Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChristyJ

Alternative to Januvia

16 posts in this topic

I am currently taking 500mg TR Metformin. My BG is climbing and my doctor has prescribed Januvia. It is so expensive. Is anyone aware of another drug that helps your insulin become more effective? I also take 2 blood pressure meds and a statin.

Januvia messed my thyroid up and caused termporary hypothyroidism. Just what a type 2 needs LOL.. so I am on gliburide now. And gliburide works well with me. I take gliburide, Metformin + Bayetta.

Januvia messed my thyroid up and caused termporary hypothyroidism. Just what a type 2 needs LOL.. so I am on gliburide now. And gliburide works well with me. I take gliburide, Metformin + Bayetta.

I was considering Januvia -- it messed with your THYROID, though???? ACK.

I did not know it was still expensive, either ... (leans back toward insulin).

I was considering Januvia -- it messed with your THYROID, though???? ACK.

I did not know it was still expensive, either ... (leans back toward insulin).

Full price there is not a generic version at this time. I have been taking it for over a year and it has not messed with my thyroid.

I don't think insulin would be cheaper then Januvia either. Using my insurance (last year, I've not checked this years numbers), I would pay $25 over what I pay for Januvia.

That being said, I have been told by both my endo and primary that Januvia alone has a limited life. At some point it will stop working for you. Then it will be replaced or combined with other medications.

About 2 weeks ago my doctor gave me samples of Actos. It, along with taking insulin, seems to be working well for me ( I am waking up with 98 blood sugars as opposed to 198) I don't know how expensive it is, but it seems to be the best I have taken so far.

I did take Metformin and Glucotrol. I don't mind Metformin as long as there is a bathroom handy and I just read that Glucotrol might not be as safe as once thought. But the Actos and Insulin seems to be the best for me.

Full price there is not a generic version at this time. I have been taking it for over a year and it has not messed with my thyroid.

I don't think insulin would be cheaper then Januvia either. Using my insurance (last year, I've not checked this years numbers), I would pay $25 over what I pay for Januvia.

That being said, I have been told by both my endo and primary that Januvia alone has a limited life. At some point it will stop working for you. Then it will be replaced or combined with other medications.

Susan, still, as a Type 1.5, I would rather pay more for insulin, avoid further deterioration of my thyroid, and hope it is helping preserve my beta cell mass, when Januvia probably would not. ;)

About 2 weeks ago my doctor gave me samples of Actos. It, along with taking insulin, seems to be working well for me ( I am waking up with 98 blood sugars as opposed to 198) I don't know how expensive it is, but it seems to be the best I have taken so far.

I did take Metformin and Glucotrol. I don't mind Metformin as long as there is a bathroom handy and I just read that Glucotrol might not be as safe as once thought. But the Actos and Insulin seems to be the best for me.

Thanks for the info. I will discuss Actos with my physician. I have not gone on insulin yet. I tolerate Metformin fairly well but I can really identify with the "where is the bathroom syndrome."

Check out Blood Sugar 101 regarding Actos, as well. Actos and Avandia:

lower blood sugar by decreasing insulin resistance. They do this by causing the formation of new fat cells primarily on the arms, thighs, and butt. These new fat cells then take glucose out of the blood stream.

. . . the manufacturers' own prescribing information makes it clear that these drugs produce only a modest change in blood sugar and insulin levels, though possibly a bit more than Metformin.

I have put off using Actos for many years. But, no matter what I take including hugh amounts of insulin, metformin, with glucotrol, I could not get my BG down. This is the first time my morning BG is less than 190 in the last few years. I don't know which is worse having my bones break or losing my legs and eyesight. I guess it is a toss up on bad outcomes.

I'll take a look at gliburide. Thanks.

I have just quit taking Glipizide, when I read a recent alert that it caused more heart attacks and sudden deaths.

Do any of the type 2's just take insulin alone and does it work for you?

I am on Actos again trying to get back on track, but as soon as my numbers get better, I will get off it. My feet are swollen every night and I am gaining weight. Not to mention the night cramps.

Now Januvia I get results from. You can go to the Merck site and they have information on getting your medicine free if you qualify. Many pharmaceutical companies have similar programs.

Hi Guys,

Just been coughing badly lately and stopped Lisinopril and started something called Cozaar 2 days agao with Mucinex dm. Just got home from eating 3 pieces of KFC gril chicken with half a diet pepsi, feeling not well like dry mouth and food is stuck in the tummy, please help anyone.

Daniel

I have just quit taking Glipizide, when I read a recent alert that it caused more heart attacks and sudden deaths.

Do any of the type 2's just take insulin alone and does it work for you?

I was on met for 6 months than went to insulin only when i saw an endo for the first time My last two A1c on insulin only was 5.5 and 5.6 so insuluin works for me.