Hammer

What drives you bananas?

598 posts in this topic

It annoys me like **** when people insist on taking their HUGE baby stroller onto the already VERY full bus or train, forcing people to pretty much hang from the ceiling to give space to said baby stroller:mad:

Amen. And it is always the youngest mothers who have the "Mercedes" strollers, and they ALWAYS have an enormous QT cup full of sugary goo to spill all over the buses, (or STORES) too.

I was this old mom, I only used an umbrella stroller and then only if I knew the kid would not WALK instead.

People who ask you a question and then when you answer them restate the question again, AS a question, as if this time it will be a different answer. Sometimes they will do this several times, and they don't bother rewording it, they just restate it as if you didn't hear it.

Adults who can't use your/you're and there/their/they're correctly. This is basic English that you should have had a solid grasp on by age 10. It gets even worse if two or more are used in the same sentence and spelled the same way, ie, "Please remember your driving your car tomorrow." To me, these words are not even pronounced the same way.

This one bothers me...but I have seen teachers doing it. My son got an A+ on a paper he did last year, the paper was for college English credit, and I counted this mistake 4 times. :dontknow:

People who ask you a question and then when you answer them restate the question again, AS a question, as if this time it will be a different answer. Sometimes they will do this several times, and they don't bother rewording it, they just restate it as if you didn't hear it.

Along the same lines, when some asks you a question that requires a yes or no answer, like,"Can you do this for me?", and you reply with a "No.", they ask, "What do you mean, no?" (I usually reply back, "What part of no don't you understand?")

This is probably something that most people will never experience, and when I did, it was....well....I guess it was annoying, but in a different way.

I went out to dinner with my daughter and her husband. She wanted me to try this restaurant that they had gone to several times before, because she thought I'd like the menu, which I did.

The waitress was what annoyed me. My daughter had warned me about her, but I didn't think it was any big deal....till she waited on us. It wasn't that she was a bad waitress, it was that she was....I don't know....I guess I would have to say, too enthusiastic.(maybe she drank too many lattes, I don't know.)

What was annoying was her attitude. I mean, when she came over to the table, it was, "HELLO! MY NAME IS SALLY!" She said it like I we were movie stars and she was a huge fan.

Okay, that wasn't so bad, but when you placed your order, like if I said, "I'd like the Porterhouse steak." She would clap her hands very fast (fingers pointing straight up, hands at chin level) and say, "Oh GOODY, GOODY! THAT IS OUR BEST STEAK. I KNOW YOU WILL LIKE IT!"

She would do this for several of the things we ordered. It was as if she was giddy with excitement the whole time she waited on us. She was a nice lady (she looked to be in her 50's), and I guess I shouldn't be annoyed, but she was just too happy, and she got too excited about taking an order. People don't get that excited about taking your food order. It just seemed out of place. I guess I don't expect cheers and applause when I order food.:D

Oh, I've got another one!

People who ask for your opinion on something and then get upset when your opinion isn't the same as their's - because they weren't really asking for your opinion, they were looking for you to validate their opinion.

This is probably something that most people will never experience, and when I did, it was....well....I guess it was annoying, but in a different way.

I went out to dinner with my daughter and her husband. She wanted me to try this restaurant that they had gone to several times before, because she thought I'd like the menu, which I did.

The waitress was what annoyed me. My daughter had warned me about her, but I didn't think it was any big deal....till she waited on us. It wasn't that she was a bad waitress, it was that she was....I don't know....I guess I would have to say, too enthusiastic.(maybe she drank too many lattes, I don't know.)

What was annoying was her attitude. I mean, when she came over to the table, it was, "HELLO! MY NAME IS SALLY!" She said it like I we were movie stars and she was a huge fan.

Okay, that wasn't so bad, but when you placed your order, like if I said, "I'd like the Porterhouse steak." She would clap her hands very fast (fingers pointing straight up, hands at chin level) and say, "Oh GOODY, GOODY! THAT IS OUR BEST STEAK. I KNOW YOU WILL LIKE IT!"

She would do this for several of the things we ordered. It was as if she was giddy with excitement the whole time she waited on us. She was a nice lady (she looked to be in her 50's), and I guess I shouldn't be annoyed, but she was just too happy, and she got too excited about taking an order. People don't get that excited about taking your food order. It just seemed out of place. I guess I don't expect cheers and applause when I order food.:D

she was probably all coked up... rampant in the restaurant world...

she was probably all coked up... rampant in the restaurant world...

I thought about that at the time, but it didn't seem likely. I say that because, first, the place was a smallish bar/restaurant.....it wasn't a high dollar place, so she couldn't be making much money. She wasn't a young woman, and I wouldn't think that someone her age, working for low wages, would fit the image of a coke head.

Also, she didn't seem spaced out....she just seemed overly enthusiastic. She was attentive to our table throughout our meal, and she took care of whatever we needed. She was just too happy.

Oh, and every time my daughter had gone there for lunch or dinner, this woman was the same way. I wouldn't think that a coke head, working for low wages, could afford to be high that often.

Got another one, when you call me to ask for my help with something. You admit you don't know what is wrong which is a large part of why you are calling. you SAY you are doing what I ask you to do but it is readily apparent you aren't. Then complain that I'm not helping you.

Or worse, you don't even bother with the pretense of saying you're doing what I ask but STILL wish to complain about the problem you are having and how I'm not helping you with it, despite me PLEADING with you to read something off the screen or click a button that would tell me what is wrong, and yes expect me to ridicule you among my friends FOREVER when you refuse to check if the power cord is snug to the wall and computer unit before bringing it in because it will not turn on and then I plug it into the wall and it fires right up... after I explain that vibration and not you being dumb would likely cause the power cord to jump out of the unit.

Great topic!!

1. I HATE people who don't have the decency to clean off their keyboard when they put in a call for a tech. People do ALL sorts of gross stuff in the privacy of their cubicals..food, mucus, makeup..and mystery gunk caking their keyboards:puke:

2. People who tailgate me when I slow down to turn into my driveway!

3.People who find it necessary to suggest that I loose weight. "oh gee..thanks for pointing that out, i havn't looked in a mirror for 30 years and when the doc said i am obese i thought he meant i'm tall"

4. People that holler into their cell phones on the bus.

5. People who let their dogs **** on my front lawn (some day I swear I'm going to let my two huge dogs out to teach them a lesson).

6. Telemarketers and door to door salesman (the ones who choose to ignore the beware of dog sign usually opt to leave when I open the door and they see the very big dogs i am holding by their collars;)

i could go on and on :eek:

I can't help myself. I get really irritated when

• Someone says "her and I went there" (instead of she and I).

• Or when they pronounce nuclear as NOO-cyu-lar.

• Or say prostrate cancer instead of prostate.

• Or who spell "lose" as loose ( as in I want to loose weight. For the guilty, you want to LOSE weight so your clothes will be loose).

Over the years I've learned not to correct people as I am told it is rude to do so. But it is so-so-so hard! So this thread gave me a chance to get it out.

Oh and when a cashier comes over to your long line and invites people to her newly-opened checkout and the people behind you go before you have a chance to. The cashier should insist that she'll take the next person in line.

1. When people choose to pass on the right when a lane to the left is open.

2. Mis-aimed headlights.

3. An epitome of laziness: when drivers consistently don't use their turn signals.

4. The improper use of id est (i.e.) when exempli gratia (e.g.) should have been used instead. These abbreviations are often not interchangeable.

5. People (usually men) who speak loudly most all the time - on their phones, in meetings, in restaurants, etc., as if they never learned what an "inside voice" is.

6. The gross over-commercialization of America, and worse, how often I myself buy in to it.

7. The general "spirit of entitlement" that seems to be prevalent in later generations. Not everyone can be number one, and you can't have whatever you want without earning it.

8. When people cut down Windows, yet have never tried MacOS or Linux, and have no compelling reason preventing them from doing so (e.g. job or school requirements.) This is merely whining and hypocrisy.

9. The "nanny state" way of governing: If I want to smoke cigarettes and eat trans fats, SO BE IT! It is my decision, and my body. The preceding example makes the assumption that I am not going to stick others with the potential medical costs that may arise as a consequence of my decision.

Just a few .. :eek:

I can't help myself. I get really irritated when

<snip>

[*]Or say prostrate cancer instead of prostate.

But what if my cancer makes me want to lie down for a while? :)

Oh and when a cashier comes over to your long line and invites people to her newly-opened checkout and the people behind you go before you have a chance to. The cashier should insist that she'll take the next person in line.
I totally agree with that one.

I stopped getting up-tight about spelling when I started posting on American groups. All those missing u's (colour, honour etc) and off-centre r's.

Have you ever read Kaos in ce klasrum?

When some people in the right and the left hand lanes are driving the exact same speed, typicallly below the speed limit, next to each other and I can't pass.

Ok, not driving related but it drives me bananas when .....

Advertising people decide a car is elegance personified, cars are people the can't personify anything!

The price of petrol/gas is shown as something like 124.1 cents (124.9) per litre. Next time I buy petrol I'm buying 2 litres = 248.2 cents, I'll be paying with 250 cents and I want my 1.8 cents back!

Signs outside restaurants, sandwich bars advertising FRESH food, d'uh, it better be feckin' fresh. Or "Fresh sandwichs made daily" are stale sandwichs also made?

TV stations who insist on showing a trailer for a program right before they air the program

TV continuity announcers who seem to take pleasure in telling you what is going to happen in the show you are about to watch.

People who don't turn in the proper lane.

There are two right turn lanes. Your in the most right lane when you turn you to into the most right lane.

People who don't turn in the proper lane.

There are two right turn lanes. Your in the most right lane when you turn you to into the most right lane.

Further, when people make a right turn directly in to the far lane of a multi-lane road, even if there is only one right-turn lane. If you need to be in the left lane after you turn, turn first in to the right lane, then signal and move over to the left. This is a cause of collisions, particularly when there is also oncoming traffic turning left at the same time as the person turning right- if the right-turner turns directly in to the far lane (which is where the left turning person should be going) or the left-turner turns in to the right lane at the same time, there will be a collision.

Oooh here's one that really gets me: When people turn on their high-beam headlights in fog at night. I just don't get how they can't see that when they turn them on, they can see LESS than when the low beams are on. It is immediately apparent, cause and effect, so why do they keep doing it? I was even taught in driver's education that you don't use high beams in the fog, and it is printed in our state's driver's guide:

Use the low beams in fog or when it is snowing or

raining hard. Light from high beams will refect back,

causing glare and making it more diffcult to see ahead.

Some vehicles have fog lights that you should also use

under these conditions.

Oooh here's one that really gets me: When people turn on their high-beam headlights in fog at night. I just don't get how they can't see that when they turn them on, they can see LESS than when the low beams are on. It is immediately apparent, cause and effect, so why do they keep doing it? I was even taught in driver's education that you don't use high beams in the fog, and it is printed in our state's driver's guide:

Actually, high beams can help you see better in the fog, but it depends on the fog. I say this because having driven well over a million miles, and in all types of conditions, I have discovered that when it's foggy at night, I can turn my high beams on and off continuously and it helps me see the road. By continuing to turn them on and off, you can see a bit farther ahead, then turning them off helps you to see the road directly in front of you. It's done like on........off........on.......off.

This doesn't always work, since it depends on the type of fog.;)

It's funny, but every time I go to the grocery store, I find something else that drives me bananas that I had forgotten about.

I hate it when you check out at the cashier, and you have a bunch of the same item....like 12 bottles of grape PowerAde Zero. Instead of punching in 12, then swiping one bottle, they swipe one bottle at a time....till they've swiped all 12 bottles. And the worst thing, is when they swipe a bottle and it doesn't register, so they swipe it again....and again....and again. Jeez, there's 12 bottles there, just grab another one and swipe it twice!

I had a cashier do that once, and she must have swiped it a dozen times trying to get it to register. I finally spoke up and told her to just grab another bottle and swipe it twice. That seemed like a brilliant idea to her, so that's what she did, and told me how good of an idea that was.

I hate it when you check out at the cashier, and you have a bunch of the same item....like 12 bottles of grape PowerAde Zero. Instead of punching in 12, then swiping one bottle, they swipe one bottle at a time....till they've swiped all 12 bottles. And the worst thing, is when they swipe a bottle and it doesn't register, so they swipe it again....and again....and again. Jeez, there's 12 bottles there, just grab another one and swipe it twice!

Just a guess here, but I think cashiers may be discouraged from doing that nowadays, due to inventory control/ordering being partly or fully automated based on quantity in vs. quantity out. A lot of products look very similar, and a cashier may put in 12 bottles of, say, sprite, when actually you had 8 bottles of diet sprite and only 4 of regular. Inventory would then be off..

The price of petrol/gas is shown as something like 124.1 cents (124.9) per litre. Next time I buy petrol I'm buying 2 litres = 248.2 cents, I'll be paying with 250 cents and I want my 1.8 cents back!

Yes, that has always bugged me also. What other product can you buy that sells for a fraction of a cent per unit? Over here, it's always $2.59.9/gal meaning two dollars and fifty nine point nine cents. How can you pay .9 cents? Nothing else is charged that way. Why can't they just make it $2.60? It would save from having to add an extra column to the gas pump.

Something else I've noticed over here....why is the cost of gasoline always an odd number? Rarely have I seen it anything else. It's always $2.57.....$2.59.....$2.61. In my area, I have only seen it an even number twice in all the years I've been driving. It was so unusual to see it, that everyone I knew who passed the sign, commented on it.