Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jan2306

How long after expire do you use insulin?

9 posts in this topic

How long after the expire date do you think insulin - Lantus in particular - is still effective?

I'm going on vacation and need to bring back up insulin in case my pump fails. I have lots of leftover Lantus with an expire date of 4/07. It's been refrigerated the whole time. What do you think? Safe to use if needed?

How long after expire do you use insulin?

How long after the expire date do you think insulin - Lantus in particular - is still effective?

Try it and see if the lantus will work but if not then distroy it and get a fresh lot.

It is probably safe to use.

I'd also say that to be safe and for complete ease of mind, get an RX from the doctor and get a fresh vial.

I've used Humalog 6 months after and NPH 9 months after the expiration date and it still worked but I've not tried it with Lantus yet. Sorry I can be of no help.

It should be fine, if anything it will not work as well (as opposed to not at all) If you are vacationing in your state--you should carry a Rx from your doc. If you are leaving the state, you may want to get a new vial. I've never had a problem with expired stuff, but it rarely gets to that point as I use it so fast.

My first endo was a MD/PhD and he talked to me a bit about his research lab work because I was currently working my way towards a PhD in microbiology. He said that they use expired insulin in his lab well past the expiration date and that it retains it's activity (as long as it is stored properly). Of course the lab is not real life, and the safest thing to do would be to get a new vial. Your doctor may even have a sample vial he could give you.