Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debbie Sue

Is Crystal Light a safe drink?

28 posts in this topic

I really like the flavors of this drink, but not real sure if it's safe to drink. I posted the ingredients below. Could someone tell me if it contains any sweeteners that would raise BS?

Ingredients: CITRIC ACID (PROVIDES TARTNESS), CALCIUM CITRATE, MALTODEXTRIN, MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME (SWEETENER), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), MAGNESIUM OXIDE (PREVENTS CAKING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, YELLOW 5, RED 40, BLUE 1.

I drink several Crystal Light and other generic sugar free water add-ins daily without problem. Have for many years now.

Definately a no no for me. It has more than five ingredients, comes in a sealed package, has unpronounceable ingredients, and contains aspartame - a nasty. It's not food.

It will/should not affect your BGs.

I drink it all the time - its the closets to "purple drink" I can get without drinking the real deal.

Walmart brand has an apple flavored drink that tasts very close to real apple juice. I have it with my b/fast many mornings...just like I used to do with regular apple juice. Its my favorite add-in so far.

Walmart brand has an apple flavored drink that tasts very close to real apple juice. I have it with my b/fast many mornings...just like I used to do with regular apple juice. Its my favorite add-in so far.

I can back Linda up on that!!! Ever since she recommended them, I have been buying 3 boxes every week!! They are the best thats out there. :)

Goodness, I hope so.

One of the prioblems of being a diabetic is sometimes when you need a sweet fix, anything that is "free" is also what John calls NOT FOOD.

I prefer to just not go overboard, but use them anyway. However, Crystal Light Peach Tea is one of my favorites and I have used all of their products for years without apparent harm.

I've been using artificially sweetened things for a long time. Ask me in another 49 years and I'll tell you if they had any bad effect.:)

Mich

I would drink it in MODERATION. Anything with Aspertame gives me a headache. I used to drink a hot apple cider with aspertame. If you heat it, it really gives me a whopper headache.

If you have no problems, I would drink it occassionally. I would not use it as a replacement for water which is the best drink for you of all.

I buy the "On The Go's" and add them to bottled water, especially during the hot Summer months.

Karen

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I have been reading, Dr. Bernstein, about hidden sweeteners in some of my favorite products that raise BS. Splenda and SF Jell-O, in powdered forms, have those hidden sweeteners. I am going to replace the packets with the tablets and the boxed Jell-O with premade SF type from the store. I tested the Jell-O theory and my BS went from 156 to 165 in 2 hours! Wow!!!

A 9 point rise 2 hrs after eating is not bad at all, though both numbers are certainly higher than you'd want them to be.

Before you make a lot of decisions, step back and give your blood sugars time to normalize on your medications. I take the pre-made Jello brand s/f jello to work and make the s/f boxed jello at home and haven't noticed a different, though YMMV.

Does the bottle have a nutrition label? You need to learn how to read those. Yes the ingredients are important for evaluating if it is "real food" but if you are counting carbs you really need to learn how to read the nutrition label. Many stores here have on-staff dietitians who will give you a free tour of the store and help you get started with label reading.

If it is not on the product you can usually find it on-line. For example: Calories in Kraft Foods, Inc. - Crystal Light Sugar Free Low Calorie Iced Tea Mix,...

Oh yes there's nutrition labels... tiny print too. I used to have no problem reading them until lately. My DH is having to read these for me now since my sight is blurry. Going to have to buy a magnifying glass for the trips to the store.

Thats not a drink its a laboratory experiment. Sorry I agree with John. I wouldn't drink it but it shouldn't affect your BS.

I was going to suggest a flavoured water but to checked out the ingredients first. It meant interesting reading because I checked out a similar drink from the same producer in France and the US.

The French version has only water and fruit (lemon, raspberry or grapefruit (presumably a tiny amount since it has less than 1 carb )

Volvic lemon in the US has water, sugar, citric acid, natural flavour, natural lemon flavour, potassium benzoate (though not much sugar as it still comes in at 1 carb for 240ml).

Its still a bit chemical but not as many as the crystal light.I have a feeling it will cost a lot more than here.

Alternatively you could just add a squeeze of lemon or other fruit juice to some water with a bit of splenda if you need the sweetness.

I drink just plain water, or water with taste in. The taste stuff is called Fun Light here and comes in many different flavours. It's decent enough, but I do prefer just water most of the time, and for soda COKE ZERO :D

I drink the crystal light. Some think the artificial sweeteners are bad for you, moderation is ok. What I do tho is drink it in weak form. I buy it in the bulk form and add a half teaspoon to my water bottle. I probably drink a half gallon of the stuff every day. It has not caused me any problem.

The stealth sweeteners that Dr. B discusses are things like the maltodextrin that is put into splenda packets. This is carb. Turns out, if you have less than a gram, you can consider it zero in the nutrient label. A packet of sweetener is so small that you are allowed to list everything as zero.

I mainly drink ice water, but an occasional Crystal Light is such a refreshing change. I like Splenda in packet form too, but one packet is almost too 'sweet' for me.

Definately a no no for me. It has more than five ingredients, comes in a sealed package, has unpronounceable ingredients, and contains aspartame - a nasty. It's not food.

Any thing you eat or drink (with a few exceptions like absolutely pure water) has more than five ingredients that have chemical names. What do you think is in an apple? How many different chemicals -- just because something was "naturally" produced does not meant it's not a chemical--would a strawberry have?

Yeah that aspartame is baddddd

Any thing you eat or drink (with a few exceptions like absolutely pure water) has more than five ingredients that have chemical names. What do you think is in an apple? How many different chemicals -- just because something was "naturally" produced does not meant it's not a chemical--would a strawberry have?
I think there is a real distinction between something that is naturally grown, that people have been eating for many hundreds of thousands of years, as opposed to built from man-made chemicals in a factory :eek:

Serving size: 1 cup fresh strawberries (166 grams)

Calories 50-55

Protein 1 gram

Carbohydrates 11.65 grams

Dietary Fiber 3.81 grams

Calcium 23.24 mg

Iron 0.63 mg

Magnesium 16.60 mg

Phosporus 31.54 mg

Potassium 44.82 mg

Selenium 1.16 mg

Vitamin C 94.12 mg

Folate 29.38 mcg

Vitamin A 44.82 IU

As an example: would you (and your body) rather get Calcium from eating a Strawberry or a stick of board-chalk? Or get your Iron from eating nails?

I used to be very anti-aspartame, then I was diagnosed as having Type 1 diabetes. It's amazing how your attitude can change when you have no choice.

I still prefer not to use products with aspartame, but sometimes, there is no choice. I won't use sugared products unless there is no alternative.

Having said that, the only caution I can give with Crystal Light and other drinks similar to it, is that some are high in acetic acid, which over time can cause damage to the enamel of teeth. Make sure to practice good dental hygene and you should be fine.

Some people are very sensitive to aspartame. Some are sensitive to Splenda. Some are sensitive to sugar itself. YMMW (Your Mileage May Vary). While there is certainly evidence that some of these sweeteners could cause side effects, they certainly pale in comparison to the side effects that most medicines carry, and we don't think twice about taking those.

That reminds me... I once thought Crystal Light was nasty. Now that I'm used to drinking artificially sweetened drinks, I bet I'd enjoy them now. :) I'll have to pick some up.

Regards,

It will/should not affect your BGs.

And that's the only benefit. :(

Goodness, I hope so.

One of the problems of being a diabetic is sometimes when you need a sweet fix, anything that is "free" is also what John calls NOT FOOD.

And this is whare I find that we do not exercise as we are all guilty of that, And that includes me :(

These so called engineered foods are like to what John has said "Not food".

I would drink it in MODERATION. Anything with Aspertame gives me a headache. I used to drink a hot apple cider with aspertame. If you heat it, it really gives me a whopper headache.

If you have no problems, I would drink it occassionally. I would not use it as a replacement for water which is the best drink for you of all.

Well said Nancy!!! As we should look at food as a resource for energy. I would look at the real stuff with the real apple juice and brewed naturally and exercise!!! :D

I am addicted to the Walmart brand of this stuff. I prefer it because it has different flavors (which I love) than Crystal Lite. I drink like half a gallon of it a day... My favorite flavors are grape, peach tea, apple, cherry, strawberry, and fruit punch.

Also, the cranberry goes great with Vodka (okay, Jill... just what will you not drink with vodka?)

Also, the cranberry goes great with Vodka (okay, Jill... just what will you not drink with vodka?)

Tomatos, A Bloody Mary. :D