Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spbeyond

High Blood sugar and it wont go down!

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Last few days I have had high blood sugar. its like mid 300s-450. And even after applying liberal insulin they dont seem to be going down. Any suggestions? THanks

Hi,

I can't remember if you are using MDI or Pump. And bear in mind I'm a T2 not using insulin. If you are on MDI, is your insulin expired/off? If pump, is there a problem with the set?

Other than the high BG, are you well? Have you a cold, flu, stomach bug? Are you experiencing stress at the moment? - While thos things can raise your BG, bringing them up to 300-450 does seem a big increase (depending on your normal levels).

I think that after a few days running that high it it time to see a Doctor. Have you checked for ketones?

Have you changed your insulin vial/cartridge to rule out insulin problems? If on MDI change both bolus and basal if you haven't done so.

If using a pen are you sure no air bubbles preventing insulin delivery? Is the pen working properly?

Another question.........how's your diet been? Have you been eating foods that you normally wouldn't be eating?

For myself.......when my numbers start to run high, I know it's either the insulin or the site. I usually change the site out first and if that doesn't work, I open a new vial of insulin.

Good Luck!

Karen

Hey everyone. Last few days I have had high blood sugar. its like mid 300s-450. And even after applying liberal insulin they dont seem to be going down. Any suggestions? THanks

I'd suggest changing everything: insulin, sets/reservoirs/tubing if using a pump. Also, if using a pump, you might try going MDI for a day to see if you have pump step motor/controller issue. Another thing to check is the lot/code number on your strips to ensure that you are getting the correct reading out of the glucometer. If you have a 2nd glucometer, I'd try that as well. Good luck!! :creep: