Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mkay0626

Menstrual Question

10 posts in this topic

Okay so i know that this doesnt really have to do with pregnancy but can anyone tell me if their blood sugar climbs the roof when they are on their period and if so why... because ive noticed that when it tends to be that week my blood sugar climbs the roof and i cant tell if its just because of hormones and stress or if its something different... Ive heard that its because you loose blood and the insulin is in your blood stream but im still confused at the fact that this is typically the week that my blood sugars go CRAZY!!!:confused:

but does yours really climb? my sugar usually is better controlled, and have a few lows, could be because i hardly like to eat with the cramps tho..

Generally in the week before i get my period my insulin resistance climbs. i was told why at some stage but I cant remember..

Ya it climbs up into the 200/300s not sure why ... im just broken i guess haha ... thats what i hear all the time at least... i just cant figure out why it happens....:mad:

it has alot to do with hormones:

When you ovulate ( two weeks before period) your body starts to produce progesterone. IN the two weeks before your period, this is the main hormone that your body is pushing out. Any changes in hormones can affect insulin resistance and how insulin acts within your body.

Its always happened with me and the main reason i can tell? I only get a period once ever 3 months or so.. SO when it is coming i can tell by the increaase in my insulin resistance IE I need to use more insulin to have an affect.

mine goes up but not too high, do you eat more carbs before/during your cycle?? that contributes a little bit to mine. I'm just happy that i can actually predict when my cycle starts again. its been so crappy and irregular for so long, I had a period that lasted most of 2007thru 9/08 that was one big happy long period. i would get a 3-4 day break and then blam back on, i did get a 4 wk break once back in july 07, but that didn't last long.

I haven't noticed a trend during my period, but when I'm PMSing I am much more likely to hypo. I don't know how much of that could be reactive hypos, but it just makes PMS so much more fun than it already is. Sigh.

Mine normally would go high during my female cycle.

I've read several books that also claim that many females have the same problem.

My insulin pump nurse has often changed the amount of insulin I intake during that time period.

I haven't noticed a trend during my period, but when I'm PMSing I am much more likely to hypo. I don't know how much of that could be reactive hypos, but it just makes PMS so much more fun than it already is. Sigh.

Same here. Period week is okay, but PMS week I am literally STARVING -- I will eat everything in sight, forget my insulin half the time, and barely spike over 160. If I'm having a busy day and can't eat, I will wind up at 50 every day.