Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sugardumplin

Hot Water causing LOW blood sugar?

7 posts in this topic

This has happened to me twice. I like to take really hot baths. Not very often. But every now and then I will read a book and run 2-3 tubs full of hot water. But the last 2 times I have done that, My bloodsugar has dropped low. I get the shakes and I can't get out of the bathroom fast enough to check my sugar. It was 65 last night and I cant remember what it was last time. But I was wondering if hot water can drop your blood sugar? or was this a coincidence with my exercising earlier in the day?

because if hot water CAN bring it down, then when it is high... maybe a hot bath to bring it down? :confused:

I've noticed lower blood sugar after being in the hot tub...but i've also noticed my blood sugar to be higher after a hot bath...go figure!

Interesting...

This is about insulin absorption and hot water:

Also, certain things may increase how quickly insulin gets absorbed into the bloodstream and can make hypoglycemia more likely to occur. For example, taking a hot shower or bath right after having an insulin injection increases blood flow through the blood vessels in the skin, which can cause the insulin to be absorbed more quickly than usual.

When Blood Sugar Is Too Low

Hi,

I have just joined this site and live in London, UK. I am glad that you have posted yourself as "1.5" as that is what i logically called myself when the doctors said i was neither type 2 or 1.

Does anyone know of any treatments that are looking positive, also if there is any more progress on the stem cell research?

Thanks

Sam

Hi,

I have just joined this site and live in London, UK. I am glad that you have posted yourself as "1.5" as that is what i logically called myself when the doctors said i was neither type 2 or 1.

Does anyone know of any treatments that are looking positive, also if there is any more progress on the stem cell research?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam, welcome. Good on you for weathering the storms of trying to get a diagnosis. Type 1.5 doesn't really mean "between" type 1 and 2 or an unknown type, it's much closer to type 1 in mechanics, with important differences such as the length of time the pancreas takes to fail. The situation is complicated by the fact 1.5s are often misdiagnosed as type 2 - or, simply left an "unknown", as in your case.

Here is some further reading for you. Diabetes Types, Type 1.5, Slow Onset Type 1 and LADA.

There is also a type 1.5 forum here.

----

And hot water always makes me go high, just as hot weather does. Sometimes dramatically, I basically need to bolus for showers.

And hot water always makes me go high, just as hot weather does. Sometimes dramatically, I basically need to bolus for showers.

Yup, me too.

Climbing in a tub with a new book is a great way to spend an evening especially during long cold winter here and I find that I run WAY higher when I'm tubbing.