Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brainhiccups

Stopped Metformin-No More Gastroparesis?

22 posts in this topic

I gave it over 3 months: last 6 weeks was increasing nausea constantly, even throughout the night.

I finally said "ENOUGH! ...I had allowed enough time for my body's adjustment to Metformin", so I quit it and went back on my Glipizide.

Strange thing .....when I quit the Metformin, my Gastroparesis subsided! I haven't had a single episode since I quit the Metformin over 2 weeks ago....and my gastro began around the same time I started Metformin!

Hmmmm?/? Yeppers ...totally not 'normal' here! :T

....Kate

Was it really delayed stomach emptying ... or just more generalized nastay indigestion? Will keep that one in mind if I ever develop it ... oh, I am TRULY TRULY fortunate that metformin agrees with me!!!

Would be nice if diabetes were a little less 'individual' sometimes.

YEAH -- like wouldn't it be nice to eat what the next person does, and be done with it?

Let alone the meds side effects ...

YEAH -- like wouldn't it be nice to eat what the next person does, and be done with it?

Let alone the meds side effects ...

What fun would that be?

Nothing says good times like struggling to manage your own medication over an extended period of time!

:shot:

What fun would that be?

Nothing says good times like struggling to manage your own medication over an extended period of time!

:shot:

And it IS almost invariably managing your own, isn't it!

I tried the maximum dose of Metformin for three months to see if it would help with weight loss. I had no side effects, nor any effects for that matter. It did nothing to help the weight loss and made absolutely no difference in my BG numbers or A1c.

I guess this drug works wonders for some people but no drug is worth feeling bad all the time. Sounds like you made a smart decision.

Was it really delayed stomach emptying ... or just more generalized nastay indigestion? Will keep that one in mind if I ever develop it ... oh, I am TRULY TRULY fortunate that metformin agrees with me!!!

Hi foxl;

I was diagnosed with gastro, but now I have doubts. At times, a meal might sit for over 18 hours! I am hoping the gastro is gone now, or at least a possible misdiagnosis!

...Kate

just out of interest were you taking your metformin AFTER your meals? and how many were you taking?

Hi Des;

I would take my (1) Metformin at meal time. I started on 500mg tablets, 2x daily and then my gp switched me to Metformin ER 1000mg 2x daily.

I tried taking it before meals, during, and after with no change in it's effects.

....Kate

I have the same suspicion, that the Metformin I took for 6 months was the cause of extreme gastroparesis. My digestion was fine when I was newly diagnosed with diabetes in Dec. 2008 and put on Metformin. By April 1, 2009, by A1C was normal, but my digestion was a mess. By June 1, 2009, all food and even water sat in a lump at the top of my stomach. I stopped taking the Metformin because I was in such pain and could no longer eat. Tests in July 2009 showed pancreatic cancer metastasized to my liver -- stage 4 with only 3 months to live.

I'm still alive after a rough year of chemo and extreme stomach pain that narcotics couldn't ease. I changed to a new doctor who diagnosed gastroparesis June 9, 2010, and was prescribed Domperidone. Already it has worked like a miracle, reducing my stomach pain soI can now eat quite normally (with a little help from pancreatic enzymes too).

I don't go as far as associating Metformin with causing pancreatic cancer, but I'm quite convinced the Metformin caused the gastroparesis. Does anyone else know anything about this association?

HI,I WAS READING posts about bad results from metformin maybe this is why i have spent quite a bit of time sitting

on a toilet,my gp and i are going to try met xr maybe the fact of getting a little at a time will work better for me.

HI,I WAS READING posts about bad results from metformin maybe this is why i have spent quite a bit of time sitting

on a toilet,my gp and i are going to try met xr maybe the fact of getting a little at a time will work better for me.

A lot of people do better on the xr (extended release) version of metformin. There are also a lot of us who can't handle the side effects of any type of metformin, namely the diarrhea. They say the side effects will diminish over time, but not in all cases.

I took it for 30 days and it got progressively worse. I finally decided that I'd had enough, so I quit taking it. It seems that all oral diabetes meds affect my stomach the same way, as I've tried every class of oral diabetes drugs. For me, insulin was the only way to go, and I'm glad I did. No more stomach upset, and much tighter BG control.:)

I had the other end of the spectrum with Metformin. Things moving along at an amazing pace.:eek:

I've had gastroparesis for over 2 yrs now but never took metformin. I did notice, though, that symlin caused a lot of the same kinds of problems regardless of how little I ate so I stopped taking it after 8 months.

Fawn

Immediately after being diagnosed, I was put on Metformin. After only 1-2 days of taking it, I was thrown into full-blown heartburn/gerd/acid reflux from ****. Even though the medication was stopped after only 5-6 days on it, it took a whole two weeks to be able to get my stomach calmed down enough to be able to eat ANYTHING again. Thought I was going to die. I was placed on glimeperide after I was back to normal again, stomach-wise, and have had no problem with this med at all. It's amazing how each of us reacts differently to the same med.

Nancy

I have been through the ringer with my current endocrinologist. She put me on metformin four years ago, and the gastrointestinal issues were horrible. After awhile she switched me to Glumetza, a newer form of Metformin, saying it had less of the gastro side-effects that metformin has. Yeah right! I had constant diarrhea and stomach upsets. For the past 3 years I've been on and off Glumetza....I would go off of it because I couldn't take the side effects, then I'd try it again because my endo said it was my best bet. Then she put my on the injection drug Byetta. OMG was that a horrible 2 months! I was SOOOO sick! Sure, I lost quite a bit of weight, but only because I was constantly nauseas and/or throwing up. I went off of it after a HORRIBLE stomach attack that I later realized was an attack of pancreatitis. After I went off the Byetta, for the next couple of months I was sick on and off and finally 2 months later I got so sick I had to go to the ER where they diagnosed me with pancreatitis. It took me months to recover. All that time I was on and off the Glumetza. After the hospital diagnosed me with pancreatitis, they found my gallbladder was diseased and removed that. From then on I was never the same. The next year I got very, very sick with gastroparesis. For 2 months I couldn't eat any solid food and lost 40 lbs. I felt like I was dying. During that episode I went off the Glumetza for awhile. After going off the Glumetza, my gastroparesis disappeared. I thought I was done with that. (and I should note that at that time no one put two and two together and suggested the Glumetza was causing the trouble). Well, it's 11 months after that terrible 2 months of illness from the gastroparesis, and now it's back. And worse than ever! I have been SO, SO sick. In the past 2 weeks I've been hospitalized 3 times and lost 25 lbs. I am very sick and very scared. I had gone back on the Glumetza 2 months ago because my endo kept pushing it. It didn't click until I was in the ER tonight. I was talking to a nurse who mentioned she had been on Glumetza and had developed gastroparesis. I was shocked and mad at myself for not making the connection. I went off the Glumetza 2 weeks ago when I first got sick again, and I am NEVER going on that drug again. And I feel like I want to sue the **** out of my endocronologist for putting me through absolute **** for the past 4 years! She's basically given up on me now anyway. I wrote her an e-mail telling her I was falling apart, and desperate to figure out what was wrong with me. She said several time in a return e-mail that she doesn't know what else to do for me, almost blaming me that I was intolerant to all the meds she's tried on me. I am now in the process of finding a new endo who I hope can save my life...because at this point, I feel like I'm dying. I'm pretty scared. (I should add that I also have an overactive adrenal gland which causes a lot of horrible symptoms, and I believe I might have Cushings disease, but my endo doesn't believe I have it because it's "RARE"....)

Anyway hope this info might help someone else out there with similar issues. Good luck to you all.

Boy, you've been through the wringer! I hope you're on the mend now that you've gotten of the med wagon.

Let us know a little about your diabetes....can you control it with diet and exercise? I know your Endo wanted you on meds, but doctors push a lot of drugs and may not go to the heart of the matter: Carbs are the problem for diabetics and reducing or eliminating starchy carbs from our diets can go a long way toward gaining good control. If any meds are needed, you might consider insulin as your second line of attack.

By the way - open a new thread in the Introductions section so more people will see you and give you welcome!

Best,

Jen

Hi lovermoon5,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

I have been thinking about taking metformin and find this thread really helpful. Thank you everyone.

I want to try metformin because I eat the same few types of low carb food all the time and I am afraid that will lead to problems (too much of anything is not good). Many members here as well as my friends and cousins have good BG with metformin. My April 2012 AC1 was 5.4 and my doctor does not like to give me metformin saying my A1C is in good range and I don't need it, plus metformin might have side effects on kidney.

lovermood5-

I know we all have different side effects to drugs. Mine with metformin is gastro- heartburn & extreeme loose bowels, but that is only the first day, maybe 2 at most. If I forget a dose, next dose, I'm in the bathroom withing 30 mins... If I forget both morning & evening doses of metformin, then the next day, I might as well stay home from work. & it takes a whole day to get my body back on track. But, I'm always okay & regular again by the end of 2nd day.

Alot of your symptoms lovermoon5 -- really sound like ciliac disease to me. Have you ever gotten it tested? I also think that cilac disease also causes lots of reactions to oral meds. Since the body is not obsorbing the meds it needs, the remaining... gets flushed out. & the body is trying to get it thru, so much more fluid goes into digestive track. Please, look into ciliac disease. See if you have glutten allergies. Many doc's completely miss diagnosing the ciliac disease symptoms. It takes many many many years for the disease to get soo bad that the patients just about scream at their doctors.

Chelle....Yes, I've been checked for Celiac. It was negative. I've been working with a gastroenterologist who has done so many tests and is baffled at my sickness. I'm so frustrated. It's been a little over 3 weeks since this bout of illness started. I've mostly been on a liquid diet and I've lost 35 lbs. I tried in the past couple days to eat some soft food, but it doesn't want to digest and this morning my stomach is hurting so bad. BTW I am not diabetic....well, I'm pre-diabetic. Twice I've gone over into full-blown diabetes, but with diet and exercise I've been able to get back to pre-diabetes. Anyway, I've had stomach issues my whole life, but not like this. I think I first took Metformin 15 years ago when i saw my first endo. I wasn't on it long because the stomach issues it caused were so horrible. Several years later a new endo put me on Glucophage....same issues with my stomach. Then four years ago my newest endo put me on Glumetza hoping the side effects would be mild, but no such luck. But since I wanted it to work for me I kept trying. I'd take it for six months or so, but then get so sick I'd go off it. Then I'd wait awhile and try again. I don't know why I kept trying, but my endo kept pushing it and i guess I wanted to please her. But in the past 2 years my stomach issues have been so severe it's unreal. This gastroparesis is soooo horrible. Last year when I got a real bad attack, it took me two months (at least) to recover and be able to eat solid food. I had gone off the Glumetza because I wasn't about to deal with it's side effects when I was having these attacks. I didn't put two and two together that these bad attacks that put me in the ER might be caused by the Glumetza. Like I said, it wasn't until I talked to that nurse at the ER a couple weeks ago that it clicked that these gastroparesis attacks could be caused by the Glumetza. When i went off the Glumetza last summer, I got better after a couple months and was fine for like 9 months or so. But at the urging of my endo I went back on the Glumetza, and boom, two months later another attack of gastroparesis that has lasted for over 3 weeks so far. I stopped the Glumetza right when I first got sick. I'm hoping it hasn't done permanent damage to my digestive system. I know most people can tolerate this class of diabetic drugs, but obviously my body can't. I've always been hypersensitive to drugs...any drug. It's just so frustrating. Especially since my endo doesn't want to admit that the Glumetza could have anything to do with these attacks. My gastro hasn't even considered it! These Drs just keep pushing more and more crazy drugs on me that ALL make me sicker! It just seems that this is all they care about...pushing their pills. Since I can't tolerate any of the medicines my endo has put me on in the past four years, she has basically given up on me. She acts like it's my fault, like I'm a difficult patient and she wants to send me off to some clinic in Cleveland (which is three hours away from me....I'm really too poor to drive back and forth to go there). I just feel absolutely alone right now. None of these Dr's seem to want to help me. I just feel like giving up on life. Sorry to be so dramatic, but my quality of life has declined so much in the past two years that I feel like a waste of space on this earth. I am wondering if I'll ever feel normal?