Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gabby123

V8 juice

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if drinking a v8 juice daily really accounts for the vegetable servings? I know to watch the sodium but since I don't always eat enough vegetables this would help take care of it.

Guess this is something I should try....I always figured it would taste like "cold soup" which sounds yucky to me!

I would think that it being tomato juice and other juices, that it would rise your BS a bit. I don't like it so never and will never be able to test that theory. Anybody game?

10g carb in 8oz. It should be BG friendly.

I prefer tomato juice with some worcestershire and tabasco.

And of course some Vodka. :D

Maybe V8 works as a substitute for fresh veggies - maybe there's no such thing as a good substitute for fresh fruits and veggies, I don't know...

V8 is probably not unhealthy so if you like it - go ahead.

There is another product that I know of that claims to give you a lot of what you would get form fresh fruits and veggies - wheatgrass juice is packed with phytochemicals.

Click here for a chart that shows a comparison of wheatgrass to actual veggies.

I would think the only thing missing with juice instead of actual veges would be the fiber maybe? Could taking fiber tabs fix that?I do eat veges just not enough to have 5 servings aday.

I would think the only thing missing with juice instead of actual veges would be the fiber maybe? Could taking fiber tabs fix that?I do eat veges just not enough to have 5 servings aday.

Dr. Andrew Weil contradicts this notion in many of his works, not least "Taking Care Of Yourself" where he specifically cautions against the kind of "reductionist - tomato in a pill" type of claim we are talking about here.

I don't know what they do to V8 exactly but basically, if it goes through a machine or two... it's less good than it was. If they pasteurize it, which is probably a good idea - say goodbye to most of the goodness. That's the idea I get anyway.

I use V-8 juice as a base for a great gazpacho. I chop cukes, tomatoes, peppers and such into it, a a few spices and keep it in the fridge. Makes a great snack or even a small meal, served with a slice of toast. Disappears fast in our house when it's hot outside!

I prefer this over straight V-8 because of the fiber content.

My drink of choice...The vodka seems to wipe out any effect from the tomato juice.

My husband decided this recipe would cure my cough...he made a drink and told me to "down it". It cured my cough for about an hour, I could barely breathe or swallow anything! :) I am not much of a drinker, so he enjoyed it much more than I did.

Love V8! With lots of pepper in it. I cook with it too. But I wouldn't count a glass of V8 as a vegetable portion. I wouldn't count a glass of orange juice as a portion of fruit either. Because you just don't get the fiber with juices. But that's just me saying this.

I find tomato juice too acid.

I drink a full can of spicey hot V-8 every morning. I make chili with it and also bloody mary's. Gotta watch the sodium but I think the vitamins and minerals one gets is worth it. Before being diagnosed was a pretty big drinker. Doc told me to have a v-8 every day to replace stuff that was lost. Been doing it for years! Wow, I coulda had a V-8:)

R