Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pands45

Diabetes and Frequent Urination...

24 posts in this topic

On another thread someone mentioned this. When I was in the endo's office I waited 3 times in a 2hr period for the ladies rm.The nurse said that it was because most diabetics have to go often. I questioned her and said " you mean before they are diagnosed" and she said "no, they always have to pee, even after diagnosed". Anyone know why we have to pee so often???

That is BS. No more than the normal person. If they are poorly controlled yes they will urinate more often. I can't beleive the poor info that some medical people provide. Totally false.

Only if you are not maintaining good control. Always high = alyways warm = always thirsty = always drinking = more peeing. Least how it goes in my case.

That really shouldn't be true when bg is controlled.

Also, is 2 hrs a typical amt. of time to spend at an endo? Were they serving watermelon? :)

no watermelon , not even coffee with soya milk. Just a room full of diabetic URINATORS!!!!2 hours is nothing , I am lucky I even have an endo.My 85 yr old Mom does NOT even have a GP since her GP of 40 years retired last year at 84 yrs.

I don't think I "go" more than a non-diabetic. There are other things that can cause frequency; certain meds, increase in fluids, urinary tract infection, nervousness, enlarged prostate (males of course) to name a few.

I don't think I "go" more than a non-diabetic. There are other things that can cause frequency; certain meds, increase in fluids, urinary tract infection, nervousness, enlarged prostate (males of course) to name a few.

Maybe this MD is just real fond of prescribing LASIX??? :D

Only if sugar is high. Your kidneys need more water to flush it out and make you thirstier and...well...

I'm with foxl on this one. ;)

Mich

Called dr's office today to spk to nurse who said that Diabetics urinate more frequently and she DENIED saying it!!! I'm so-o-o . PO'd at her. What a liar!!!She now says it must be the new meds I am on.Diamicron MR or Gliclazide. I asked that the dr call me and she said to send her a fax asking her to do this. I asked her to give the dr the message. After all, she is the NURSE/Receptionist. She said dr. gets too many calls, so she prefers to communicate like this. In the meantime, I had to get off the spin bike 2 times this morning in a 1 hr spin class. That is the ONLY symptom I have !!! I hate when people lie and are dishonest especially in positions of power.Anyone know if Gliclazide makes you urinate more frequently????

Pands, how long have you had problems with this? Is it only in the daytime, or do you get up at night as well?

Have had the frequency DURING THE DAY since last week when I started these new meds. I get up most nights( once or twice ) because I drink herbal tea at night up until 9 P.M. The Glucophage after dinner makes me feel like I have indegestion so the only that helps is a hot drink. I have a big carry out ug full of tea most nights.So, the daytime thing is new.

My worst case of a Dr lying is when they gave my wife a script for her daughters pain after brain surgery. Still dont know how they found it, but thats another story :D . Anyway, they scripted methadone, then told her it was not addicting. Me, as a ex meth addict and have tried or new about every type drug you could get high on inform her that was NOT true. when she called in a NP there told her that they add something to it to make it not addictive. I went in the next day to see them and came unglued on them. Daughter still would have took them for the pain but true information would have better helped her when it came time to stop them. She took them for 6 weeks and was withdrawing from them for 1 week.

My doctor told me it is because the kidneys get full of sugar and just like anything else when its full, it needs to drain itself. I used to go like 4 times over night while sleeping. and yes i used to drink tons of water too. funny how the signs are written on the wall and as soon as you recieve the good news you can look back and see them all

Any excess protein circulating will get filtered through the kidneys as well, which would contribute to the frequent urination.

Do you think maybe you're drinking more throughout the day? I know I worried so much about my kidneys (still do) that I started drinking lots more water, which in turn kept me in the bathroom more than usual. Also, anytime I get "nervous," I gotta go...so anytime i'm in the doctor's office I tend to go more than usual.

OKAY, I am going to state the obvious. last time this happened to me it was the ONLY symptom I had of an urinary tract infection. get that checked right away, don't let it go.

icebacon,

sorry to single you out, here but when I read the word PROTEIN it struck a chord with me. Before I was dx'd ( around 3 yrs before)my GP called to tell me that there were high levels of protein in my urine culture but NOT to worry abt it.She said the levels weren't high enough to do anything. What does high proteins mean? Would they see that in my last blood test ? or Only in a urine culture?

OKAY, I am going to state the obvious. last time this happened to me it was the ONLY symptom I had of an urinary tract infection. get that checked right away, don't let it go.

:)Hi,

I thought this could also be the case too.UTI's often cause frequent urination. If it was me I would be getting it checked out

When I was first dx'd in August it was because of a UTI that would NOT go away with antibiotics. This time it is different. There is NO pain or chills from fever or discomfort . Just going every 1/2 hr whether I have drunk something or not.No I haven't been drinking more than usual.

icebacon,

sorry to single you out, here but when I read the word PROTEIN it struck a chord with me. Before I was dx'd ( around 3 yrs before)my GP called to tell me that there were high levels of protein in my urine culture but NOT to worry abt it.She said the levels weren't high enough to do anything. What does high proteins mean? Would they see that in my last blood test ? or Only in a urine culture?

Maybe one of the experts here could chime in for the specifics, but the kidneys will filter out small amounts of protein from the blood each time it circulates. Each time around, more and more is filtered out by the kidneys. That's why you shouldn't really consume more than you can use, so it's a good idea to do some resistance training along with your cardio so you can have your muscles grabbing the protein instead of the kidneys.

I think a urine test would be the only way to measure that, but then again there's probably some feedback loop chemical that can be found in the blood.

When I was first dx'd in August it was because of a UTI that would NOT go away with antibiotics. This time it is different. There is NO pain or chills from fever or discomfort . Just going every 1/2 hr whether I have drunk something or not.No I haven't been drinking more than usual.

okay well every UTI I have had I had pain and burning, but NOT the last one. I told my endo I was peeing all the time, but he didn't seem to care. 5 days later I had foamy pee, that means protein, went to urgent care. they told me I had protein and a uti. well I had this UTI for WEEKS and that is where the protein was coming from. Not GOOD. after the UTI went away so did the protein. I was lucky. You cannot brush thse symptoms under the rug. not safe.

I'd definitely have them check for a UTI.

I've got problems with frequent urination (I can't even go the 20 minutes from my house to school before I have to go again, EVERY time I leave somewhere I have to go, otherwise I end up in a state of emergency, haha). They tested for a UTI, but it came back negative for me. Then my MD told me I was drinking too much water (40 oz). I personally think my doctor is on crack by saying that, but they didn't find elevated glucose in my urine samples - according to him, but I never checked it myself, and he sort of doesn't tell me important information.