Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jillybean

caprylic acid?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone ever take this? It ws suggested to me as something helpful for type 2 diabetes - I'd never heard of it. A quick Google of it and "diabetes" did not yield much helpful information. Seems to have something to do with the premise that type 2 is partly caused or exacerbated by a certain bacteria or yeast in the gut, which I know in and of itself is a very "iffy" theory to begin with. Just curious...anyone?

Not heard of it. What's the theory?

The theory (and I've seen this raised on these boards once or twice) is that type 2 is caused or worsened by a fungus/bacteria/yeast in the gut that somehow affect how the body absorbs and processes sugar. The caprylic acid serves to get rid of this fungus, thereby improving the diabetes.

Looks like it makes some people sick, though, since there are both good and bad bacteria in the gut, and anything you ingest to kill bacteria will kill both good AND bad, so it can cause some gas or bowel issues during the "killing off."

I've also seen it referred to as being used for skin fungus issues as well - I have some red spots that a doctor has told me in the past are a fungus (though OTC anti-fungal creams have not helped), so maybe I'll try it for that and see what happens. I'm already on a strong probiotic to help with the growth of the good bacteria.