Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deercotn

"Sugar Alcohol"

13 posts in this topic

Some things, like "sugar-free" candy and cookies, contain no sugar but contain "sugar alcohol".

What is this and is it safe for a diabetic?

Thanks.

Can't answer exactly on what it is, but the "is it safe" is something that can only be answered by YOU.

Some diabetics can handle sugar alcohols just fine. Personally, they spike my BS just as bad as regular sugar.

Also, many have a laxative effect, so if you eat them, eat sparingly to see if your body likes them, then test to see if your blood sugar stays in an acceptable range.

You need to be careful with sugar free anything -cookies, candy , and just the label sugar free. Read the package and the labels as they can be more harmful than the sugar product. Take the sugar free item and compare the sugar item. Iwas shocked that some sugar free cookies carry more carbs, sugar ,fats and add ons than the sugar ones. A nurse told me sugar alcohol in large amounts can be more bs raising than a small amount of a regular low syrup. The taste of the sugar free stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth a long while and has bad results with upset stomach. I try to have a very small amount of the real thing and watch the food intake the rest of the day. try fruit on pancakes. After a while the sugar craze does go away as bad. You have done a good job of getting your a1c down.

Sugar alcohol is stuff like malitol. These are basically artifical sweetners, similar to splenda, equal etc.. They are FDA approved and considered safe. They can cause severe stomach upset if you try to eat to much at once, but you will build up a tolerance to them. In some stuff you won't notice a taste, but in other food it is slightly bitter. Most people say that sugar alcohol is asorbed slower than regular sugar and therefore will not spike you as bad. It really is one of those things that you just have to try. Good Luck.

All the above is true I believe. Be aware, however, that they are not really "free" carbs. On average, the body uses about 50% of the sugar alcohol as normal carbs so calculate this in as you do the carb math.

There are some newer sugar alcohols available on the market that do not have as bad of a negative impact as others. For example, ZSweet (zsweet.com) is a commercial brand name for erythritol, a sugar alcohol that has zero glycemic index, zero calories and very little effect on the bowels.

I have had erythritol in Hershey's products in the past, and loved it. Then, Hershey's stopped making it. When I found out about ZSweet, I was happy!

Regards,

D

What does your meter tell you? Forget sugar, go by the carbs. And if it fits in your diet carb-wise does it change your readings after eating it? If you spike up after doing so then that form of "sugar" doesn't process well for you.

Coffee creamer (the dry stuff) is a good example. Most contain few carbs and they show "0" for sugar content. But in the fine print it shows a sugar extract and most T2's I know can't use it without spiking alot.

Talk to your meter after you eat some and see what it does :)

I thought Zsweet was zylitol? In any case, I buy erythritol regularly and love it. It is an all-natural sugar alcohol that does not typically cause the same isues as other sugar alcohols (malitol and sorbitol will keep in the bathroom for HOURS, but I have never had a problem with erythritol and use it regularly).

I've found that I tolerate sugar alcohols without a problem, but I have to completely agree with some of the warnings concerning laxative effects.

I ate some York Sugar Free Peppermint Patties earlier this week and had one of the worst cases of diarrhea I've ever had.

Not certain that it was the patties themselves, I tried a few again a couple days later with the same results.

Too bad, because they're tasty.

I don't do well with anything that contains "sugar alcohol" in it. I do not buy any food items that say "sugar-free" or "no sugar added". They raise my BS no matter what, so if I'm going to eat something, it's going to be the real thing!

For example........Vanilla Ice Cream. Depending on the brand name, the total carbohydrate count can be 14-18g for the regular and 13-15g for sugar free.

Karen

I thought Zsweet was zylitol? In any case, I buy erythritol regularly and love it. It is an all-natural sugar alcohol that does not typically cause the same isues as other sugar alcohols (malitol and sorbitol will keep in the bathroom for HOURS, but I have never had a problem with erythritol and use it regularly).

Nope. Got a box of ZSweet in my desk drawer. It's erythritol.

Sugar alcohols are a MAJOR YMMV IMHO

For me erythritol, xylitol, splenda, equal ... no problems

However comma pause manitol, maltitol, sorbitol and the like are all a major no no for me, major laxative and for the syrup one (brain fart here) is a delayed reaction sugar spike *for me*

I ate some York Sugar Free Peppermint Patties earlier this week and had one of the worst cases of diarrhea I've ever had.

Ted, for some reason those are the worst for that. I can eat other sugar free candies & have minor stomach upset, but the peppermint patties cause major run-for-the-bathroom problems too.