Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kneedull

insulin taste

10 posts in this topic

I get a taste of insulin in my mouth after giving myself a shot near my belly button. Usually about 1 to 2 minutes later.

This happens every day and I don't really give it much thought. But I asked my doctor if I'm doing something wrong and he said he hasn't ever heard of it happening.

Is this a common occurrence for others after taking a shot?

Barb

Yes. Every so often I too get the taste of insulin in my mouth after bolusing. I don't know why. I assume it has something to do with the absorption.

I get a taste of insulin in my mouth after giving myself a shot near my belly button. Usually about 1 to 2 minutes later.

This happens every day and I don't really give it much thought. But I asked my doctor if I'm doing something wrong and he said he hasn't ever heard of it happening.

Is this a common occurrence for others after taking a shot?

Barb

Here is a good one, one time I bolus for a meal with my family and OTHERS could taste it! I think the odor is airborne and once breathed in you taste it. Does that make sense? They were all thinking I out insulin in the coffee. LOL

I get it, too. Not often, half the time. Insulin is supposed to go into the fatty tissue; but in order to reach the fatty tissue you have to go through the skin where there are blood vessels. I'm guessing at this...but in the process of the needle going through the skin a small amount of insulin is picked up by blood vessels or capillaries and enters the blood stream. A minute of circulation...and it flows through your tongue.

As to Poppy's suggestion that it might be from the odor, try plugging your nose up next time and see if it still does it. Taste is more dependant on smell than anything else...that's why your mouth is right under your nose. Imagine how confusing life would be had God placed your nose over your butt. :D