Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debbie Sue

Fingernail health

9 posts in this topic

Since changing my life around for the better, health wise, my fingernails have become clear and rock hard. I used to have ridges, brittleness and discoloration. Now they are clear, strong and hard. Maybe it's the vitamins, healthier foods, Metformin, lowering my bs, or all of it combined. All I know is I'm seeing more good changes and I'm down to a size 14 from a 22 from the beginning of this year. :)

Not sure how my nails would be...can't keep them out of my mouth long enough for them to grow...Horrible habit nailbiting!:eek:

Congrats on your weight loss (and your great nails!)!!! Its good when you work hard and see results. Gives you motivation to keep going. :flowers:

Not sure how my nails would be...can't keep them out of my mouth long enough for them to grow...Horrible habit nailbiting!:eek:

Princess Linda...I'm a big nailbiter and have found I have to keep a pair of nail clippers around at all times. If I start to chew one..I'll chew all...ending up with bloody cuticles, etc.

So, at the first bite now, I cut them all off..so I have nothing to chew on..and don't end up with very painful fingers. I've also found that if I get a manicure with color I don't chew them. I always have them file them as short as possible before polishing them.

Don't know if this helps.. :)

Elizabeth

All I know is I'm seeing more good changes and I'm down to a size 14 from a 22 from the beginning of this year. :)

Congrats Debbie Sue! I have lost 4lbs so far, only starting with a 10% goal, but ultimately hope to get back to about 180..I'm at 258 now and wearing a 26/28, so I'll be happy when I get to your old size.. :)

Elizabeth

Hey, I'm a chronic nail biter from sway back! It's just that my nails are too hard and hurt my teeth so I stopped nibbling. I use buffing boards and nail strengthener to keep them nice looking.

Keep up the good work Elizabeth! You'll get to your goal!

my GP told me that ridges running up and down the length of the nail indicated a zinc deficiency

my nails also used to 'peel' off in layers, i forget what he said about that

when i was pregnant, on Materna vitamins, i had the STRONGEST and best looking nails i have had in my life......... 3 months after i stopped the maternity vitamins............ well, i don't have ridges and i'm no longer 'peeling', but my nails can break so easily

i now ensure i clip my nails weekly to avoid breaking them, or having them tear off, back into the nail bed on the finger!

oh, as for acrylic nails............. be VERY careful you don't get a fungal infection between the acrylic nail and your real nail...... ALWAYS use rubber gloves to wash dishes with, or for anything else that is going to leave your hands in water for extended periods of time

i told the manicurist i wanted my acrylic nails taken off........ she sold me a $16 eensy bottle of nail strengthener to help my nails grow back healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes!

I also have my own natural nails. I tried artificial nails but felt claustrophobic every time I put them on. I know, silly me! lol! I use Nutra Nail from WalMart plus a product called Yellow Stopper. They are the strongest ever now. :)

Princess Linda...I'm a big nailbiter and have found I have to keep a pair of nail clippers around at all times. If I start to chew one..I'll chew all...ending up with bloody cuticles, etc.

So, at the first bite now, I cut them all off..so I have nothing to chew on..and don't end up with very painful fingers. I've also found that if I get a manicure with color I don't chew them. I always have them file them as short as possible before polishing them.

Don't know if this helps.. :)

Elizabeth

Thanks for the suggestions Elizabeth....terrible habit i've had for as long as I can remember.:( I have a cruise coming up in Dec....maybe I can have pretty nails by that time if I start now.