Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimfly

Metformin vs. Amaryl

18 posts in this topic

I am taking Metformin and Amaryl.

I heard that Metformin was only to be taken at night as it deals mainly with kidneys. Is this true?

Can the two be taken together?

i dont know anything about Amaryl at all (infact ive not heard of it) but i take metformin...

i take it 3 times a day, breakfast, dinner and evening meal... ive never heard of taking it at night, infact i was told to always take it with food... but im no expert so i dunno!

I take metformin twice a day, breakfast and evening meal. I was told to take it with meals it also says on the packet it comes in, Take this medicine with or after food. I have never heard of it to be taken at night.

Same here, I dont take Amaryl and have never heard of it. So I dont know if they can be taken together.

Dear kimfly

I think metformin can also be taken twice a day. There is some good information is available on this page. There is a link about the middle of the page which reads More details on diabetic drugs. This link contains information about diabetic drugs. Hope this will help

http://www.medicineworld.org/medicine/endocrinology/type2diabetes.html

Regards,

Betsy

Hey Kimfly, For the last two months, I've taken metformin and Amaryl together, metformin at breakfast and dinner, Amaryl at breakfast. I've had no problems or side effects taking both at the same time.

Kimfly, I've taken Metformin and Amaryl since Feb.2004 together,

Metformin 500mg and Amaryl 1mg at breakfast and Metformin 500mg at dinner, I have had no problems or side effects taking both at the

same time.

Steve

New Jersey

I take Avandamet, (which contains 1000mg of Metformin and 4mg of Avandia) and Amaryl 1mg after breakfast and again after dinner. I've had no side effects from the combination of the two. Doctor just said to take them after eating a meal.

Timeless

I take 4mg Amaryl 2x a day. Was just taken off glucophage due to high creatinine and uric acid levels, screwing up my kidneys.

Just on Amaryl, only problem is that too much amaryl can lead to low sugar levels. I find my levels are up and down alot more, but I cant handle the glucophage (killed my stomach too).

Amaryl forces your pancreas to produce more insulin, which can over time make your pancreas fail sooner. A safer alternative would be Actos along with Metformin along with dietary and excersise changes. You might discuss this with your doctor and get their opinion as each individual is different.

Metformin is sometimes prescribed only at night due to it's effect on the liver. During the night your liver will release glucose to keep your body functioning. But in a diabetic, the effect of that glucose release cannot be controlled due to decreased pancreatic funtioning. Therefore it will help keep down fasting levels when taken at night.

I am taking metformin 500mg only once at breakfast. But my sugar levels are highest at fasting and goes down during the day. Can I start taking the metformin at dinner instead of breakfast?

HbA1c 6.52%

I am taking Metformin and Amaryl.

I heard that Metformin was only to be taken at night as it deals mainly with kidneys. Is this true?

Can the two be taken together?

Metformin can be taken at anytime during the day and works by supressing the release of glucose by the liver, thus it can be initially prescribed to be taken at night to prevent the liver dump of glucose during the night during the fast and thus lowering the morning/fasting blood sugar... Amaryl works by making the pancreas put out more insulin (if the pancreas will still respond). They can be taken together...

i take met twice a day, before i eat breakfast, typically around 6am and then before i go to bed, typically around 9pm, but i find if i eat a small snack around 8pm, my fasting bg is better

I take a 500mg Metformin at lunch and at dinner.

I take 2mg Amaryl at bedtime. I've had great readings with this program and morning #'s of 100-115.

I take 1000mg of Metformin ER with a meal both morning and evening along with my insulin injections. I usually have a small snack about 10 p.m. Morning fasting generally ranges between 70-85 for me as long as I wake at my usual time of 6 a.m., else I'm between 100-110.

a hippy is walking down the street one fine summers day when he trips over a magic lamp.

he picks himself up off the floor and gives the lamp a rub.

out pops a genie and says

"master you have freed me, i will grant you three wishes, El Nino cannabis seeds what does your heart desire?"

the hippy says

"i wish for world peace"

"so it is done" says the genie, "what is you next wish, wise master?"

"i wish for an everlasting joint, one that will never burn down, no matter how hard i toke on it, made from the finest grass"

"so it is done" the genie replies, and whips a joint out from behind his ear, hands it to the hippy.

the hippy lights up and tokes Huron (Niagara X White Widow) cannabis seeds away....hours pass, hours turn into days.

the hippy is totally wasted and the joint is still burning.

"wow" says the hippy, this is like, sooo coool, i can keep this like, forever and ever and ill always be able to get high, man im wasted"

"and for your final wish, wise master?" asks the genie

"dude give me another one of those everlasting joints!"