Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arzoo

Sugar Free Jello

43 posts in this topic

I haven't had gelatin for a long time and I've seen a lot of sugar free jell-o. Does s/f jello-o increase bg?

And am I correct that the one we are speaking of is the Jell-o brand or are there others?

Also which of flavors of the s/f jell-o works, or do all work ok?

While we're at the dessert topic, which s/f ice cream works the best for bg?

Btw, one last thing I see a lot of sugar free products that have maltodextrin in the ingredients. I read somewhere that maltodextrin has high glycemic index, so do these increase bg?

Thanks

Hi Arzoo,

Carbs are more important than the word sugar-free. SF jello I believe has 0 or 1 carb and about 0 or 1 calorie -- it's very safe! Brand doesn't matter; labels do. SF pudding has carbs, then more carbs when you add milk (who wouldn't?). Pay close attention to the pudding label -- before and after preparing. When it comes to ice cream, cookies, etc. it's critical to look at the amount of carbs in each serving (and of course pay close attention to serving size), because the words sugar-free have very little meaning . . . and in my opinion are very deceptive for us diabetics. I take insulin for carbs, not "sugar". You, being a type 2, would need to test 2 hours after eating different foods to see how they affect your bg.

I noticed some (Voortman I believe) wafer cookies that say sugar-free and cost twice what the "regular" cookies cost. The SF had 15 carbs and the "regular" had 17 carbs. That stuff makes me want to scream!!

There is carb-control ice cream which has almost no carbs, but added fat. You would do well to become a serial label reader!

Any flavor of sugar free jello will be fine.

For icecream, in reasonable amounts, that Edys No Sugar Added works good for me and tastes great!

Ever wonder why they never came up with chocolate flavored gelatin? Aside from how weird it might look, I'd guess it would be a winner.

Hmm, where's that online suggestion box?

Mike

Arzoo,

I love the sugar free jello, any brand. Usually it has about

10 calories per serving. The only real difference I can see

between brands is the sodium. It can vary quite a bit.

Jim

I've had no problems with s/f jello...I do think some flavors have less after taste than others...I perfer lime and cherry myself.

As for ice cream, I eat the s/f fudgsicles and popsicles as well as the Breyer's Carb Smart.

A note on Sugar-Free vs Regular cookies, chocolate, etc.

It does make you want to yell when you see that there are nearly the same carbs in sugar-free things and regular things but here is the difference:

For some people (me included) the sugar-free things, depending on what they are sweetened with, don't cause a huge jump in my blood sugar. They seem to be absorbed more slowly, allowing me better control using a square-wave bolus. In pre pump days I could inject a small dose twice or three times to cover it and never go over 150.

The exception? Jan was right...White flour in the mix messes me up anyway. It works for pudding and chocolate though.

Sooo, sugar-free does serve a purpose for me, anyway.

Ever wonder why they never came up with chocolate flavored gelatin? Aside from how weird it might look, I'd guess it would be a winner.

Hmm, where's that online suggestion box?

Mike

They probably did at some point. The Jell-O Museum and Gallery has a bunch of boxes and ads for flavors that didn't make it. Delicious things like celery Jell-O and pork Jell-O.

Yum!

-Jade

We enjoy sugar free chocolate pudding and when I make it with the Calorie Countdown beverage it doesn't raise my bg at all.

We used SF gelatin even before my diagnosis. Everyone is my family likes it. For change of pace I sub diet lemon-lime cola for the cold water. It foams a bit when you mix it, but is a refreshing change after it sets.

Jell-O also makes sugar-free pudding in pre-packaged portions, 6 oz. Each container has 60 calories and 14 g of carbs. I do not know how I would have survived the past couple of months without it!!:T

And Publix grocery store has a store brand of prepackaged sugar-free gelatin in cherry and black cherry flavors that is really, really tasty.

Walmart has a large package of the geatin cup much cheaper than the Jello cups. I like it because it has 4 varieties, I prefer the Banana/Strawberry and the black cherry. When I really want icecream, I just have the regular kind......I cannot see enough difference in the carbs to spend the extra money for sugarfree. I do not have it often, only when my numbers have been really good, so I choose something I really like.

I love the Jello-O sugar free jello, I couldn't get by without it!

Also Linda gave me a great tip, mix s/f miracle whip with s/f pudding and freeze it...instant fudgesicles! Really yummy and staves off cravings. They never affect my BG's :)

Also Linda gave me a great tip, mix s/f miracle whip with s/f pudding and freeze it...instant fudgesicles! Really yummy and staves off cravings. They never affect my BG's :)

Around here, "Miracle Whip" is like mayonnaise....I suggested you mix "Kool-Whip" with it. Miracle whip and jello pudding....makes me shudder just thinking about it!:eek: :T

The dietitian at the hospital told me I could eat sugar free Jello "until the cows come home". I absolutely love the stuff. It is my favorite sweet(tasting) fix.

Around here, "Miracle Whip" is like mayonnaise....I suggested you mix "Kool-Whip" with it. Miracle whip and jello pudding....makes me shudder just thinking about it!:eek: :T

Oh gosh, Linda, just the thought of that makes me feel ill! :eek: I DID mean Kool Whip :D

I do hope nobody actaully followed my reccomendation!:eek:

I blend cream cheese with sf jello (or sf store brand) and eat it every single night! Mix cream cheese with the hot cup of water (and powdered mix) w/a whisk, then melt in a cup of ice cubes (until it's about to gel.) Then when chilled, I add a little liquid whipping cream to the top, stir it in some, and enjoy my delicious treat - no insulin needed.

Sugar free Pudding is great and if you use whipping cream (0 carbs) to make it it is extra creamy and tastes like a million carbs, even thoug it isnt.

My husband had a DELICIOUS idea that tastes awesome!!! He added Diet Dr Pepper to the sugar free black cherry jello and it was SOOOOOOOOO yummy! I just has to share that....

Next up? Explorations in diet Root Beer. :D

I'm a big fan of Breyer's Carb Smart Icecream. Some folks here have reported being gassy after eating it, so you'll have to see how it works for you. I don't have any problems with it at all. I love the taste.

I haven't had gelatin for a long time and I've seen a lot of sugar free jell-o. Does s/f jello-o increase bg?

A

Thanks

Most sugar free products increase my BG, SF jello is one of the ones that does not bother me. :D

You guys have some inventive minds:) Gotta try some of your ideas.

I use plain gelatin and mix my own with crystal light or torani syrups...maybe making it with something fizzy would be a nice change. I do this because I can only find one of the packaged kinds without modified food starch and/or maltodextrin. Same with the puddings:(

I am taking a sugar free pistachio desert to my dinlaw's b'day party today. When I read the ingredients on Cool Whip, I decided to make it with real cream. I won't have any, it has pineapple, but dh said it was really good.

3 pkg. s.f. pistachio instant pudding

2 cans crushed pineapple (with juice)

8 -12oz. Cool Whip (or whipping cream-whipped)*

chopped walnuts

*I didn't put any sweetner in the whipped cream as the pudding had a sweetner.

As far as regular gelatin in the cups, there is a lot of sugar, so when in a pinch, I will buy the "off brand" sugar free at Smart n Final.

K