Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bbildman

Expired Accu-Chek Aviva Strips

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have moved to Spain and have some strips that expired 5-31-2009, but would really like to use these up before purchasing more here (expensive).

Is there a way to make these strips work in my Aviva...changing date etc to earlier doesn't seem to work.

Also is there a way to erase the memory of the Aviva, thanks a lot

I've used strips that were a month or more out of date and never had any problem. There is always a safety margin built in anyway and I am sure it's more than a few days. You can always check if you have a bottle of solution to see if they come within the solutions range. Which you should do if they may have been exposed to high humidity no matter the date.

I used strips bought online and they seemed to run high. SOMETIMES. I would say use the strips but if the reading seems high, retest with another strip, or another meter.

Much has to do with how they are handled. I have heard complaints of shippers leaving them on porches for delivery ...

I used strips bought online and they seemed to run high. SOMETIMES. I would say use the strips but if the reading seems high, retest with another strip, or another meter.

Much has to do with how they are handled. I have heard complaints of shippers leaving them on porches for delivery ...

Yeah, they do that alot, thats why I'm stocking up before summer temps kick in

I think what Bb is saying is that his meter won't accept the strips?? Sorry I can't help though. May be a job for SuperSherpaJason.

Sumi, glad YOU can read ... LOL.

I guess that makes sense -- Aviva will not accept expired strips ... talk about planned obsolesence, though .... grrrrr.

foxl, so you're saying there is no way to change the date of the Aviva etc so that expired strips (only a month old) will work??

Hello, I have moved to Spain and have some strips that expired 5-31-2009, but would really like to use these up before purchasing more here (expensive).

Is there a way to make these strips work in my Aviva...changing date etc to earlier doesn't seem to work.

Also is there a way to erase the memory of the Aviva, thanks a lot

Yes there is. Unfortunately you must open the unit. This process might also erase the previous readings stored in the unit. You must also be a little familiar with electrical or electronics in general. If you are not careful you might also damage the unit permanently. ALSO YOU MUST REALIZE THAT THE STRIPS EXPIRE FOR A PURPOSE(Accurate readings), APART FROM FORCING YOU BUYING NEW ONES.

I am not responsible if you damage your unit, get incorrect readings, etc, etc. You act on your own

If you agree with the above, continue reading

There is a center screw behind the back label of the unit, if you feel the plastic sticker you can tell where it is. Either pierce a hole there or carefully remove the entire sticker in order to get to the screw.

Remove the screw

Open the case either with a guitar pick, or with your finger nails.

Locate the small battery in about the center of the unit. It is welded in place so it is not easy to remove it without tools, not it is required for this

Short the battery for a few seconds. DO NOT SHORT FOR TOO LONG, SINCE IT MIGHT EXPLODE. This will make the unit forget all stored data regarding initial date, I do not recall if it erases the previous readings, but as mentioned earlier, assume that it does.

If you shorted the battery long enough, the unit will request current date and time. DO NOT ENTER THE CORRECT DATE. you must a date prior to the date your strips expire. Set it in such a date that you will have enough time to use all your old strips. Off cource at some point(after you have user the old strips) you must reset the unit and set the correct date, if you wanna keep up the correct dates

Good luck.

ps. And one more thing, buy your strips online where you can find them cheaper, and have a friend ship them to you. You gan go as low as $19 for 50 strips plus some lancets.

Good luck again.

tamtakos, you say "Short the battery for a few seconds" -- how pray tell do I do this??

Removing the replaceable battery also requests a new date/time set, I assume this is not enough to allow for older strips to be used after resetting??

Thanks for your advise