Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

romo0002

Sliding scale

4 posts in this topic

can someone explain to me what exactly sliding scale mean?:o

Humulin-R insulin 8 units (according to the sliding scale) and Humulin 70/30 insulin 36 units sub cu. q.am.

How much is that at the end?

Is this the same every day or will I have to adjust?

I'm new to all this and any help will be apritiated.

I am not an insulin user but I understand that the sliding scale is old school. With all the new insulins it is usually not the best method. I know some of the others will correct me if I am wrong.

I was on a sliding scale the first week i was diagnosed.

I was told to eat 90 carbs at each meal and then I look at the sliding scale and based on my blood sugar, I would take that certain amount of insulin.

It was basically so my doctors could keep one variable constant and then figure out my insulin needs from there.

I'm not sure if it's different from type 1 and type 2 though. I'm sure others will let you know about this.

Most do carb counting on here. Counting the carbs of the food and having an insulin to carb ratio in order to cover the carbs you eat. This is the more common method. There are many forums that help to explain this

with GD I was on sliding scale..but it was very rough for me as my body was always changing...and i think i really needed better education..