Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueSky

Type 1 daily insulin units/Kg

How many insulin units per KG of body weight do you use every day?   75 members have voted

1. 1. How many insulin units per KG of body weight do you use every day?

• < 0.25 units/Kg
    • 0.26 - 0.50 units/Kg
    • 0.51 - 0.75 units/Kg
    • 0.76 - 1.00 units/Kg
    • 1.01 - 1.25 units/Kg
    • 1.26 - 1.50 units/Kg
    • > 1.50 units/Kg

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 posts in this topic

There have been some threads about insulin requirements and it would be interesting to graph this information. It would also help if weight is removed as a variable. So divide your total daily dose by your weight in Kilograms (Pounds divided by 2.2) to work out your number.

I am interested in seeing what the spread for Type 1 members is. Some of the variation will; be caused by things like level of carbohydrate consumption and whether MDI or pumping is used. But it will interesting to see what the distribution looks like .... ;)

.36 units per kg

(TDD = 20/ 56kg)

Average of about 40 carbs per day

I put the .76 - 1.00 range, but I'm very close to the bottom number. Many days I do get under, but mostly I'm around .80

I put the .76 - 1.00 range, but I'm very close to the bottom number. Many days I do get under, but mostly I'm around .80

About the same. Some days is lower, others higher. Calc I did came out to .78

.36 units per kg

(TDD = 20/ 56kg)

Average of about 40 carbs per day

Jan, my insulin:kg ratio pretty much matches yours (20/55) - however I have more carbs than you do per day - 90 - 110 g per day. My basal must be lower as that is the only way this can occur - how do you manage to eat so few carbs and am I eating too many?

Anne,

Let me know if this makes sense. My current basals are:

12a - .6

5a - .65

6:30a - .7

9a - .65

2p - .6

I take 1 unit for 16 cho & correction is 1 unit to lower 54

I went from extreme low fat to low carb (got bit by Bernstein!). Went from oatmeal for breakfast to omelets. I don't eat bread or any starchy vegetables anymore. I eat lots of spinach salads, flax muffins, and nuts. About the only carbs I eat are in peanut butter, sf jelly, green vegetables and fruit. I used to never eat meat . . . now I eat lots of turkey and fish.

If anyone thinks I'm crazy, it's fine to let me know. I can go a little overboard sometimes!!

Anne,

Let me know if this makes sense. My current basals are:

12a - .6

5a - .65

6:30a - .7

9a - .65

2p - .6

I take 1 unit for 16 cho & correction is 1 unit to lower 54

I went from extreme low fat to low carb (got bit by Bernstein!). Went from oatmeal for breakfast to omelets. I don't eat bread or any starchy vegetables anymore. I eat lots of spinach salads, flax muffins, and nuts. About the only carbs I eat are in peanut butter, sf jelly, green vegetables and fruit. I used to never eat meat . . . now I eat lots of turkey and fish.

OK yes that does make sense - at the moment my basals are:

12a.m. - .35

5 a.m. - .4

7 a.m. - .45

10 a.m. - .4

12 p.m. - .35

7 p.m. - .4

8 p.m. - .5

1 unit for 10g CHO; correction: 1 unit to 60

My eating habits have been becoming healthier with age :) and I too eat turkey and fish, as well as chicken for the most part. I am a big fan of salad and nuts. I guess my need for a bit of toast (1/2 a slice) in the morning, some yogurt at lunch and then my baked yam at night are where I overtake you carb wise. Those items alone account for ~60 g CHO - the difference between us I believe.

Thanks for the info, Jan - it is good to compare notes.

mine is the same as yours holly!:cool:

Is it something about 1.5. I weigh 63kg TDD 27 so very similar

(.43 per kg)

.55 or so.

Weight is 66kg

I am pumping about 36 units a day on average.

I consume about 175 to 200 carbs/day

84 kg (maybe a little less now)

300 +/- 20% grams of CHO per day (1:15 I:C ratio)

33 U basal

Typically low-50s U/day leaves me around 0.65 U/kg TDD.

I am interested in seeing what the spread for Type 1 members is.

I'd like to see TDD/mass correlated with c-peptide levels and I:C ratios.

200 pounds = 91kg. Latest 31 day avg. = 59 units.

59/91=0.65units/kg.

32 units is basal, leaving about 27 units for CHO/Correction...

That poll has been an interesting exercise. Finding a "normal" insulin sensitivity reference point was not easy. The best I could find is John Walsh's suggestion that weight in pounds divided by 4 approximates the insulin need for someone with normal insulin sensitivity.

For those with Type I diabetes, insulin sensitivity can be estimated by filling in the blanks below:

1. Your weight (lbs.) / 4 =_____ units

2. Your total daily insulin dose (all insulins) =_____ units

The answer from line 1, (weight divided by 4) gives your estimated need for insulin. If your actual insulin dose on line 2 is close to this number, and you have good control, you have a normal sensitivity to insulin.

If line 2 is less than line 1 (and your control is good), you have excellent insulin sensitivity.

If line 2 is much greater than line 1, your insulin sensitivity may be lower or you may be on too much insulin.

Insulin Sensitivity

This equates to 0.55 units/Kg for a person weighing 150 lbs. As a group, we appear to have pretty normal insulin sensitivity, according to this definition of normal.

Thanks for your responses ;)

1. Your weight (141 lbs.) / 4 = 35.25 units

2. Your total daily insulin dose (all insulins) = 18 units

Surely Insulin resistance/sensitivity isn’t the only factor, beta cell productivity comes into play as well. It’s an interesting formula I wonder if once my beta cells finally give up the ghost my TDD will go up to the expected 35units or close to.

This calculation only applies to people with no residual beta cell function. There are other noise factors too, like level of carbohydrate consumption, insulin delivery method, age, hormonal activity etc. This is why there is variation around the norm. When your beta cells finally pack up, yes, you can expect to see an increase in exogenous insulin requirements towards this benchmark. But if you stay in shape and get lots of exercise, you should continue to be relatively insulin sensitive. My number works out to 0.47 units/Kg, but I have been T1 for 30 years and my beta cells are completely dead .... :(