Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

minah009

carbs in just the skin of a baked potato

12 posts in this topic

Tonight my hubby wanted a steak and baked potato for supper. I decided not to eat the flesh of the potato and only eat the skin. At the most there was a 1/8 "rim" of potato on the skin. I went online to see if this was a good decision and I am getting mixed messages. Some info is saying that the skin is mostly carbs and other places say that the skin has fewer carbs than the whole potato plus lots of fiber. I just tested and my blood sugar was 122 so I know eating the potato skin with supper didn't spike me but as for the carb count I am thoroughly confused. Oh, it was a russet potato and about of average size. So does anyone have any information about the carb content in a plain baked potato skin. :confused:

~Mariah~

The skin while being carbs like the rest of the potato IS the main source of fiber, along with many of the vitamins and minerals.

IMHO as a type 2 if it doesn't spike you pass the cheese and ranch and say amen!

You are eating carbs but the good news is that they are slower release carbs. The glycemic index is lower for the skins. Being that was a russett, it is good you tossed the center

Thank you everyone. I was pretty sure with the skins having the fiber and that would make the carbs release slower that eating the skin and not the center was a smart idea. I guess I just became overwhelmed with all the conflicting info I was finding. I guess since it didn't spike me this time I will be cautiously optimistic about the skins. I'll do the same thing the next time my hubby gets a craving for a baked potato and see what happens. It would be nice to be able to eat a potato once in a while, even if it is just the skin :)

~Mariah~

According to Fitday:

White potato skins with adhering flesh - skin from 1 large potato (3" to 4 1/4" diameter raw)=15 gms carbs-2 gms of fiber - i.e. 13 net carbs.

Your dining partner gets a bonus. You get 2 potatoes, scoop them out , you eat the skins and they get the junky center part.

I do this with some whole grain rolls, I scoop out the center, leaving a thin bread layer and the overfill the center. You get a handy sandwich and very little breading when combined with the filling, eliminates a bread spike.

For the potato, if you leave it for last to be consumed, it will also help reduce the spiking

Your dining partner gets a bonus. You get 2 potatoes, scoop them out , you eat the skins and they get the junky center part.

I do this with some whole grain rolls, I scoop out the center, leaving a thin bread layer and the overfill the center. You get a handy sandwich and very little breading when combined with the filling, eliminates a bread spike.

For the potato, if you leave it for last to be consumed, it will also help reduce the spiking

What a splendid idea - actually they both are - thanks volleyball!

volleyball, I do that with sandwich breads all the time. I love subs and such and was frustrated when diagnosed and I couldn't eat them because of the spike from all the bread. Then I realized I could take out the squishy middle of the roll and still enjoy my sandwich with hardly a spike. I'll even do this on the rare occasions when we go out to eat. I get some strange looks sometimes but I don't care :D

~Mariah~

I get strange looks all the time. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with scooping out the food.

A little creativity makes a big difference. I use to get foot long subs, now I get double meat mini or just double it myself and toss 1/2 the bun.

Way back, when my kids were little. When we got a fresh loaf of italian bread, they would eat the centers leaving me the crust. Funny thing is my D did not flare until after I got to eat the center part.