Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael_lambert

Sausage and Egg - With out the McMuffin

22 posts in this topic

Being a guy on the run all the time, i do find although i hope to stop but i do find my self on the road and forgetting breakfast.

What is a good or better fastfood breakfast option?

I was thinking a Sausage and Egg McMuffin but tossing out the McMuffin ( 1 Egg, sausage and Cheese )

At McDonalds, you can order a scrambled egg and an order of bacon (2 strips) for under $2....It's not on the menu, but you can order it. THat way, you're not tempted to have even one bite of that evil McMuffin!:D

I also often make a scrambled egg or omelette at night and up it in a microwavable dish to grab on my way out the door. I heat it at work and eat it at my desk.

sounds like your on the right track!! i find it a treat to order egg and sausage from there...i don't get the muffin!

some times at home i will make an egg on a thomas' light multi grain muffin...100 cal...26 carbs with 8 fiber....

susan

I actually get sausage egg and cheese on a muffin and eat the whole thing and never have a high sugar afterwards. English muffins don't have much in the way of carbs anyway.

Arg! That sounds so good, but sausage and I are not best of friends. when I do eat something from Mickey D's, it's usually just a couple scrambled eggs, cheese and bacon. I do miss the sausage but it's worth it to me to not have gastric upset after eating it.

I have trouble with sausage too. Fortunately, I was never a big fan. Bacon or Ham works fine for me though.

yea i love Bacon but it really hurts my feet if i eat more than a couple of slices a week.

Ham i am good with, Brought it for lunch today.. Slices of black forest ham and pickles :D

what is it about sausage you guys can't tolerate? is it a gut-related thing or a BS-related thing?

i'm very curious. and now i also want a sausage patty. thanks. LOL.

I think its the grease in the susage? When i make my own at home i tend to cook them in the oven and no grease, where at McD's they tend to toss them on a flat grill with some butter to cook them up.

I find that, for me, sausage triggers a "metformin moment.":eek: I have no problems with it blood-sugar-wise.

Now my dear what do you find eases that "Metformin moment"

I have had a couple of bouts with it and one day actually exceeded the daily recommended dosage of both Pepto and Imodiem and still could not get it under control.

Now my dear what do you find eases that "Metformin moment"

To be honest, avoiding the triggers is the best way treatment. I've never taken anything for them, just allowing them to "ahem...run their course." I'll admit that just the thought of what "might" happen keeps me on track a lot of the time.

It might be that you could tweak the timing of the metformin, maybe taking it a little later after the meal rather than with the meal...but I have no personal experience with this.

I take my metformin on an empty stomach most times..fortunately i'm not troubled by it much at all.

Till last night i did not even know it was a 'Metformin Moment" I just thought someone ahole had a voodoo doll or something with my name on it.

Seemed I always got the attack right before a important meeting when i am runing and now look back and see it was something from a drive through window :D

I got the following idea from my younger son who is a single Dad and he doesn't have a lot of time for fixing complicated meals. Depending on the amount of time you have before you have to leave for work, you could fix this the night before and 'nuke' it in the morning.

He takes either a whole wheat English muffin or a bagel, splits the muffin and butters both halves. Then he heats a frying pan on top of the stove and "toasts" his muffin or bagel (he doesn't have a toaster). When the bread is toasted he puts on a slice of low fat turkey lunch meat and a slice of low fat cheese and voila...a cheaper and slightly more healthy alternative to McD's Egg Muffin w/o the egg. I've found that you really have to read the nutrition labels on both English muffins and bagels as the size and carb counts differ greatly between manufacturers.

I think its the grease in the susage? When i make my own at home i tend to cook them in the oven and no grease, where at McD's they tend to toss them on a flat grill with some butter to cook them up.

After reading your description can't say I have the desire for susage any more:)

Then he heats a frying pan on top of the stove and "toasts" his muffin or bagel (he doesn't have a toaster).

buy that man a toaster!!!