Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deercotn

Metformin and Weight Loss

52 posts in this topic

Has anyone else experienced weight loss while on metformin? I'm taking 500 mg 3x daily (with each meal).

I'm exercising but I suspect the weight loss may be largely due to metformin. Anyone else had this happen?

Why/how does metformin cause weight loss? NO CHEMISTRY LESSONS PLEASE-- just plain language explanations. Thanks.

It is my understanding that metformin works by helping your body better use the insulin you're producing. Insulin resistance can contribute to weight gain, esp. around the midsection, so by minimizing insulin resistance (by exercise and metformin) you may lose weight.

I lost weight when first diagnosed, due in part to significant lifestyle changes and metformin. I take 500 mg twice a day, and I don't see the weight loss anymore, probably because I am not as physically active as I was then.

Glyburide, on the other hand, can cause weight gain. I'm betting that its all the lifestyle changes you made that have made the most difference.

stinastina and golavi like this

I'd say definitely yes to that, noted in my first year taking Metformin.

Cindy Denning likes this

I've dropped 20 lbs in 3-4 months. Frankly, I'm shocked at how easily it has come off. The only "lifestyle" changes I've made are:

- taking my meds like I'm suppose to (3x rather than 1 or 0)

- walk/jog 2 miles 5-6 times a week

- low carb breakfast and eliminate/reduce snacks (this probably cuts a total of 50-80 carbs a day)

This just doesn't seem like it would be sufficient to drop 10% of my body weight so quickly when so many folks struggle to lose weight. That's why I was thinking maybe the metformin was the leading contributor.

I'd say definitely yes to that, noted in my first year taking Metformin.

"yes" to what? Metformin causing my loss?

"yes" to what? Metformin causing my loss?

This didn't happen to me, but my husband is thinner than he has ever been. He has lost so much weight on Metformin and he has had a severe weight problem, since he was in his teens. He just isn't hungry anymore. He looks great and is starting to give me a hard time about my weight.

stinastina likes this

Hard to tell for me, since I cut out most sweets, sugary sodas, sandwiches, etc. when I was diagnosed -- and that was when I also started metformin -- but I dropped 15 lbs in about 2 months. Another 10 since.

tOmMy and stinastina like this

I read that people, who use metformin, as I do, tend to lose weight. The person who wrote the article said that it is probably because merformin irritates the stomach. I have not lost weight and my stomach is not irritated. I guess people are different.

I read that people, who use metformin, as I do, tend to lose weight. The person who wrote the article said that it is probably because merformin irritates the stomach. I have not lost weight and my stomach is not irritated. I guess people are different.

I have read it is just decreased appetite. I know I have had no discomfort from its use and have less appetite, myself. Now if I can get off this lipogenic Actos ...

Generally, the more overweight you are to begin with, the easier it comes off.

I would guess that you have decreased you calorie intake during the time that you lost weight. The amount of weight loss attributable to metformin is fairly small, if I recall correctly. Something like 4 pounds average. I think the info is on the pharmaceutical data sheets for metformin at your manufacturer's website.

If you are wondering whether the extra doses you have taken ( I think that was you?) are interfering with your health, really, I think it would be good to chat with your pharmacist (especially if no one here is able to give you the sort of info you are looking for).

Also not mentioned here is that metformin suppresses gluconeogenesis, and the resultant insulin reduction benefits.

NO CHEMISTRY LESSONS PLEASE-- just plain language explanations. Thanks.

OK, heres a translation, but it can't be completely dumbed down. Metformin reduces or dampens the amount of glucose or energy your body generates internally (this goes on all the time as part of the body functioning). This means less insulin is required for the body to function without high blood sugars. So, your body releases less insulin.

In the absence of constant activity to burn up the energy, less glucose in the blood stream and less insulin, may equal less storage of the glucose as fat.

Also not mentioned here is that metformin suppresses gluconeogenesis, and the resultant insulin reduction benefits.

OK, heres a translation, but it can't be completely dumbed down. Metformin reduces or dampens the amount of glucose or energy your body generates internally (this goes on all the time as part of the body functioning). This means less insulin is required for the body to function without high blood sugars. So, your body releases less insulin.

In the absence of constant activity to burn up the energy, less glucose in the blood stream and less insulin, may equal less storage of the glucose as fat.

You'd be a good jr. hi science teacher! :T

I think it is the exercise and not the meds. I was put on Metforun 500 2X in January and did not one thing differently. Then in June, I got real and eat very right because I test all the time and am learning a lot. Have also started walking 2 miles most days. I have lost 20 pounds . . . I lost nothing on meds alone.

You'd be a good jr. hi science teacher! :T

That's pretty funny, I actually failed year 10 general science. :D

(So don't listen to a thing I say without double checking it... probably like you should with every jr hi science teacher!)

That's pretty funny, I actually failed year 10 general science. :D

(So don't listen to a thing I say without double checking it... probably like you should with every jr hi science teacher!)

Ask me about chemistry grades ... :eek: They actually were the one thing that kept me out of medical school, for which right now I am grateful!

Hello!! to everyone, I'm new to this forum and being a diabetic. I'm a diabetic 2 and on metformin 500mg 2x a day, being on this medication and walking 5 days out of the week I too have lost five pounds in a months time my doctors said that was good but I want to loss 15 to 20 pounds in a months time.

I don't think it necessarily makes you lose weight, but my doctor told me that Metformin is one of the only diabetes medications that doesn't cause weight gain. So maybe it's more lifestyle changes partnered with the fact that it doesn't cause weight gain unlike others such as Gluberide.

I was on Metformin for about a year (my doctor just switched me over to Actoplus Met) and it wasn't until I actually made lifestyle changes that I saw a change on the scale. But it's true for some that Metformin causes appetite loss and upset stomach (I'd randomly lose my appetite for about a week every few months).

stinastina likes this

Hello!!!Room!!! I wanted to introduct myself to this forum, my name is Lola and I need :eek: help anyway that I can get it with being a type 2 diabetic and on metformin 500mg 2x a day.

I lost 30 lbs in 1 year on Metformin. I am 5'4" and went from 150lbs to 120lbs which is my ideal weight. I truly believe that the Metformin contributed to my weight loss as well as my diet and exercise change. I just hope now, I don't lose anymore.

I've lost 15 lbs. in 10 weeks with very little exercise, and a low-carb high-fat diet. It about has to be the metformin in my case. I think it helps suppress appetite, but I don't have a clue what the physiological effects might be.

I've lost 15 lbs. in 10 weeks with very little exercise, and a low-carb high-fat diet. It about has to be the metformin in my case. I think it helps suppress appetite, but I don't have a clue what the physiological effects might be.

Thanks Granny.

In my case, I sure don't have a suppressed appetite. I STAY hungry most of the time........ :cool:

I'm curious, what have you found that is low carb but high fat? That sounds like something I could try......... :D

I do remember from back when I was first diagnosed, that when your blood sugar is high and stays high, that's simply a sign that carbs/energy/sugar is not getting into your body cells-- it's in your blood and going out in your urine. Your body is being starved. Since I've got my blood sugar under much, much better control I just didn't expect the weight loss. It has to be mostly the metformin. The relatively minor lifestyle changes I've made I don't think would explain the rapid weight loss I've experienced. :)

From wikipedia:

Indications

The main use for metformin is in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2, especially when this accompanies obesity and insulin resistance. Metformin is the only anti-diabetic drug that has been proven to protect against the cardiovascular complications of diabetes.[11] This was first shown in the United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study, a large study of overweight patients with diabetes.[12] Unlike the other most-commonly prescribed class of oral diabetes drugs, the sulfonylureas, metformin (taken alone) does not induce hypoglycemia.[13] Hypoglycemia during intense exercise has been documented, but is extremely rare.[14] It also does not cause weight gain, and may indeed produce minor weight loss.[15] Metformin also modestly reduces LDL and triglyceride levels.[16]

-Lloyd

Thanks Granny. I'm curious, what have you found that is low carb but high fat? That sounds like something I could try......... :D

Whoa baby! You just put butter or cream on everything! lol! i do well with bacon/egg/sausage breakfasts . . . I worked out a low carb biscuits recipe that I use with biscuits & gravy (of course make the gravy with cream - not milk!)

I'm using cream instead of milk for everything, and cutting it with water to make it less thick.

Last night I melted a chunk of cream cheese & diced up cooked shrimp in it . . . added some diced tomato & jalapenos. Just don't eat it on a high-carb cracker - that would wreck the whole idea!

I hope you'll find that higher fat with lower carbs has a positive effect on your high cholesterol. It has certainly proven true for me.

Sure sounds like a wonder drug to me!!! :D :D :D

From wikipedia:

Indications

The main use for metformin is in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2, especially when this accompanies obesity and insulin resistance. Metformin is the only anti-diabetic drug that has been proven to protect against the cardiovascular complications of diabetes.[11] This was first shown in the United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study, a large study of overweight patients with diabetes.[12] Unlike the other most-commonly prescribed class of oral diabetes drugs, the sulfonylureas, metformin (taken alone) does not induce hypoglycemia.[13] Hypoglycemia during intense exercise has been documented, but is extremely rare.[14] It also does not cause weight gain, and may indeed produce minor weight loss.[15] Metformin also modestly reduces LDL and triglyceride levels.[16]

-Lloyd

I definitely lost weight on metformin, although I wasn't overweight at all ... and I lost the weight even before I learned enough to do a good job with eating low carb. I was already active when diagnosed & didn't increase my activity level. For me, the weight loss was a consequence of taking metformin. Starting insulin in January has gradually caused me to gain about 6 pounds, which may not sound like much, but I'm concerned. A pound a month is 12 pounds a year & I can't afford to do that! I weigh 145 at 5'7" tall on a medium frame.