to be 140 - 150 approximately 1 hour after eating.....is this "normal" or also a sign of coming prediabetes/diabetes?

Your after meal readings should be below 180, preferably under 140 tho. And should be done at TWO hours after first bite of your meal. ;)

The 180 and 140 recommendations are for diagnosed diabetics. I don't think a non-diabetic should see such high levels, probably ever. When I have tested non-diabetic family members I have never even found a reading higher than 96 even an hour after eating meal with a sugared soda pop, or a box of licorice candy.

As a type 2 diabetic for 14 years, my goal is to be back under 90 within two hours after eating.

Slipperyelm

Are you on tabs to control you blood sugars? I ask because what ever I have ate the day before my starving blood sugar is raised to 115. Whilst I am active during the day it is fine.

Any suggestions?

Petunia