Hammer

What drives you bananas?

590 posts in this topic

One thing that annoys me is arriving at the Pharmacy to pick up my prescription, only to find out that the Pharmacy "owes" me some portion of the medicine. And this is after I've made a prior phone call to see if said prescription is ready.

Another thing that bugs me is not being able to eat bananas while watching my husband gobble them down hungrily. :(

Non-handicapped people parking in handicapped spaces

People who park in front of the door to the store instead of a parking space two car lengths away

People who block the handicapped ramp to the sidewalk with their illegally parked cars

People who practically run you down inside the mall and don't even pause to appologize

and in the driving department, people who don't know how to use the center lane in a five lane road, i.e. for left turns.

No, I'm not handicapped, but I have a family member who is, and I see these infractions all the time.

People who park in front of the door to the store instead of a parking space two car lengths away

.... Do you have kids at my kids' school??? :D

Two things to do with 'instructions', both sort of related.

1. This one seems to apply exclusively to women. I can either be asked/told to solve something for you, OR you can tell me how you want it done. Not both!

2. If I am instructing you on how to do something, don't keep asking questions. If I'm telling you how to do something, I probably know how to do it myself. Just do what you're told and it'll be fine. If you want to experiment with finding a solution yourself, don't get me involved!

Then various others:

- If you tell me you'll be happy with whatever decision I make, don't then take issue with the decision or suggest alternatives that I 'should' have done instead.

- When exiting a building, the correct procedure is to either make a decision on which direction you will then proceed and then exit the door, taking that direction OR completely vacate the door and THEN make your decision. If you're still in the doorway and haven't decided, it's too late. Get out of everyone else's way!

- Usually after putting things through a check-out in a store, some sort of money is usually required by the person behind the till. Having the money in your hand is an excellent way of facilitating your transaction. This is not the time to recatalogue a year's worth of receipts, or the time for you to wonder which pocket you left your wallet in, or indeed, which pair of trousers.

- Television and movies are not interactive mediums. If you want the show on stage to respond to your constructive feedback, you should go to the theatre.

And one final one, aimed again at women :D

TV shows and movies are generally aimed at appealing to a broad spectrum of people and as such have relatively simple plots to follow. Many movies and TV shows also use techniques such as slow explication, whereby the entirety of the story becomes apparent as the show progresses. So if you don't understand quite what is going on just yet, stop asking me questions like 'why did that character do that' and just watch the bloody film! Presuming we're both watching the same movie, I don't actually have any further insight into what's going on than you do.

I agree with all the annoying drivers.

Sometimes I think people should know where they are going. Its like when someone has your state tags and there way in the left lane and 1/2 mile or less from the exit they take all the lanes to get all the way right.

The worst is knowing when the lane ends people fly by in the left to cut you off in the right.

I hate cell phones.

People talk on them everywhere going down the road,in stores, movies, restaurants. I usually leave mine in my pocket or the car. I only call someone to say hey theres no ____ do you want me to get _____ instead? Or something like that.

I hate when I go to workout at Curves and the place can be empty or just a few people and the person has to start one machine/pad to your right/left. Spread out I like my space.

Oh dear...!

As for driving, I do more of it now (commute-wise) than I ever have (as a compromise in living location) so I try my best to not let much get to me on the road - otherwise my blood sugar, pressure, you name it would suffer greatly! I absolutely hate being hurried so I always give myself ample time to get wherever I need to be so no worries on the time front, usually. I listen to something I like and take a different route often, so there are different things to see and I don't bother worrying much about anyone else's driving incapacity :)

As for general irritation - oh, you know, the usual. Close minded people, willfully ignorant people, those that are generally anti-progressive. That about sums it up.

Two things to do with 'instructions', both sort of related.

1. This one seems to apply exclusively to women. I can either be asked/told to solve something for you, OR you can tell me how you want it done. Not both!

2. If I am instructing you on how to do something, don't keep asking questions. If I'm telling you how to do something, I probably know how to do it myself. Just do what you're told and it'll be fine. If you want to experiment with finding a solution yourself, don't get me involved!

Then various others:

- If you tell me you'll be happy with whatever decision I make, don't then take issue with the decision or suggest alternatives that I 'should' have done instead.

- When exiting a building, the correct procedure is to either make a decision on which direction you will then proceed and then exit the door, taking that direction OR completely vacate the door and THEN make your decision. If you're still in the doorway and haven't decided, it's too late. Get out of everyone else's way!

- Usually after putting things through a check-out in a store, some sort of money is usually required by the person behind the till. Having the money in your hand is an excellent way of facilitating your transaction. This is not the time to recatalogue a year's worth of receipts, or the time for you to wonder which pocket you left your wallet in, or indeed, which pair of trousers.

- Television and movies are not interactive mediums. If you want the show on stage to respond to your constructive feedback, you should go to the theatre.

And one final one, aimed again at women :D

TV shows and movies are generally aimed at appealing to a broad spectrum of people and as such have relatively simple plots to follow. Many movies and TV shows also use techniques such as slow explication, whereby the entirety of the story becomes apparent as the show progresses. So if you don't understand quite what is going on just yet, stop asking me questions like 'why did that character do that' and just watch the bloody film! Presuming we're both watching the same movie, I don't actually have any further insight into what's going on than you do.

You have obviously married a forgotten sister of my wife's back in the old country.

Or do mothers secretly teach this to their daughters as secret women's business (ducking)?

I am the most annoying driver on the planet. and I do most of these things on the driving list.

so let me apologize.

I drive like I am going nowhere on a sunday most of the time.

it gets me out of drving though, usually someone else offer to drive to avoid wanting to strangle me.

not much really annoys me alot. I lalalalala through life.

I am the annoyee, and I own it.

that having said, Taylor Swifts new CD annoys me.

can't avoid it anywhere though.

and as we know, I am annoyed that people live without healthcare in the US, alot of people. again, I become the annoyee around this issue.

That's okay Kelli, we love you anyway.:)

-People who clear their throats all the time (i'm not talking about when they are sick)

-People who click their nails

-People who use "uh" or "like" in sentences

-Men who leave the seat up

-TV commercials that are louder than the TV shows

-The way CDs are wrapped...good grief, there is no reason for all that tape!

-Cars that take up 2 parking spaces

-Being called "honey" or "sweetie" by cashiers or sales people that don't know me (it may be a southern/regional thing)

:D Boys who never PUT the seat UP ... (I have one, training is not effective to date). 5 people in the house -- he uses one bathroom, the other 4 use MINE.

Being called Ma'am by medical students ... :eek: Makes me feel like an old lady even if I AM.

People in cars who insist that I "go ahead and cross first" as a pedestrian, no matter how many other cars are coming at me.

Adding to the post about the checkout line at the food store: If you are in the express lane that says, "20 items or less", then don't get in that line if you're buying 20 items and have a coupon for each item. It says "Express" for a reason.

I hate coupons, and never use them. When I was married, my wife always used them, and if she would send me to the store, she would try to give me one to use, which I threw in the trash. She'd get upset that I threw it away....after all, it was for 50¢ off.

I replied to her: "What good does that do? I mean are you really that interested in saving money? Then how come you want to save 50¢ on this food item, yet during the week, you call your brother long distance and talk to him all day? That one call costs me $100. If you have that much to talk to him about, drive down to see him. It's only an hour drive, and you could talk to him for free for the whole day....and you want me to use a coupon to save 50¢?"

There is nothing more irritating than getting behind someone at the food store who just bought $500 worth of food (4 shopping carts), then hands the cashier 100 coupons that requires three people to sift through to make sure she is using the coupons for the correct purchase.:mad:

I also refuse to use those "Self Serve" checkout machines. I went to a K-Mart once to buy a gallon of anti-freeze. When I went to check out, the guy at the checkout area directed me to one of those machines. I resisted, but they only had one cashier line open, and the line was long, so he was directing everyone to the machines. I did what it said, and when it rang up the price it was $50...for one gallon of anti-freeze. I complained to the guy, so he cleared the machine and tried again. Again it said $50. The guy tried another machine....it wouldn't work. He tried it several times and it wouldn't work. He tried a third machine, it also didn't work. I grabbed the anti-freeze, and got into the cashier's line.

It was a long time after that before I tried to use those machines again. I was buying ten, 2 liter bottles of Diet Sprite. The sign said 15 items or less, so I figured I was good. The machine tells you to put the item on the tray so that it can identify it, so I did. You then have to remove the item and place it into one of the bags that have sensors under it to let it count the items. I did this. After having two of the bottles weighed, I started another bag.(there are three bags on this machine, each with sensors under them). After I filled three bags, I went to remove one bag and the machine indicated an error. Apparently you have to place all the items you are buying into the three bags, then pay for it. I couldn't do that since I still had four items left.

I called to the clerk who oversees the machines (in case someone has a problem). She came over and I told her the problem. She acted a bit indignant, and she said that I was only supposed to buy 15 items or less. I told her that I was only buying 10 items. She said that they were too big and heavy for the machine. I said that it doesn't say not to buy big or heavy items with this machine....maybe they should post a sign or something, so I don't waste my time with this piece of junk. I had to pay for the first six bottles, then start a new purchase and buy the last four. Never again...

Adding to the post about the checkout line at the food store: If you are in the express lane that says, "20 items or less", then don't get in that line if you're buying 20 items and have a coupon for each item. It says "Express" for a reason.

I know what you mean hammer...this is a pet peeve of mine too. However, I was in Kroger last weekend, there were several lines, I had a buggy full, and the cashier at the express lane called me over to come through her lane, as she had no customers at the time........as she was ringing up my groceries, a man came up behind me with 4-5 items...gave me a really ugly look.

Now when this happens to me and i'm irritated, i'll hopefuly wonder if the clerk call that person over because no one was in her line at the time.

I NEVER use those self serve checkouts. They want you to do the checkout clerk's job, with NO discount for doing their job for them.

Recently I went to a Home Depot near me. I had about $300 of stuff in the cart. When I went to the checkout, the only lanes open were the self serve. I left the cart in the middle of the isle and in a real LOUD voice said;"The #### with this! I am going to Lowes!"

Margie3 likes this

I know what you mean hammer...this is a pet peeve of mine too. However, I was in Kroger last weekend, there were several lines, I had a buggy full, and the cashier at the express lane called me over to come through her lane, as she had no customers at the time........as she was ringing up my groceries, a man came up behind me with 4-5 items...gave me a really ugly look.

Now when this happens to me and i'm irritated, i'll hopefuly wonder if the clerk call that person over because no one was in her line at the time.

That has happened to me many times. I go to the food store at weird times, so they are usually empty, but sometimes, I'll go at maybe 7am, so the store is slowly getting busy.

I've also been waved over to the express lane with a full shopping cart, and then someone came up behind me with a few items. I have had people say indignantly, "You know, the sign says 15 items or less." Usually the cashier will speak up and say that she told me to come over. If she doesn't, I get irritated, and depending on my mood, I might say, "Do you really think that I couldn't read the sign? Do you think that I WANT to be in this line? Did it occur to you to look around and notice that the other checkout lanes have long lines, and that maybe, since no one was in this line, they decided to try and move some people through here? Or are you just stupid?":D

Then again, if I'm in a good mood, I'll just say that I was told by the cashier to move into this line.

I NEVER use those self serve checkouts. They want you to do the checkout clerk's job, with NO discount for doing their job for them.

Recently I went to a Home Depot near me. I had about $300 of stuff in the cart. When I went to the checkout, the only lanes open were the self serve. I left the cart in the middle of the isle and in a real LOUD voice said;"The #### with this! I am going to Lowes!"

I have found that Home Depot and Lowe's always have at least one cashier at all times, but they are usually in the contractor checkout area. I guess that's because in that area, people may be buying a bunch of lumber or whatever, and that couldn't be checked out with the machines.

I always use that cashier. I have had the cashier that oversees the machines, seeing some customers waiting in the regular cashier's line, grab your basket or cart, move it up to a machine, and start using the machine for you....usually saying something like, "You know, we do have these machines for you to use!"

A clerk did that to me once, and I grabbed the basket back from them and told them no thanks, I refuse to use those machines. They said that it was more convenient. I said, for who, the store?

i don't like using self serve lanes either. Why bother having cashiers if you're not gonna use 'em? another thing is i thought you left school able to do basic maths, english ( written AND read) and some other subjects? why then do big chain supermarkets insist on employing people who find it hard to tie their shoes in the morning or even speak??

I love the self-check-out lines, but I was a cashier at a grocery store for about 3 years, so I guess I'm used to it.

Although, I must say, those machines are sloooo--ooo..oooooowww.

When I first started cashiering, we had charts of how "fast" each cashier was, and how many items per minute they could ring up. The first systems we had, I was always in the top 3 with something like 40-45 items per minute.

We got new systems, and I dropped to 30-35 because the systems were so much slower (WINDOWS based.. go figure).

Those self checkout items, your'e lucky if you can get 3 or 4 items scanned in 60 seconds.

Radio drives me bananas, i will turn it off at first given chance!

I can't stand Jason Mraz, Rhianna, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha or Katy Perry, they make me want to throw up!

I hate it when driving on a highway and someone overtake you to turn off the highway 2 seconds later- it's not just really stupid but also highly dangerous and totally illegal!

It annoys me like **** when people insist on taking their HUGE baby stroller onto the already VERY full bus or train, forcing people to pretty much hang from the ceiling to give space to said baby stroller:mad: Take the next bus or train for crying out loud! Or at least plan your travel to NOT travel in rush hour if it can be avoided!

And then we have the usual "food nazis":eek:

I don't mind the self check outs.....I can be sure I pay the right price. I do hate it when the cashier goes so fast I can't watch the prices.....just this week, I barely caught my green peppers being rang up for $3 more than they were priced.

I hate when people block the grocery aisles, or walk down the wrong side.

Hammer, I use lots of coupons and save lots of money doing it. That is why I have the money to call someone and talk all day if I want to.

Generally I am very tolerant of other's shortcomings, because I have so many of my own...even the grocery aisle blockers might just be having a bad day. The cashier who rang up the wrong price was probably told to speed up by his boss. :)

If someone/something irritates me most of the time, I just don't have them/it in my life. Life is too short.

- People who complain :D

- The fact that I know a really effective use for complaining

- Human infestation of Earth a.k.a. overpopulation

- People who ascribe primacy to secondary problems which result from overpopulation

- People who deny the need to deal with overpopulation or shy from the task

- Fear and mongers

- Deficits of love

- Deficits of reliable knowledge

- The U.S. National Debt (link)

- Various aspects of biology

- Unfairness

- Zooey Deschanel and the fact that she is either not stalking me, or being way too sneaky about it

- The limits of my influence

- What currently passes for democracy, capitalism, religion and all known alternatives to them

- How unfunny I am in print versus in person

- Pituitary adenomas

- Unnecessary complexity

- Tobacco subsidies

- The Chinese government

- The institution of marriage

- Nonfood in disguise

- Inartful expression and inelegant solutions

I called to the clerk who oversees the machines (in case someone has a problem). She came over and I told her the problem. She acted a bit indignant, and she said that I was only supposed to buy 15 items or less. I told her that I was only buying 10 items. She said that they were too big and heavy for the machine. I said that it doesn't say not to buy big or heavy items with this machine....maybe they should post a sign or something, so I don't waste my time with this piece of junk. I had to pay for the first six bottles, then start a new purchase and buy the last four. Never again...

Not that it's going to make your experience in the self-checkout lanes any better or make you want to use them...but there's a button for heavy stuff or bulky items (like lots of soda). It allows you to scan it and put it back in your cart w/out having to put it in a grocery bag (usually called "Skip Bagging" or something like that).

Personally, I don't mind the self-checkout lanes but will only use them if I have a few things or if my daughter's with me (she loves them, she's 5). Cashiers are way faster.

One thing that really drives me bananas is when people snap their gum.

Oh yeah, and people who eat YOUR food out of the refrigerator at work. And then leave you a note saying they ate your food because they were really, really hungry.

Adults who can't use your/you're and there/their/they're correctly. This is basic English that you should have had a solid grasp on by age 10. It gets even worse if two or more are used in the same sentence and spelled the same way, ie, "Please remember your driving your car tomorrow." To me, these words are not even pronounced the same way.

Margie3 likes this

People telling me not to do something BEFORE I do it.

Yeah. I'm doing it anyway.

Art

Are you definitely sure we aren't related?!?! LOL

What really irritated me the other day was the server at one of our favorite restaurants. She found out I was diabetic and then proceeded to ask me "Should you be eating that?" or "How long have you been eating that? It's not good for you". Excuse me but I know what I can eat and can't eat. :mad:

I work in retail and those who think the closing time does not apply to them. If it's closing time or we have made the closing announcement, it's time for you to get your items to the checkout. It's not time to be "just looking". Also, don't stand there and converse with someone in English and then act like you didn't understand that it was closing time !!! (No offense meant here).