Hammer

What drives you bananas?

598 posts in this topic

I saw a thread like this in another forum, so I thought I'd start one here.

There are hundreds of things that drive me bananas, but I'll just name a few here.

People who talk on their cell phones in public.....as if I really want to hear their phone conversation.(they should outlaw cell phones.)

This one seems to be something that everyone does, and I can't figure out why.

When you are driving on some high speed roadway, the guy in front of you is going to make a turn ahead, so they slow down in the lane they are in as they approach the turn or off ramp. If it's a right turn, they give you a turning lane that you turn into to slow down. If it's a left turn, they give you a turning lane or an off ramp to slow down in. Why do people slow down in the flow of traffic and cause everyone behind them to slam on their brakes?

They are slowing down as they approach the slowdown lane. What do they think the turning lane or ramp is for? If they maintain their speed till they get to the turning lane or exit ramp, the people behind them won't have to slow down.

Have you ever been driving on a high speed roadway, and suddenly, for no reason, have to jam on your brakes because the guy in front did? That's a chain reaction caused by people slowing down to make a turn. The guy slows down to make his turn, the guy behind him hits his brakes, the guy behind him has to hit his brakes harder, so on and so on, till everyone is slamming on their brakes.

Another thing that drives me bananas are people who take an infant to a movie theater and the kid cries through the entire movie. You should NEVER take an infant to a movie, for any reason. If you want to see the movie, then hire a babysitter. I didn't pay $10 to listen to a kid crying. At least some movies state that no children in strollers are allowed after 6pm.

i HATE when people are too lazy to put their grocery carts back in the corral, and leave them in the parking lot.

i also HATE when people don't signal their turns or lane changes— this to me is the epitome of laziness. all it requires is for you to move one finger, less than an inch in most cases!!

i also really don't understand unnecessary waste, overpackaging and most "disposable" products... and people/companies who don't make an effort to reduce, reuse, recycle, compost, think about their impact on the environment infuriate me!

i have many pet peeves...i'm an irritable person :) but those would be at the top of my list.

Biggest driving peeve:

The ones who mosey down the freeway on-ramp at 50 mph. How the heck can you merge with 70mph traffic if you won't speed up to 70mph going down the on-ramp? And how the heck can anyone BEHIND you get merged either?!!

(mebbe this is why I stay hidden in the backwoods on the 2-lane gravel roads, y'think? :D)

JanetP likes this

Biggest driving peeve:

The ones who mosey down the freeway on-ramp at 50 mph. How the heck can you merge with 70mph traffic if you won't speed up to 70mph going down the on-ramp? And how the heck can anyone BEHIND you get merged either?!!

(mebbe this is why I stay hidden in the backwoods on the 2-lane gravel roads, y'think? :D)

Granny, I think these drivers are usually uncomfortable driving. I know my mother drives that way. As long as the car is moving, she's satisfied. It doesn't matter what speed she is going, as long as she is moving. Fortunately, my mother doesn't drive much, and when she does, it's only a few miles to get to the store.(she turned 79 today).

JanetP likes this

i HATE when people are too lazy to put their grocery carts back in the corral, and leave them in the parking lot.

I agree, I hate that too. What I hate worse than that, is when I see someone with a shopping cart, rest it against someone else's car so that it doesn't move while they take out the groceries.

I have seen several times where a person was too lazy to push the cart all the way to the remote cart racks that they have placed around the parking lot. They push the cart part way there, then push it hard, hoping that it will stop at the cart rack. Instead, it rolls past the rack, and crashes into someone's car, making a big dent in the car. The person then just walks away and ignores it.

The owner of the car that the cart crashed into, parked away from everyone so as to avoid any chance of getting dinged from someone's car door. Now they have this big dent that some moron caused because they were too lazy to walk the cart all the way to the rack.

I have seen this happen on several occasions.

Granny, I think these drivers are usually uncomfortable driving. I know my mother drives that way. As long as the car is moving, she's satisfied. It doesn't matter what speed she is going, as long as she is moving. Fortunately, my mother doesn't drive much, and when she does, it's only a few miles to get to the store.(she turned 79 today).

Happy birthday to your mom! Same with my dad, Hammer . . . only he's 91 :eek: He was a very good driver in his day, but he's so cautious now that he creates a hazard.

Happy birthday to your mom! Same with my dad, Hammer . . . only he's 91 :eek: He was a very good driver in his day, but he's so cautious now that he creates a hazard.

Thanks Granny. Happy birthday to your dad! My mom was a really bad driver years ago, and we wouldn't let her drive.(she didn't want to anyway).

Back then, I was in the car with her when my stepfather was teaching her to drive. She scared me so bad that I would lay down on the back seat so I couldn't see what she was about to hit.:D (I was about 10 years old).

She's a lot better now.....she is more comfortable driving, which I think was the problem before. She was too nervous back then, and that caused her to make a lot of mistakes.

I can't start posting in this thread because I won't be able to stop.

I'm a pretty assertive (considered aggressive by some, I'm sure) driver. I'm sure that I'm many of you guys' pet peeve. :P

I hate it when people wait until the last second to merge out of a lane that's ending, even though it's clearly marked that the lane is ending ahead.

I hate it when people travel in the fast lane on the interstate, and SLOW DOWN when they come up next to someone going slower. You're in the PASSING LANE, that's what it's there for.

I hate it when people stop before they turn right when they have a green light / green arrow.

I hate it when people TAKE OFF from a light and get in front of you, and then drive 5-10 UNDER the speed limit.

I hate it when people turn out infront of you and then drive under the speed limit.

I hate it when people drive under the speed limit period.. I know this one's irrational. :P

Anyway, I'll stop. Sorry.

Moving away from driving, I hate it when people talk on their cell phones while they're paying at a cash register, ordering food, or doing something else when they have to interact with an associate.

I hate it when people wear their bluetooth headsets around all the time, even when they're not talking on them, nor do they plan to be talking on them in the immediate future. It doesn't look cool, it makes you look like a douchebag.. don't do it.

haha, I have to stop.. sorry

I don't drive so ... women who use multiple, scented products -- especially HAIRSPRAY. You smell em before you see em.

People who talk loudly in commuter buses, on cell phones, or not :eek: .

Since I work at a library desk, people who presume that they pay enough, in taxes or tuition, to entitle them to be rude and aggressive, and that it will get them what they want. (Or maybe I actually enjoy handling them ... :-D )

People telling me not to do something BEFORE I do it.

Yeah. I'm doing it anyway.

Art

Interesting thread and very therapwutic (:D ).

1. People with badly behaving children who just let them scream, hit, bite and in general, tantrum in public. :eek:

2. County road crews. Your tax $ at work, one doing the work, three watching. (they also drive out in the woods, take their shoes off and dangle their feet in the river for 3 hour "lunches" on our dime and on private property). :mad:

3. The fraud riddled cult of global warming. :banghead:

4. People (in the media) who insist on insulting conservatives by using the term "teabagger" (look it up, it's quite vile). :thumpdown

5. People who drive out to the beautiful wilderess and decide it's a good place to dump their garbage. :eek:

Thanks, I feel better all ready. :)

People telling me not to do something BEFORE I do it.

Yeah. I'm doing it anyway.

Art

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Good one.

And of course the "I told you so's," too.

What drives me bananas?

Bananas.

I loved the things before my diagnosis. I live in a banana-growing district. In season I pass road-side stalls where they practically give sweet small lady-fingers bananas away free; well, almost at 50c a hand. My next door neighbour used to give us a seemingly unlimited supply off his trees.

But they seem to have special super-duper-banana-carbs in them that cause my BGs to skyrocket if I so much as think about eating one. It is the only fruit I cannot eat in any portion size, no matter how small.

I accepted giving up mud cake, Pavlova and toffee. But I still miss my bananas *sniff*

PS The other thing I am surrounded by is sugar cane. On the other hand, there are also macadamias and avocados so it's not all bad news :)

Stl-T2 likes this

Bananas drive me bananas! :mad: I love them and I need so much insulin when I eat them. So I eat strawberries and dream they are bites of bananas. ;) Makes me want to lay the whole bunch of bananas on the floor and beat them with a Hammar!!! :D

andypoo likes this

Yes, I figured that a lot of people would respond that some aspect of driving, drives them bananas.

I go the speed limit. If the speed limit is 40mph, then I go 40mph....not 41 and not 39, but 40. Everyone, and I mean everyone speeds. I can turn out onto the country road that my little street connects with, and I can see that there is no one behind me. This road is 3 miles long. Before I get to the end of it, I'll have 4 or 5 cars behind me. They all flew up behind me, and are now tailgating me.

I've had some of them pass me on a double solid line, pass me on the shoulder, and some have turned on their high beams to try to get me to go faster. These idiots are the reason gas costs so much. The faster they drive, the more gas they waste. The more gas they waste, the higher the price goes.

It really bugs me when I have some idiot fly up behind me, tailgate me, then pass me in a no passing zone, then, several miles down the road, there he is in the gas and go place, buying a coffee and chatting with the girls behind the counter.

Several times I have had the last laugh. Early in the morning, on my way to work, I had some idiot fly up behind me, tailgate me, then pass me in a no passing zone. Several miles later, there he was, sitting on the shoulder of the road, pulled over by a cop with radar, giving him a speeding ticket. As I passed the idiot, I honked my horn and waved at him.:D You can't get a speeding ticket if you go the speed limit.

I hate it when the woman in front of me at the checkout waits until all of her groceries are rung up and bagged before she starts digging through her gigantic purse to find her checkbook.

I hate it when I am in line with people at a restaurant for ten minutes and they still dont know what they want when its their turn.

I absolutely get irate with people that continue shopping while they are being rung out, like I have nothing better to do than stand there while they shop.

Margie3 likes this

I hate it when I am in line with people at a restaurant for ten minutes and they still dont know what they want when its their turn.

Yes, that bugs me too. Years ago, I would stop into a Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee and a doughnut on my way to work. Invariably, I'd get behind some customer who had to stand there and stare at all of the doughnuts, and ask the waitress what each doughnut contained.

Okay, you go to a doughnut shop because you are in the mood for a doughnut. As you are driving there, you must know what type of doughnut you have an urge for, otherwise, you wouldn't be going to a doughnut shop. You may have an urge for something sweet, but you still have some idea of what doughnuts you like.

Most people like honey dips, chocolate frosted, marshmellow filled, chocolate filled, or plain. Does the guy really need to ask the waitress what the peanut butter filled donuts have in them? It says peanut butter, so why ask? You should be able to just walk up to the counter, buy what you need, and be out of the store in 2 minutes. There is a long line behind this guy, and the people are in a hurry to get to work.

The worst are the same type of people who drive up to a McDonald's window for breakfast and sit there reading the menu. I mean, come on, there are only a handful of things they offer for breakfast, is it really that hard of a decision? It's either eggs, pancakes, a Danish, or a sandwich. DUH!

How about the idiot driver that's going to, or coming home from work in heavy traffic, and they come to a toll booth, stop , put the car in park, reach into their pocket to get their wallet, take out the money, hand it to the toll collector, put the wallet back into their pants, put the car in drive, then drive off. They knew they were going to have to pay a toll a long way back. Couldn't they have the money out and ready when they got to the toll booth?

Here's another one....I was driving along a highway that had 4 lanes in each direction. There was no traffic at all going in my direction, so I was alone on the highway. It was the middle of the day. This highway was going to end about a mile up ahead. The two right lanes would turn into an on ramp to another expressway. The next lane would also become an on ramp to aother expressway. The fast lane that I was in, was the only lane that went straight, and I was going straight.

This guy came flying up behind me, tailgated me, flashed his lights at me, then finally passed me on the right, slowing down to glare at me because I wouldn't pull over to let him pass. He then passed me, pulled in front of me, and sped up....for about ½ mile, then he pulled all the way over into the slow lane so that he could take the off ramp to the next expressway.

This moron expected me to pull over so that he could pass me, drive another ½ mile, then pull over into the slow lane and get off the highway. The whole expressway was empty! Couldn't he have just gotten into the slow lane and sped down it till he reached his off ramp?:confused:

This bugs me, too ... I think the term is, "like a kid in a candy store."

My husband does it. He also will PLACE AN ORDER with a server, then change it once or even twice. TACKY. I have done my best to coach him out of that, and he tries.

The weird thing is, we were out for dinner with his brother and I realized he does the SAME DAN-G THING. Is it genetic, or learned ... as a product of growing up poor and not getting to make many choices?

Yes, that bugs me too. Years ago, I would stop into a Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee and a doughnut on my way to work. Invariably, I'd get behind some customer who had to stand there and stare at all of the doughnuts, and ask the waitress what each doughnut contained.

Okay, you go to a doughnut shop because you are in the mood for a doughnut. As you are driving there, you must know what type of doughnut you have an urge for, otherwise, you wouldn't be going to a doughnut shop. You may have an urge for something sweet, but you still have some idea of what doughnuts you like.

Most people like honey dips, chocolate frosted, marshmellow filled, chocolate filled, or plain. Does the guy really need to ask the waitress what the peanut butter filled donuts have in them? It says peanut butter, so why ask? You should be able to just walk up to the counter, buy what you need, and be out of the store in 2 minutes. There is a long line behind this guy, and the people are in a hurry to get to work.

The worst are the same type of people who drive up to a McDonald's window for breakfast and sit there reading the menu. I mean, come on, there are only a handful of things they offer for breakfast, is it really that hard of a decision? It's either eggs, pancakes, a Danish, or a sandwich. DUH!

How about the idiot driver that's going to, or coming home from work in heavy traffic, and they come to a toll booth, stop , put the car in park, reach into their pocket to get their wallet, take out the money, hand it to the toll collector, put the wallet back into their pants, put the car in drive, then drive off. They knew they were going to have to pay a toll a long way back. Couldn't they have the money out and ready when they got to the toll booth?

I am the most annoying driver on the planet. and I do most of these things on the driving list.

so let me apologize.

I drive like I am going nowhere on a sunday most of the time.

it gets me out of drving though, usually someone else offer to drive to avoid wanting to strangle me.

not much really annoys me alot. I lalalalala through life.

I am the annoyee, and I own it.

that having said, Taylor Swifts new CD annoys me.

can't avoid it anywhere though.

and as we know, I am annoyed that people live without healthcare in the US, alot of people. again, I become the annoyee around this issue.

Yes, I figured that a lot of people would respond that some aspect of driving, drives them bananas.

I go the speed limit. If the speed limit is 40mph, then I go 40mph....not 41 and not 39, but 40.

Coincidence is an amazing thing. I've driven in your country only three times. LA-SF in March 2003; New Orleans-Washington DC in April 2003 and Buffalo-Buffalo via New England, Quebec and Ontario in 2006.

And I appear to have encountered you in front of me on the roads every single time...

Incidentally, in one of my previous lives I was a cab-driver :)