Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

How often do you get blood work done?

8 posts in this topic

By blood work I guess I mean things like your lipid profile and whatever else they check for when it is done. I had one done when I was in the hospital at dianosis and then another one done a month later by the endo to check for antibodies so he could type me correctly. Plus I had another lipid profile done. The only thing is that I had those tests done even though I hadn't fasted before getting them done. Don't know how much that affects the accuracy of the tests.

Anyway, I had my 3 month check up with my endo on Tuesday and he wants to see me again in 3 months but no mention was made about any more blood work being done and March is just a little less than my 1 year anniversary of getting my first bloodwork done at diagnosis. Is it necessary to get blood work done more often to know how I am doing in these areas?

I have been getting liver enyzmes every three mos, for now. And she seems to find other stuff to throw in ... lipid profile, calcium, renal panel ... I am sure things'll slow down once we quit tinkering with meds.

My pcp and endo have different interests with respect to blood work and I think my insurance limits (somewhat) the kinds of test that they can order and the frequency. I get lipids twice a year I think and A1c 3 times a year on average. They throw in other stuff seemingly on a whim once in a while. As long as the results are good, I don't begrudge them an extra vial of blood or 2.

Mike

I get A1c every three months, lipids usually on the same schedule, but occasionally skip one quarter & go on to the next. I recently asked my endo to check Vitamin B-12 & D levels (both were normal this time!) but she doesn't do it routinely. My PCP & endo share the data.

I get A1c every three months, lipids usually on the same schedule, but occasionally skip one quarter & go on to the next. I recently asked my endo to check Vitamin B-12 & D levels (both were normal this time!) but she doesn't do it routinely. My PCP & endo share the data.

Me too, on the sharing -- their hospital appears to have started online data access, earlier this year and everyone carries a laptop -- it is SO helpful! When I went to the Endo all my inpt records were accessible. Now they need to review them, and not just refer to em for questions! (Endo seemed surprised I was DKA when I mentioned it ... toward the end of appt!).

I get blood tests every quarter, metabolic test which includes a1c creatinine etc each time, added lipid panel every other (6 months)

Every three months..and it has to be fasting (12 hour fast). A1c, lipids, liver..the works. Sometimes it runs over a bit..like 4 months..but that's because I reschedule.