Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slipperyelm

Pineapple

10 posts in this topic

I am generally a low carber, but this morning I ate fresh pineapple. I had nothing but that and my usual tea because I figured I had put myself over my carbohydrate limit. However, I was surprised to find my blood sugar dropped to 76, It had been 89 before the breakfast pineapple. I was not active; I only did paperwork after eating the pineapple.

Is pineapple low on the glycemic index? I wouldn't expect so. Maybe this was just one of those inexplicable things that would never happen again when I eat pineapple.

Glycemic Index for: Pineapple

Food: Pineapple

Glycemic Index: 59

Glycemic Index Rating: Medium

Glad to know it didn't affect your blood sugar negatively. Haven't had any pineapple since diagnosis...may have to try it.

Yeah, 59, I looked it up after posting. But I will just say, Oh my gosh, it was the best pineapple I have had in my life! Even the core was edible and delicious. I know that because I was extracting the core to use in a home treatment for hayfever that my husband's Chinese colleagues recommend. (Just boil the core in water and bottle the liquid, then sip from it all day.) I cut up the core and tasted some in addition to all the decadent part I ate. :-

But this pineapple also had some powerful proteolytic enzmes. My tongue and corners of my mouth are still irritated. Did you know pineapple field workers may have no fingerprints due to the enzymes (I think bromelain/papayin) breaking down the skin on their hands? I learned that on an episode of Hawaii 5-0 when I was a kid.:D

So while we are on the topic, what other sweet fruits give you no to only a small rise in BG?

I can eat a small pear or a green apple with no problems..also cantaloupe doesn't do much either, though i've heard others have problems with it. I'm not big on berries, so I can't help you there (though in my past life, I did love me some strawberry short cake;) )

I love pineapple but I have to limit my intake of it to a few small pieces........it's the same with cantelope and watermelon. I can eat 1/2 an apple or 1/2 a pear with no problems.

That's interesting. For me, pineapple sends my BG through the roof! Evenjust one little piece and I skyrocket. Of course I still eat it anyways :)

i can eat pineapples, love them, but when i was a kid i was allergic....

pineapples have no affect my sugars... at least not negatively

i eat canned pineapples all the time, never had one fresh tho... dont know how id react to a fresh one lol

A new discovery for me "canned peaches" without sugar. One half of the can does not bother my BS at all, and it is so good. I think even better than a fresh peach as it is so hard to eat one at the exact right minute. :) But no pineapple, it does raise BS. :(

So while we are on the topic, what other sweet fruits give you no to only a small rise in BG?

watermelon, berries and "hard" fruits that aren't too ripe yet like pears, mangoes, nectarines or peaches