Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

What's the maximum amount of metformin a diabetic can take?

6 posts in this topic

Is there such a thing as a maximum dosage for metformin? I've been taking 2- 500 milligram tablets two times a day. I see some people here take less but I haven't seen anybody that takes more than the 2000 milligrams per day. Is that the maximum dose? It seems to be working well for me so far and since I've dropped the Actose I haven't seen much of a bump up in my Bg numbers. But if that should happen in the future, rather than go back on Actose (which I've decided will not happen again) can the metformin be increased to bring those numbers back down? Or is that the wrong function completely for metformin?

2500 / day is the max recommended.

I never saw a bump when quitting actos either!

2500 milligrams. That's good to know. I remember the endo told me that the Actose would be out of my system in 3 to 4 weeks. The weird thing is that all my numbers remained the same until the 4th week and then I started getting a small rise in them. Then they went down. I injured my knee by overzealous exercise and it is still smarting so I wonder if the higher numbers were a response to the injury?

2500 milligrams. That's good to know. I remember the endo told me that the Actose would be out of my system in 3 to 4 weeks. The weird thing is that all my numbers remained the same until the 4th week and then I started getting a small rise in them. Then they went down. I injured my knee by overzealous exercise and it is still smarting so I wonder if the higher numbers were a response to the injury?

Could be an injury response -- I know mine is high from my infection!

After your injury, did you have to stop or cut back on your exercise? I know for me that exercise (specifically aerobic) seems to really help to keep my numbers down.