notme

Low Carb Daily Diet.....

2,719 posts in this topic

Well, Subby, I plan my diet based on help from Dr. Bernstein's list of "safe" veggies, and no-nos (available online, if you Google "Bernstein book diabetes read online"). He starts with a few simple rules:

• First, eliminate all foods that contain simple sugars. As you should know by now—but it bears repeating—“simple sugar” does not mean just table sugar; that’s why I prefer to call them fast-acting carbohydrates. Most breads and other starchy foods, such as potatoes and grains, become glucose so rapidly that they can cause serious postprandial increases in blood sugar.

• Second, limit your total carbohydrate intake to an amount that will work with your injected insulin or your body’s remaining phase II insulin response, if any. In this way, you avoid a postprandial blood sugar increase, and avoid overworking any remaining insulin-producing beta cells of your pancreas (research has demonstrated that beta cell burnout can be slowed or halted by normalizing blood sugars).

• Third, stop eating when you no longer feel hungry, not when you’re stuffed. There’s no reason for you to leave the table hungry, but there’s also no reason to be gluttonous. Remember the Chinese restaurant effect (page 95).

Chapter 10 lists good veggies, as well as foods to avoid.

I eat mixed greens on a daily basis. I eat avocados pretty much daily. Green beans, asparagus, brussels sprouts (if I don't overeat them), broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini are regularly consumed.

I don't avoid all the no-no foods--but I eat them only occasionally, and in very moderate amounts. Through eating and testing, I know that I can eat a dozen or so blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries--or three or four strawberries--without spiking. I can eat a small fresh fig, or a clementine, as well. But it also seems that, if I make too much of a game out of challenging my meter, my average BGs creep up. Low-carb doesn't work for me if too many of those carbs are sugar. (I experimented with beans early on, and found that I can eat only limited quantities without spiking. So, too, for tomato-based sauces. It's easier to avoid them, and to have green stuff.)

Also, I find that my toughest time is the morning. I will see a 20-point rise from wake-up to 2 hours post-breakfast even on an omelette. (I tried not eating at all this past Monday; my BG just kept climbing until, by noon, I was at 124, and I ate lunch to take it down). What seems to work for me is to drink a low-carb (5 grams of carbs or fewer) protein shake at wake-up. I then don't eat until four hours later or so (still a couple hours from lunch), when I have a single serving of almonds or walnuts. I've also experimented with pork rinds, but I think the almonds or walnuts work better for the morning.

Lunch is generally protein and greens: grilled salmon salad, turkey burger with avocado (no bun) and a side salad (no croutons) or steamed veggies, grilled chicken and mixed greens, Cobb salads, steak salads. Sometimes, a cheddar burger (no bun) or an avocado and Canadian bacon omelette. That come with fried potatoes and a cup of cubed melon and pineapple; I eat two or three pieces of potato and three or four cubes of melon or pineapple. If I don't have time to go out for lunch, I have a tin of sardines or smoked herring, a packet of almonds, and a hard-boiled egg or two. I usually add a half-square of unsweetened baker's chocolate.

By 4 p.m. or so, I'm ready for another packet of nuts. Dinner is usually more mixed greens and grilled protein--buffalo burgers or tuna steak from Trader Joe's, chicken breast, etc. Sometimes an omelette. Sometimes sliced cheese and turkey pastrami over mixed greens. Sometimes steak. Sometimes a stirfry of pastrami/beef, green beans, almonds, and olive oil. I usually have another half-square of unsweetened baker's chocolate, and, if I'm still hungry, some pork rinds.

Berries are usually limited to lunch or dinner.

Once a week or so, we take a pint of heavy cream, a cup of almond milk, and some sugar-free syrup, and make ice cream.

Ok, since you directed it to me, I'll take the pleasure to thank you for your awesome list, ShottleBop.

Don't you love it when you can cut all that fat (calories) and only have one more carb gram?! Those things really excite me.

I did notice one thing Nancy -- don't hurt me!! Why did you add the butter to the toast? I know low-carbers eat more fat, but you and I both lean toward moderation. In my case that means no fat unless it replaces sugar. I just know how badly you want to lose that 10 pounds ;)

Jan, this touches on another thing I was reminded of severely today. The idea that always adding fat will automatically lower the spiking (or if I may say, GI) of a carb. I have not found this to be a good rule case in practise for me. It can also make a carb much more problematic!

Why today? I ate a jam doughnut for the first time in perhaps a year. Yikes!!!! At 2 hours I had blown out badly, at 3 I had double BG. This is something I'd worked out before, and learn't a long time ago to avoid, along with most cakes. Today, I was starving from forgetting to eat most of the day, at the shop, a little high which gives me carb cravings, wishful thinking, you get the picture.

Of course, I bolused for it "appropriately", at being around 35g carbs - and added in some more for good measure. But the quick sugar, the quick carbs, about 45% combined with about 45% fat - makes it a little time bomb. It's to do with the resistance that mounts as I go high and stay high, compounded by the fat, in the meantime the insulin "does it's rounds", dusts up here and there, shrugs it's shoulders and says "my 2 hours is up, I didn't do much, I can do no more - ooh... gotta go" and is gone.

35g carbs of the same kind of carbs with lower fat would definitely spike me, but it tends to be my bolus will catch up, drag it back down somewhat. Not that I eat those things or white bread at all... it's Burgen for me, same as Joel. Brilliant bread.

Whether fat added to carbs helps or hinders with my management of my BG, is truly something to look at on a case by case basis, each and every time!

Again, sorry for pulling the thread around! Sock is in it.

Again, sorry for pulling the thread around! Sock is in it.

Don't put a sock in it. I am learning from everything I read. We will just have to weed through for the daily diets. Maybe put a giant red note if you are adding your daily diet at the top of your post. That way we can sort it all out. ;)

Now THIS is perplexing.....

I ate the exact same breakfast I have had all week. FAGE yogurt and berries, flourless bread and butter.

I just tested and 303!!!! HOLY MOTHER!

Could it be the 2% made that much of a difference? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here is the difference in the ingredients.

2% reads:

Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed milk and cream, live active yogurt cultures (L Bularicus,S. Thermophilus)

Total Fat 4g

Sat. Fat 3g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 10 mg

Sodium 65 mg

Total carbs 8g

Fiber 0g

Sugars 8 g

Protein 17 g

The regular reads

Grade A Pasteurized milk and cream, live active yogurt cultures (L Bularicus,S. Thermophilus)

Total Fat 23 g

Sat Fat 18g

Trans Fat 0g

Choleserol 40mg

Sodium 65 mg

Total carbs 7g

Fiber 0g

Sugars 7g

Protein 15g

Yes. Not because of more fat, but because they increase the carb content of skimmed milk, by adding back powder nonfat milk -- including lactose. Yikes, indeed.

The whole milk version tastes so good, too ...

bf small apple sliced couple of strawbs cottage cheese and cream on top.. 2 hr bg = 4.7

lunch 6 big strawbs and lettuce with mayo a few slices of tinned corned beef.... 30g bar of 70% lindt choc.... giant cup of tea

2 hr bg =4.4

This morning, my fasting BG was 83. I had an Atkins shake, and two hours later my BG was 108 (not unusual, even for a no-carb breakfast).

At 10 (four hours after the shake, BG was 100. I had a packet of walnuts. A little after noon, BG was 106. I went downstairs (I'm working today) and, by 12:30, was tucking into a brie-and-bell pepper omelette with a side of salmon. I had two pieces of fried potato, two chunks of cantaloupe, and a chunk of pineapple, to which I added a 1/2 square of baker's chocolate and 4 or 5 pieces of pork rind.

At 1:34 (one hour PP), BG was 115. At 2:40, it was 101. Now, at 3:30, it's 105 (essentially flat, given the tolerances on glucose meters).

ok! Sunday morning here. my old fave of 1 piece of burgen's toast with PB (again!) and black coffee (again!).

now i am off to read at Church - will take a small apple just in case i need a glucose boost. SUBBY, i will report if the apple is an eaten apple or a non-eaten apple - just so you know... :)

after that i think i am going to make a big batch of Put Lentil soup. This is basically a big mirepoix sweating a ham hock. followed by stock and the lentils. later stripping the ham from the bone. not low carb - moderate carb. but bloody good...

:)

-- Joel.

yesterday I had lunch at Foodees with my buddies. I had 3/8 of a 14" spinach pizza on sourdough crust with ricotta, spinach, garlic, red peppers, black olives, artichokes and a cheese blend. It's friggin' yummy. Water with that.

I had one more slice for dinner.

This morning I had another 3 egg omelet with cheddar and American cheese and green salsa. More black coffee. Green Mountain Blueberry coffee and water.

For lunch I had a green curry soup and water. A small apple and a little sharp cheddar too.

Eggplant parmesan Merlot and water for dinner and my daily dose of dark chocolate too.

Dinner tonight was:

Tempeh sauteed with ginger and garlic and green beans ... topped with browned shallots and coconut!

And a large mixed baby greens salad with sunflower seeds and tomatoes and cuke and a bit of sun-dried tomato dressing.

Dessert was 3 HUGE strawberries, dipped in Fage yogurt. YUM!

ran23 likes this

At 6:15, BG was down to 79--unusually low for me.

I'm at my father-in-law's, staying with him for the night while our daughter takes her fiance up to LA for a business trip. I made us salads of mixed greens, olives stuffed with onion, and turkey bacon (4 strips each, nuked until crispy). I dressed mine with a Caesar dressing (less than one gram of carbs). We each had a square of Ghirardelli's 100% cacao chocolate (no sugar; just over 4 grams of carbs, 2 of them fiber); I had a packet of almonds and finished off the last of the pork rinds. My father-in-law had ice cream.

sometimes for bf I have apple slices fried in butter till they go a bit brown...with scrambled eggs

sometimes for bf I have apple slices fried in butter till they go a bit brown...with scrambled eggs

I think you just described tomorrow's breakfast for me ... ooooooooohweeee!

Yes. Not because of more fat, but because they increase the carb content of skimmed milk, by adding back powder nonfat milk -- including lactose. Yikes, indeed.

The whole milk version tastes so good, too ...

Did you check out the nutritional panels Nancy posted? Because the skim only has 1 more gram of carbs, and 1 more gram of sugar, serving there. Surely that's not going to account for such a spike?

Maybe your suggesting that lactose doesn't need to be listed under the panel somehow, is that what you mean? It gets listed under carbs for my milk. Which for lactose for me is, zero, I like the zymil stuff, regular or low fat is fine for me, I recommend it to be checked out for lactose intolerant people.

Nancy, two thoughts - one is it may well be fat helping in that instance. I'm thinking it could also very well have been a dud bolus or the planets aligning the wrong way. I'd be repeating the test of that milk! Unless you've never had skim milk before, I think you surely would have picked up if it spiked you so badly.

Did you check out the nutritional panels Nancy posted? Because the skim only has 1 more gram of carbs, and 1 more gram of sugar, serving there. Surely that's not going to account for such a spike?

Maybe your suggesting that lactose doesn't need to be listed under the panel somehow, is that what you mean? It gets listed under carbs for my milk. Which for lactose for me is, zero, I like the zymil stuff, regular or low fat is fine for me, I recommend it to be checked out for lactose intolerant people.

Nancy, two thoughts - one is it may well be fat helping in that instance. I'm thinking it could also very well have been a dud bolus or the planets aligning the wrong way. I'd be repeating the test of that milk! Unless you've never had skim milk before, I think you surely would have picked up if it spiked you so badly.

Your right subby, that was one heck of a spike. I will be trying it again. I really don't understand that large of a spike. I have gone back to 2% milk because fat free did seem to spike me more than 2%, but not to that extreme. I am not a huge milk fan, so I never really looked for the definitive answer.

Yeeeeesh -- Obviously NOT! THAT cannot be what did it! I looked at the post and then not the numbers (slaps own hand) -- not EVEN if it were a question of how fermented each batch of yogurt was. Okay, will shut up and READ MORE!

FBG this morning was 86--that's three sub-90s in a row. I had a BIG breakfast this morning: an Atkins shake AND a single-serving packet of walnuts. Two-hour PP was 95.

This morning my blood sugar was 64 when I woke up and 94 after coffee.

1 cup of FAGE greek yogurt with six blackberries and about 8 blueberries and splenda.

1 piece of sprouted wheat berry bread/flourless. 2 tbs butter

6 raw almonds.

So 2.5 hours after breakfast my blood sugar was 147. The only change I have made from the original recipe is Splenda. I used about 2 tsps of Splenda.

Does Splenda make that much of a difference???

Powdered Splenda would have about a half-gram of carb per teaspoon: Source.

Well then I guess Subby is right and the planets have not been lining up right these past few days. Better than the 303 the day before.

Today at lunch I had a tiny amount of vegetable barley soup, hard boiled egg and a piece of laughing cow cheese and my blood sugar plummeted twice. 54 about 1.5 hours after lunch, brought it up with glucose tabs and dropped again to 48 about an hour after those.

Such a battle this diabetes.

ok.

one piece low carb burgens bread (8.5g) toasted. spread with real butter.

topped with several slices of NZ Mainland Aged Cheddar. then topped with 2 hardboiled eggs (still warm) sliced in half. then covered with several thin slices of Kulen Croation Garlic sausage.

squeeze on top of this some full-fat kraft thousand island dressing (about a table spoon).

eat with knife and fork.

this was experimental - and gosh it was good... :)

:)

-- Joel.

Very creative Joel.

Tonight for dinner I made our favorite portabello mushroom burgers. We normally have it on whole wheat hamburger buns, but when I checked the carbs I fainted. Marinated in BBQ sauce that was mostly cooked off, topped with mozzarella cheese melted on top. I had mine open faced so about 15 carbs. Fresh green beans.

My blood sugar was 64 before dinner. Low all day.

Lunch today: omelette with cheese and a Trader Joe's chicken chipotle sausage, a square of Ghirardelli's 100% cacao dark chocolate, and a salad of mixed greens dressed with basil-flavored olive oil. Preprandial BG was 90; two-hour postprandial was 110.

Midafternoon snack, at 3, was a packet of almonds; an hour later, BG was 100.

Dinner was 6:40; preprandial BG was 95. We had Trader Joe's buffalo burgers over mixed greens, with roasted pepper-flavored olive oil, a small bag of pork rinds, and a half-square of unsweetened baker's chocolate. About a half hour after dinner, I rode my bike for half an hour. Two-hour PP was 75.